Haters of the manual keyboard turret traverse on the Scimitar, a helpful solution I discovered.

Poofydoodle

The Scimitar is one of my favorite vehicles in the game so it makes me sad when people say they cant stand playing it as it makes me feel like any scenarios I make using it will not be very popular. Also hammering the keys CAN get tiring.

https://www.rewasd.com/macro-controller

Here is a 14 day free trial of a very capable program, the ui is a little confusing at first. You also need to go to licenses and enable the 3 day trial of the turbo feature. If you decide to purchase the program is 7 dollars and turbo is another 7 dollars iirc.

This program can also allow you to set multiple profiles on the fly and make little macros etc so you could setup custom profiles for different vehicles that you can change with a keyboard key combination which I imagine some people may find useful, for example not having a button bound to laser rangefinder in a vehicle that doesn't have one thus being a wasted bind.

You then bind your gamepad (or I imagine joystick, keyboard, or mouse it seems to support) button of choice to the same binding as your turret traverse and enable the turbo function. You can adjust the delay I have 100ms on horizontal and 150ms on up and down but I may go to 200 for up and down. This will make holding that button repeatedly tap the keyboard key.

Now before anyone asks this does not give you any kind of unfair advantage, you still have to deal with the turret taking time to speed up and you still have to counter the delay as the turret stops, also overall transverse speed is still very slow so this will not break the game in any way or give you an unfair advantage in PVE MP. In my opinion it doesn't present an unfair advantage in PVP either but I personally wouldn't run it unless everyone is on the same page and familiar with it.

I hope this makes some people more willing to try out the Scimitar and other manual vehicles they dislike so we can take advantage of the hard work put into them by the devs and maybe well get 3d interior for the Scimitar soon. 😄

Edited by Poofydoodle

I'm guessing that some will still view this as an exploit.

4 hours ago, Poofydoodle said:

hope this makes some people more willing to try out the Scimitar and other manual vehicles they dislike so we can take advantage of the hard work put into them by the devs

The smoldering wreckage from The Battle Against Manual Traverse design can still be found on the forums from last summer, and we were told that it's not changing, so I won't even go there.

If the devs change their position on the design of these manual traverse vehicles then that'll be awesome and a bunch of players will be really happy. 

1 hour ago, Lumituisku said:

I personally hope that on later versions after work with UI is complete and most of high priority stuff... There would perhaps come possibility to choose between different methods of manual traverse.

The vehicle does have 2 speeds of manual traverse (coarse and fine), but neither are anywhere near the same as powered traverse. 6400 mils in X minutes, not 6400 mils in less than a minute.

15 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I'm guessing that some will still view this as an exploit.

The smoldering wreckage from The Battle Against Manual Traverse design can still be found on the forums from last summer, and we were told that it's not changing, so I won't even go there.

If the devs change their position on the design of these manual traverse vehicles then that'll be awesome and a bunch of players will be really happy. 

Totally understand if people arent cool with this in a PVP game, I wouldnt run it unless everyone is cool with it. It still gives performance inferior to a powered turret. This program can also be used to bind key combinations to one button and other neat things and you can switch keybinds on the fly using a keyboard combination so it could be used to create custom keybinds for each vehicle you use that can be changed on the fly.

Just thought it might help some people in single player as it seems quite a few vehicles are basically ignored because of this being replaced by proxy vehicles. Mainly the Warrior and Scimitar I believe?

I have used the slow gearing in the scimitar but in my opinion its basically not needed except maybe in leading a target.

I messed with this a bit last night and in my opinion it still gives a fun challenge of having to compensate for recoil and a much different feel than a normal powered turret which in my opinion can be quite fun and the Scimitar being so fast with a decently powerful gun that can pierce the side armor of some MBTs with the best ammo and with good gun depression makes for fun gameplay imo, might be my fav vehicle until we get a playble BRDM-2 ATGM or one with a Kliver turret although I doubt that being anytime soon.