Huge dust clouds firing MDZ 14.5 ammo from BTR60

Poofydoodle

Im currently working on a mission that has lots of 14.5 flying around with BRDM2s and BTR60s, ive noticed when firing the API in the BRDM2 and one 60 ammo no dust is kicked up but when firing the MDZ in the other a huge dust cloud is kicked up blocking the sights and when viewing it from outside it is comparable to when a 30mm or bigger cannon opens up. I feel like this isnt intentional? Or is this done to represent some irl quality of the mdz ammo? I find the 14.5 he quite fun to use but with this much dust it makes using it against infantry very difficult. I havent tried this with the brdm2 or other BTRs.

Also I noticed the MDZ and MDZM have HEI in the name but the MDZ is just HE in its type but I feel like this is intentional maybe. 

• Members

Interesting.

As an HE round, the overpressure from impact shouldn't generate that much dust - more than a pure KE round for sure, but it'd be mostly the spray of fragments, not the barely three grams of RDX that it carries. I can see no inherent reason why it would kick up a lot of dust at the muzzle, except for the type of terrain tile you're on. Which, I suspect, is the real reson here. That twho BTR-60s are baheving differently can only be explained with variations in the terrain.

The height of the muzzle above ground plays a role (but is identical), so the question is whetner one is standing on at tile with a high dustiness setting while the other is not.

For this you'd have to change the terrain theme of the map you're using, or at least to inspect it. The following video covers mobility parameters, but dust settings are in the same dialog:

Now, you can simply replace the theme in your scenario (Map menu), or choose to adjust the existing theme. It seems that if you're so surprised the one vehicle kicks up lots of dust and not the others, that the overall dustiness settings for the different tile types are highly imbalanced - something that I do not recommend. If you're in a dusty region of the world, the dust tends to be everywhere, even if some places are still worse than others. in any given map and scenario, the player should always experience only gradual differences.

The map im using is the default map "nam valley" the reduced height version. When the btrs advance together the only one kicking up dust is the one using MDZ ammo, the cloud is huge about 3 times as wide as the vehicle? I managed to get a screenshot but to get the most accurate idea you have to see it from the front. On this test of my mission I was firing from a brdm2 with api from on the same axis of advance as the btr60 carrying mdz and dont recall kicking up enough dust to obscure the gunsight or any dust whereas the btr60 loses los after the first shot.

SS_06_45_19.jpg.0a57a0f2408bdd8a5b8a587b894fa92b.jpg

• Members

Yeah, there seems to be something odd about that specific round (it's now bug #10215 ... and was filed as #9809 before, actually). What threw me off was that there were two vehicles with different behavior reported (that they had different ammo wasn't mentioned). Anyway, thanks for bringing this up; I hope to get this fixed with version 4.3.