eSim Games Christmas Lottery

Ssnake

4 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

So those black drones with 4 propellers are suicide interceptor drones to kill counter? suicide loitering drones?

Counter drones with drones. Ahahah. I can't but wonder how all these are deployed.  I suppose like micro UAV. 

I didn't even know interceptor drones existed IRL ^^

Can APS be activated by drones if too close?

Edited by BlackDeath

Thank you E-Sim team!

Over the years (to many to count) you have been rock solid with quality and commitment to us, your customers and, fans.

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by 12Alfa
Disclamer: Some abuse to gunner handles did happen due to missing trg's

• Members
8 hours ago, BlackDeath said:

I didn't even know interceptor drones existed IRL

Well, we're working from marketing brochures and videos here (which never lie or embellish), and we're adding a certain amount of speculation about their functional capability limits. So, treat it a. as a glimpse into the not too distant future, and b. as a sheer necessity to retain a minimum degree of protection against at least some classes of drones given that most NATO members have given up on AAA.

8 hours ago, BlackDeath said:

Can APS be activated by drones if too close?

I don't believe so. A radar echo needs to indicate the attacking projectile to be in a certain velocity band, and drones should be universally slower that the lower threshold (which might be around 100m/sec, maybe as low as 70m/sec (IOW, must be at least somewhere between 250...360 km/h)). Also, the trajectory would have to indicate that it's on a collision course with the protected volume of the APS, so a really fast, jet-powered drone is likely to fly high above.

I mean, either a drone is highly capable and highly complex. Then it's unlikely to be wasted in a suicide attack mission. Or it's cheap enough to be wasted in the anti-vehicular role, but then it's probably not very sophisticated. Case in point, the S-600 loitering munition is propeller driven and electrically powered, with a top dive speed of around 190km/h (if I remember the datasheet correctly). It's certainly cheaper than a Javelin missile and has arguably a higher utility value, but as an aerial vehicle its complexity level is closer to a model airplane than it is to a Bayraktar TB2 or Global Hawk (and for a loitering munition, maybe you even want it to fly slowly so the operator has enough time to observe and identify).

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I don't believe so. A radar echo needs to indicate the attacking projectile to be in a certain velocity band, and drones should be universally slower that the lower threshold (which might be around 100m/sec, maybe as low as 70m/sec (IOW, must be at least somewhere between 250...360 km/h)). Also, the trajectory would have to indicate that it's on a collision course with the protected volume of the APS, so a really fast, jet-powered drone is likely to fly high above.

I mean, either a drone is highly capable and highly complex. Then it's unlikely to be wasted in a suicide attack mission. Or it's cheap enough to be wasted in the anti-vehicular role, but then it's probably not very sophisticated. Case in point, the S-600 loitering munition is propeller driven and electrically powered, with a top dive speed of around 190km/h (if I remember the datasheet correctly). It's certainly cheaper than a Javelin missile and has arguably a higher utility value, but as an aerial vehicle its complexity level is closer to a model airplane than it is to a Bayraktar TB2 or Global Hawk (and for a loitering munition, maybe you even want it to fly slowly so the operator has enough time to observe and identify).

So theorically, vehicles APS could still updated to intercept at least those loitering drones if they become too much of a nuisance, I suppose ?

I hope there still is a way to evade those new threats in Steel Beasts, though!

19 minutes ago, BlackDeath said:

So theorically, vehicles APS could still updated to intercept at least those loitering drones if they become too much of a nuisance, I suppose ?

I hope there still is a way to evade those new threats in Steel Beasts, though!

Certainly... drones don't like trees. xD   (or lets say..  even less than AFVs)   

And that enemy could even deploy drones effectively...  it would first need to know where you are.  So...  be unpredictable, and avoid being detected.  And if you are.. re-locate!

If you need to be where there is risk of drones and no cover, hopefully you have method to deal with it -> Enough units guns to be able to deploy sufficient MG fire / High explosive programmable rounds, or some sort of anti air vehicle with small guns able to send huge volume to air. Or perhaps...  Canister rounds on tanks (if by change you spotted drones on low altitude) . 

Drones are yet one more thing to constantly asses on battlefield.  

28 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

Certainly... drones don't like trees. xD   (or lets say..  even less than AFVs)   

And that enemy could even deploy drones effectively...  it would first need to know where you are.  So...  be unpredictable, and avoid being detected.  And if you are.. re-locate!

If you need to be where there is risk of drones and no cover, hopefully you have method to deal with it -> Enough units guns to be able to deploy sufficient MG fire / High explosive programmable rounds, or some sort of anti air vehicle with small guns able to send huge volume to air. Or perhaps...  Canister rounds on tanks (if by change you spotted drones on low altitude) . 

Drones are yet one more thing to constantly asses on battlefield.  

Detecting that thing coming at you at 100km/h is going to be quite a challenge. Well actually so are javelins and other missiles.

AeroVironment Switchblade - Wikipedia

So updating the list, we might have in next version :

- camcopter

- loitering drones

- drone countering drones

- attack drones

- T72B3

Edited by BlackDeath

5 minutes ago, BlackDeath said:

Detecting that thing coming at you at 100km/h is going to be quite a challenge. Well actually so are javelins and other missiles.

That still takes long time. 100km / h  sounds impressive..  but it is not anywhere near of Javelin or even TOW

1 min for 1.7~ km.     

30s    for  840~ meters 

15s    for  420~ meters  

Still it is a challenge. Perhaps... tanks will get minigun turrets like ships xD    BBBBRRRT!  

27 minutes ago, BlackDeath said:

So updating the list, we might have in next version :

- camcopter

- loitering drones

- drone countering drones

- attack drones

- T72B3

Well, the faster an Object is, the easier it is to detect(amonst the ground clutter) and track via radar...slow moving drones close to the ground, are a challange