Map Editor

EasyE

So I feel like I should know the answer to this.

Recently reinstalled the game using the 2.68 link and maps on a new computer, everything works great.  Its been about two years off and I am very pumped to use my new gaming rig.

Except when I open the terrain/map editor, the editor tools are not able to be selected? They are there but not able to be used. 

I am sure this something I did wrong on the install. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, EasyE said:

So I feel like I should know the answer to this.

Recently reinstalled the game using the 2.68 link and maps on a new computer, everything works great.  Its been about two years off and I am very pumped to use my new gaming rig.

Except when I open the terrain/map editor, the editor tools are not able to be selected? They are there but not able to be used. 

I am sure this something I did wrong on the install. Any ideas?

Thanks!

You have probaly opened a "published" map.

On unpublished maps...the tools will work

22 minutes ago, EasyE said:

That is the case. Thanks

I do think I screwed up my install as I don't have the hgt or ter populated to select from. 

Things have changed and now maps are packages.

And as you start to discover it, to make understanding easier, 'published map' means locked and compressed (-R-X) and a 'delta' is an uncompressed editable copy of a previous version (-RWX).

Edited by stormrider_sp

• Members
5 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

Things have changed and now maps are packages.

And as you start to discover it, to make understanding easier, 'published map' means locked and compressed (-R-X) and a 'delta' is an uncompressed editable copy of a previous version (-RWX).

Both base maps and delta maps can be published (locked and compressed), or unpublished (editable).

For any scenario to use a delta map outside of the Mission Editor, the delta map must be published (it's the only way to guarantee that everybody will see the same terrain).

Base maps require more disk space when published. Delta maps typically require very little extra disk space. However, they will always depend on a base map, as they only store the differences to that base map. Therefore, in a map package, there must always be (exactly) one base map, but it may also contain a (potentially large) number of delta maps. In addition, a map package can contain custom buildings and custom textures.

That's why we call them "map packages" now, because they are a collection of elements that can amount to a radically different appearance of the environment.

• Members

Absolutely not. It was the name of a fictional place, and the map itself more of a technology demonstrator.

Mostly, the option for custom buildings and other map objects is something that our military customers use to create geospecific terrain databases. One of the maps in preparation is of "the German NTC" - the GÜZ Altmark with its central urban combat village "Schnöggersburg". You'll see there that all the buildings in that village have their individual floor plans, and of course, Steel Beasts not being a first person shooter, that in itself will only have limited appeal. Nevertheless, each building has the correct location, footprint, and elevation, so it's not the worst representation of the training site.

Our customers often want to see a certain area of interest represented with building models that serve as a landmark for orientation, and that requires substantially different workflow processes than how maps are usually made for SB Pro PE, which are not only designed for functionality but also, within the limitations of what our engine allows, beauty.

On 11/23/2021 at 4:44 PM, Ssnake said:

Both base maps and delta maps can be published (locked and compressed), or unpublished (editable).

For any scenario to use a delta map outside of the Mission Editor, the delta map must be published (it's the only way to guarantee that everybody will see the same terrain).

Base maps require more disk space when published. Delta maps typically require very little extra disk space. However, they will always depend on a base map, as they only store the differences to that base map. Therefore, in a map package, there must always be (exactly) one base map, but it may also contain a (potentially large) number of delta maps. In addition, a map package can contain custom buildings and custom textures.

That's why we call them "map packages" now, because they are a collection of elements that can amount to a radically different appearance of the environment.

Thanks for the update... I have been away from PC gaming for a while and am needing to get caught up.