User controlled Infantry Bug?

davout3

Hello everyone,

I noticed that usually after or even during combat between infantry units in the game, some of the user-controlled infantry units refuse to take any orders to move and they just remain in place. Some even just keep standing after being given the order to go prone. Has anyone else experienced this issue? And if so, is there anything the user can do to get the infantry units to respond to orders once more?  (I am not complaining about the infantry issue, I think it has made really good progress in the last few years and am very grateful to see that component in the game) Thank you!

19 minutes ago, davout3 said:

Hello everyone,

I noticed that usually after or even during combat between infantry units in the game, some of the user-controlled infantry units refuse to take any orders to move and they just remain in place. Some even just keep standing after being given the order to go prone. Has anyone else experienced this issue? And if so, is there anything the user can do to get the infantry units to respond to orders once more?  (I am not complaining about the infantry issue, I think it has made really good progress in the last few years and am very grateful to see that component in the game) Thank you!

Have not seen this happening.

Will have a look.

• Members

It doesn't sound like "a feature", though it's hard to understand from what you described if it's a known bug or if you discovered something new.

There's no obvious way what you could do in such a situation. My approach would be to "reset" the starting condition of the "frozen" unit by issuing new orders. If the unit doesn't follow a route, giving it a new route command is less likely to break the current deadlock. So maybe order the unit to assume a battleposition again, just in a different direction, and only then give them a new movement command. Or to change the formation of the unit, and if they react to that, then make them do what you wanted them to do in the first place.

That's of course not the end of the matter. If there is a problem - could be AI code, could be a network issue - we're going to investigate the matter. Anything that you can tell us to narrow down the problem, ideally a scenario (as small and short as possible) that demonstrates the problem, would be of immense value.

Hi Ssnake,

Thank you for the prompt response! In terms of specifics, I was playtesting an older scenario (2017 scenario) in the scenario editor. I had a US Mech Infantry platoon (M2A3 mounted) dismounted when engaging the OPFOR infantry that was in a building. (the scenario had other armored and mech units performing other tasks while this was ongoing)The M2 Bradleys were firing at the OPFOR infantry in the building. The platoon dismounted, but only half the platoon moved and opened fire when I gave the Engage order at a location closer to the OPFOR position. The other half stayed close to the IFV they just dismounted from (not sure if they were returning fire or they just remained in prone). After the OPFOR was neutralized, I tried giving each of the Squads a new route. Those that stayed back were unresponsive to the new route order. I had them change posture, some squads obeyed, others that were in prone did not react. But they all refused to start their new route. I used the editor commands to remove them for an instant from the scenario and then revived them, hoping to reset their status. But the same problem persisted. This also happened to one of the squads that attacked the OPFOR, where they refused to go on a new route. In the past, I also ran into this issue when I tried designing and testing a test scenario using pure infantry platoons. I had one where the platoon took fire from an OPFOR infantry unit concealed in a forest, one of the rear squads, that was not under fire, refused to continue their route, even after the combat was over.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!  

It may be possible, though they still refused to move even after combat is over and it took quite a bit of time for the BLUFOR Mech Inf to defeat the OPFOR infantry so I thought that they likely all dismounted by then. However, I am going to check the IFV mount/dismount status next time and hopefully this solves the issue!

Thank you again and keep up the excellent work!  

Umm... similar cases I have seen have been usually because PC theyre mounting or dismounting moves a little during the process?  witch usually causes all troops to be ejected out...  they should take orders though.  

Not taking orders..   I think there is button for infantry squad  "L" (like Leader) by default?   That makes infantry either to follow or not to follow leader..   or in other words..  gives you command of squad leader only, leaving others ...    idle and unresponsive unless told to follow leader?  <- would need to check that from Esims..  because I have only ever used that feature like 2 times...  >.<     so I don't really remember.   You can find it from infantry menu as well  I think.  

14 minutes ago, davout3 said:

Thank you! I will try the "follow the leader (L button)" command if that situation recurs again. 

Id recommend you to try it at your earliest convenience  to see that and how it works and to get used to it.  (I probably should too..) 

-

I suppose in theory..  with that button you could have squad leader to go ahead of team a little distance to observe (one guy is harder to spot)   or to engage with RPG  (smaller target)     

[In real life (Finnish defence forces) anti tank team does it as pair. First one shoots, and other one fires if target was missed or not destroed]  

1 hour ago, Lumituisku said:

I suppose in theory..  with that button you could have squad leader to go ahead of team a little distance to observe (one guy is harder to spot) ...

KingTiger (I think) has done a video of just that the Squad Leader moves forward and looks around and then the rest of the team moves forward to join them:

• 5 months later...

Was on the mission editor the other day and I noticed something odd. One of my APCs was hit by a mine and part of the mounted infantry dismounted. I clicked repair all on the APC and clicked mount on the APC, but the dismounted infantry no longer responds to the command of the APC. The dismounted infantry also refuses to obey any user order. They just sit there and do nothing. I clicked Attach on the dismounted infantry to the APC, and then the APC no longer becomes responsive to my commands. I tried another scenario in the mission editor, and once more, one of my APCs was hit by enemy fire. Part of the mounted infantry dismounted. When I clicked repair all on the APC, the dismounted infantry refused to obey any and all commands. I tried clicking L for follow the leader, but no luck.

I also notice the same problem with pure dismounted infantry squads in the mission editor. After a firefight, I would click repair all on a squad that sustained some casualties, and the squad would become unresponsive as a result. Same thing if I revived a squad of infantry that was destroyed, the unit is revived but it is completely unresponsive to any commands. Tried using L for follow the leader, but still no luck.

In contrast, the infantry units that were not repaired or revived are still responsive to commands. Is the repair all/revive option is meant to apply only to vehicles and not to infantry in the mission editor?  

Edited by davout3

Well the Mission Editor is there to test your scripting, setup screenshots, etc.

It doesn't necessarily react the way that a player encounters in "normal" mode.

I'm not sure if "playing" the mission in the Mission Editor is the best way to play, but if you choose to do so, then you need to be prepared for some differences.

On 11/27/2021 at 4:06 PM, davout3 said:

Hello everyone,

ive noticed that also a few times