Questions about towing vehicles.

Higgs

Two questions for the experienced Steel Beasts user.

1st When my radio is down, is it possible to tow another vehicle? I couldn't tow one vehicle and the only damage my rescue vehicle had was a radio damage. It worked with another tank that was fully operational. (All three vehicles were Leopard 2A5's so the size should not have been the problem.)

2nd When I'm in a tank that is being towed away, my vision is shaking all over the place. It is not possible to engage enemy manualy which is a bit of a shame. Has anyone made a similar experience and knows hot to fix it or is it a "feature"?

If someone knows an answer to either question I'd appreciate it.

Also have a lovely day everyone!

1. Yes.

However because loss of the radio means you aren't getting map updates, your position as per the map doesn't align with the 3D world.

Unsure what you mean by "couldn't tow one vehicle"?

If you weren't close enough the vehicle you want to tow will not show the call sign when you click on it. Remember tanks, as opposed to recovery vehicles, only have shortish tow ropes (2-3m).

Or did it not display "hitching" in the lower left hand corner?

Also the vehicle you are trying to tow with needs to be heavier than you want to tow. (e.g. A M1A2SEP without a mine plough can not tow a M1A2SEP with a mine plough attached).

Or something else?

The more detail you can supply, the clearer the situation becomes.

2. I'm not sure that is something that needs to be "fixed". If the engine or APU isn't running you are unlikely to have stab (let alone power traverse/ elevation) so engagements are likely to be using emergency / manual mode.

I'd leave the shooting to the AI and focus on getting out of there if the enemy is that close.

1. Unsure what you mean by "couldn't tow one vehicle"?
I was definitely close enough. All vehicles were exactly the same without any mine plows or anything. The only damage the vehicles had was one Leopard with an injured driver and the other one with a broken radio. (Obviously I tried to attach the rope from the working tank to the one I wanted to tow. Not sure if it's supposed to work the other way round.)
When I tried to attach the tow rope it didn't give me the possibility to attach it to another vehicle. (I don't know how to properly explain it so I'll just do my best.) Usually when you click "tow another vehicle" you can see your mouse on the screen and when you hower over another tank it shows the callsing. After clicking you can see it worked it the lover left corner.
Now in my situtaion I couldn't enter that "mode". Meaning clicking "tow another vehicle" didn't do anything.
Similar thing happens when you try to reload but your ready rack is full. The tank just does nothing and your mouse disappears. The same thing happened but it did not attach the rope.

2. I'm aware that without power you couldn't properly use the turret but that's not really what happend. My engine was still running only the driver was injured. I had little time so I opted to tow the tank away instead of holding the position and wait for a medic etc.
But the shaking wasn't something you'd see with broken stabilisation. My sigh was going all over the place very quickly. Not just when driving around a corner or over a bumpy road.

If the engine or APU isn't running you are unlikely to have stab (let alone power traverse/ elevation) so engagements are likely to be using emergency / manual mode.
While I generally agree with that I feel like this isn't modeled in yet is it? Maybe I'm wrong about this but I feel like tanks have unlimited power don't they? (I could very well be wrong about this but it hadn't happened to me that a tank ran out of electric power.)

I'd leave the shooting to the AI and focus on getting out of there if the enemy is that close.

Fair enough.

Don't get me wrong neither of these things are game breaking or anything, I was just wondering if they were supposed to be this way. I don't think I did anything wrong with the mechanics.

Anyway I appreaciate your response.

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

If the engine or APU isn't running you are unlikely to have stab (let alone power traverse/ elevation) so engagements are likely to be using emergency / manual mode.

While I generally agree with that I feel like this isn't modeled in yet is it? Maybe I'm wrong about this but I feel like tanks have unlimited power don't they? (I could very well be wrong about this but it hadn't happened to me that a tank ran out of electric power.)

Yes it is.

The various Tutorials (you have played them, haven't you ;) ) cover these sorts of degraded gunnery scenarios.

The "Gunnery I" Tutorial for the Leo 2A4 and 2A5 (based on your avatar) specifically covers the loss of hydraulics (tap, tap, tap, ... to traverse or elevate, etc.).

Edited by Gibsonm

The various Tutorials (you have played them, haven't you ;) ) cover these sorts of degraded gunnery scenarios.
I have actually played them I just don't remeber them talking about runing out of power but instead having a damaged vehicle. That the emergency modes are modeled is clear. Maybe I missunderstood what you mean, but I still think your tank won't run out of hydraulic/electric power? However those system can get damaged.

The "Gunnery I" Tutorial for the Leo 2A4 and 2A5 (based on your avatar) specifically covers the loss of hydraulics (tap, tap, tap, ... to traverse or elevate, etc.).
I do know how to enter those modes and also how to manually range etc.

5 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Issue 2

Might be a lag induced shaking.

You know, towing tank exerts force, computer does calculation, small but discernable delay, towed tank moves.

Repeat XYZ times a second.

This could very well be the problem. Sounds like a reasonable answer. Thank you.