Question on the LOS Bubble?

minimi66

I notice that the LOS bubble when moved  around changes from black to clear.  I understand this relates to the "focus of attention" of the units concerned but does this indicate clear LOS onto that point and if so does it indicate clear LOS for all sub-units within that platoon etc?

Referred to p71 of the manual.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Stormin Norman said:

The observation circle is solid black, if it cannot see the point of interest. The circle is not solid if it can see the point of interest. If not on stay tactics, the platoon will move to get eyes on the point and turn it not solid.

The video clearly describes that.

What he said, yes, i wrote too fast ^^ 

What i do not understand is, when i press "E"(battle position) from commanders binocular view, should the los bubble not be more or less exactly where i aimed with the binocular(mark no2.)? Because everythime i checked it, it was somewhere else completely. Like when i aim at a road crossing, and the los bubble end up 1000m behind it or something like that.

Do i miss something?

1 minute ago, Pandur said:

What i do not understand is, when i press "E"(battle position) from commanders binocular view, should the los bubble not be more or less exactly where i aimed with the binocular(mark no2.)? Because everythime i checked it, it was somewhere else completely. Like when i aim at a road crossing, and the los bubble end up 1000m behind it or something like that.

Do i miss something?

No, you set the los bubble after you've reached you BP...

24 minutes ago, Grenny said:

No, you set the los bubble after you've reached you BP...

I see, but what is the point of pressing E then if i have to go into the map after that, to adjust it by hand. I could go into the map right away and set the tactics from there right away!?

I was under the impression that pressing E should give me a battle position right away relative to where i am looking(not only in bearing but also distance), since getting in contact with the enemy, pressing E, and first going into the map to fiddle with the los bubble is a bit unpractical.

But now i at least know why sometimes things happen completely different to what i have planed since there are a few seconds where vehicles adjust to a los bubble that is at a wrong distance till i go into the map and set it by hand.

6 minutes ago, Pandur said:

I see, but what is the point of pressing E then if i have to go into the map after that, to adjust it by hand. I could go into the map right away and set the tactics from there right away!?

I was under the impression that pressing E should give me a battle position right away relative to where i am looking(not only in bearing but also distance), since getting in contact with the enemy, pressing E, and first going into the map to fiddle with the los bubble is a bit unpractical.

But now i at least know why sometimes things happen completely different to what i have planed since there are a few seconds where vehicles adjust to a los bubble that is at a wrong distance till i go into the map and set it by hand.

Pressing "E" contains no infomration on wether you want to: Observe the area, engage into the area....or at what range you are currently locking.  The software has merely you direction of view as reference.

Also I do not think the TC head view is the reference level here...but rather the gunners optics

Edited by Grenny

• Members

When the E hotkey was devised, we had no plans to go fancy one day and also define a specific reference range.

Maybe we should change that, these days. On the face of it it's not an unreasonable request.

My main reservation is that it can also work in a negative way, that you now set a reference point that you didn't intend to, (and what if you see a target in the sky and you hit E, should the reference distance now be infinity, the edge of the visibility limit, zero, the point on the ground under the helicopter/UAV (if you happen to have it exactly in the center of your view (and how likely is that without a permanent crosshair in your F1 view)) or something in between?

Right now the "E" command is relatively safe to use: "Two o'clock, tanks, engage!"

Unrefined maybe, but you can't do much wrong - that is a very important aspect. And if you need precision, tweak your settings in the map screen. There is the constant lure to add feature X or "refinement" Y to the user interface and, in the long run, make it less intuitive to use. Very experienced users might be able to extract a little bit more honey that way, but at the same time it elevates at accessibility threshold for those who don't use it on a near-daily basis. So, I have become more conservative over the years when it comes to UI changes.

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

When the E hotkey was devised, we had no plans to go fancy one day and also define a specific reference range.

Maybe we should change that, these days. On the face of it it's not an unreasonable request.

My main reservation is that it can also work in a negative way, that you now set a reference point that you didn't intend to...

I have to say, that is just the way it works now. You look in a direction, press E and the los bubble appears somewhere.

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

...(and what if you see a target in the sky and you hit E, should the reference distance now be infinity, the edge of the visibility limit, zero, the point on the ground under the helicopter/UAV (if you happen to have it exactly in the center of your view (and how likely is that without a permanent crosshair in your F1 view)) or something in between?

Not sure where it should be when it is in the air, maybe just the way it is now, when there is no reasonable target just fall back to the way it works now, but when you aim at a spot at the ground(with binocular or a gun view) have the los bubble be exactly there.

What i know is that when you press E now, the bubble is also nowhere near where you intend it to be since you can not "intend" it right now, just give it a direction. So if there is a way to tell the game to also take distance(the spot aimed at) into account i "think" it can only be better.

If nothing else, Shift E or Ctrl E or the like could be battle position with range taken into account while just E is the way it works now.

I think that could work out fine but you are right in that you need to teach the players about it and it adds one more function or variation.

• Members

Maybe I should draw attention to the fact that hitting "E" is most of the time a reaction to an emerging threat. In those cases the LOS bubble's reference function for seeking hull-down positions is overriden by the presence of enemy anyway. The referencing of a specific location will only occur during the absence of (known) enemy, when arguably there is less urgency and you have the luxury of readjustment from the map view.

Its all good, i dont want to question the current order of things, its just that i tried to use this feature "intuitively" completely different, i thought it would be logic to use it the way i thought it is working, so that is what i tried. Lets say it was a user error ;)