Duplicate unit IDs

SippyCup

Thank you for pinning that topic, and also providing the tool in the editor. I was updating a scenario I made a couple of years ago when I experienced a hard reset while testing. This was after hours of adjustment and restarting during a marathon editing session over the weekend, so I didn't think too much of it, being my first ever crash in SB. It's been rock solid for years. But then it happened again exactly when rockets hit particular infantry. I recalled the post here and the tool so checked and it was a duplicate. I watched and the crash happened again when they took fire. That was the problem, so I fixed it.

It didn't end there, however. I experienced 2 more resets in game as well as loss of video. Then it happened out of game 3 times, even after reboots. This was all within an hour of the initial one. Turns out the first or second reset had mangled my GPU drivers so I ran a clean install and everything's fine now.

TL;DR: Thanks for keeping relevant info easily accessible. You likely saved me from weeks of confusion had I not realized the source of the initial crash. I learned my lesson regarding IDs and won't ever forget it.

EDIT:

Not sure if it's relevant info, but after the initial crash and until I fixed my drivers, the password box in the editor wasn't popping up automatically. I'd have to click a coalition to get the prompt. Now they are fixed, it pops up when I open the scenario again. Not sure how that is related but it definitely seems to be. Also, my crashes out of game all occurred within seconds or minutes of opening Chrome. I don't have any error logs, it was just instant reboot.

Edited by SippyCup

• Members

Yeah, we aren't exactly happy about that bug since we will never know how many scenarios are contaminated with it, and each duplicate ID has the potential to do bad things if undetected. Unfortunately there is no easy way to identify such scenarios - other than loading the scenarios in the Mission Editor, then unloading all infantry from all vehicles, and finally checking for the duplicate IDs in the Mission Debugger.

I believe I induced it by dividing units after already setting a trigger for that group. Seems like there are plenty of circumstances where a duplicate ID is not an issue until you make it one, which I did in this revision. I know now though, and having to be aware of it forces you to be more in tune with what you're doing. It reminds me of G-code. You have to build that mental map of your work or you will break something, and it only makes you better in the long run. The map and scenario editors are really well designed and are a pleasure to work with.

I also learned that my graphics card (5600 XT) becomes completely unstable after certain crashes, even after reinstalling drivers. You have to update the drivers through device manager (don't know why I ever stopped doing this) and not AMD's installer.

Cheers