SB Pro PE 4.267

Ssnake

• Members

In the next few hours the new installer files should become available, the gods of the internet permitting. Here are the release notes; it's largely about fixing a few annoying bugs, but there's now also a number of munitions to be used against infantry targets, be it from helicopters or RPGs, which might bring an interesting dynamic to some infantry-heavy scenarios.

SBProPE_4-267_RN.pdf

1 hour ago, IrishHussar said:

Justbe carefull to make a copy of your scenario folder before using the update file. It maybe that I made a mistake but the new install overwrote my scenario file.

Can't confirm. Everything kept over deinstallation of 4.265 and rinstallation of 4.267

1 hour ago, IrishHussar said:

Justbe carefull to make a copy of your scenario folder before using the update file. It maybe that I made a mistake but the new install overwrote my scenario file.

Remark here: saving a back-up copy of \ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\scenarios only makes sense, if several different versions of Steel Beasts are installed on the same computer at the same time.

User-created scenarios should be saved to \My Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios, which is never overwritten during SB updates. Same applies in case, if you are editing stock scenario delivered with SB-  save it not to 'Scenarios' but to 'My scenarios'.

• Administrators

There are ways to juggle multiple versions and make it work.  I wouldn't recommend it for the average user, though.  Most folks should uninstall the old version and install the new one.  The bundle installer will handle running the uninstaller.

• 2 weeks later...

With the bundle installer it seems that the Map Packages are downloaded again.

That's 14 GB.

1. Correct ?

2. Should I do this ?

Asking as I have this Map Package already

- but the Release Notes mention there is a new base map: "Bergen-Soltau-Munster", that I don't see under C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages

Thx ! 

image.png.f830ffac1d5ad5abef5e39ed7c206f9f.png

• Members

If you have the old map packages and if you haven't removed them, there's no need to download and install them again.

The Bergen-Soltau-Munster map package was rolled into the Steel Beasts installer to precisely avoid you having to re-download 14 GByte of otherwise completely redundant data. Not, that 14 GByte is much in the age of 4K TV streaming, or by today's game standards (e.g. The Outer Worlds consumes 75 GByte, to name an example...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The legacy maps installer doesn't add any map that any version since 4.1 would use. It CAN make your own life easier if you have custom maps that you want to convert yourself into the new map package format; otherwise it's completely superfluous.

If you think that you're missing maps, it's hard for me to respond adequately. The folder for the map packages in total should be approximately 14 GByte in size, possibly more if you downloaded custom maps since 2019. If it's significantly less, then maybe you should run the map packages installer again. 

6 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

The legacy maps installer doesn't add any map that any version since 4.1 would use. It CAN make your own life easier if you have custom maps that you want to convert yourself into the new map package format; otherwise it's completely superfluous.

If you think that you're missing maps, it's hard for me to respond adequately. The folder for the map packages in total should be approximately 14 GByte in size, possibly more if you downloaded custom maps since 2019. If it's significantly less, then maybe you should run the map packages installer again. 

Uh oh.  My map packages folder is less than 1GB.  Okay back to the installer.

Nope.  That did not help.  I see the box to download 14gb of maps packages, but it doesn't want to do it, says I have it all locally.  I get about six maps out of that?

ETA: Going to try downloading the separate maps installer.  I seem to recall that in my prior install I had a huge list of maps including updates of older maps into the more recent format?

Edited by Maj.Hans

My friend had a problem that installer didn't want to install maps. No matter what he did. Only small portion maps were installed. 

It turned out that problem was that he didn't have enough hard drive space on his main drive. We thought it wouldn't be problem because he would install those on other drive but it was. Because I suppose those needed to be downloaded first.. and as download wasn't able to fit on main drive to be installed on other drive.  Perhaps your case is something similar?

• Members

The first thing to check is if the path given in the Steel Beasts Main Menu ... Options ... File Paths is pointing to the right location. If not, copy its content into where the bulk of the other (seemingly missing) map packages are; on the first run I would skip the option to overwrite already existing files (if you are prompted for it, maybe you won't).

Then (and only then) change the file path to the real location.

Restart Steel Beasts, and the maps will be all there.

Then, if you later find no problem with the six map packages from the old location, you can safely delete the old folder and its subdirectories.