Setting up throttle and rudder pedals

Glock

• Members

Multiple joysticks are currently not supported, and in any case, controller input is "localized" (that is, if you're in the commander's position you can't directly drive the tank anyway, just give commands to the driver). In that context, I don't think that it'll work the way you probably have in mind.

That being said, in the Controls dialog (Alt+C) you can configure joystick axes; pedals and thrust are just additional axes in the sense of this dialog.

I made a post about this a few days ago but you can try a 14 day free trial (the actual program is quite cheap) of a program called rewasd. This program lets you bind different gamepad/joystick/keyboard commands etc to other keyboard commands, macros, turbo functions etc and switch bindings on the fly using a keyboard combo. Im not sure if you could get analogue control working but it can be easier to setup different binds to try or different setups for different vehicles or bind things in a way the game doesn't like by default.

I'm not sure about the Warthog, but the software for my Saitek X52 allowed me to program the throttle as "bands", each of which could simulate a keyboard button press. So, for example: I set the throttle to have 5 "bands". Going from closed throttle to open, they simulated the button presses for reverse, stop and then three forward button presses. Only problem with that setup was that if I moved the throttle from stop to fast speed (2x forward button presses) and then back down to what you think would be slow, I ended up at top speed because that was actually another forward button press. So you'd have to move all the way back down to stop and then up to slow. If that makes sense.

It worked. But in the end I decided it was actually easier for me to just use the keyboard. I think there is a thread around here somewhere that has my old X52 profile in it.

• Members

The problem with thrust level bands is, you at least need to program each band to start with a Stop command followed by the speed level. Otherwise there can be "offset" cases where a simple increment or decrement results in the wrong speed level (and be it just that you accidentally hit W, S, or X on the keyboard). Like, you teleport from a vehicle that you set to medium speed level with 75% thrust, and you then teleport to a vehicle that's stopped. It would only recognize a speed command if you actually move the thrust lever across a band threshold. If that just triggers a W or X command, your new neutral velocity is at 75% thrust, so you'd have to pull the thrust into neutral (X,X) then hit S on the keyboard to stop the vehicle from reversing.

Given that no military land combat vehicle has thrust levers anyway, my conclusion is that it's simply not worth the effort. But, whatever floats your boat.