Team Yankee height and terrain maps

mpow66m

Do you know the name of the terrain (ter) and height (hgt) files?

They should appear in an error message when you try to open the scenario.

I suspect they (and the scenario) may not have been upgraded/converted to the new mapping standard.

The original mission designer may well have embedded the map in the scenario, so you may not have a free standing file to convert and will need to extract and convert the file.

This thread appears to support that idea:

Edited by Gibsonm

20 minutes ago, mpow66m said:

Teamyankee.terrain

hm.hgt

And do you get an error message?

A search using "Teamyankee" in the maps section of the downloads came up with no hits.

I think therefore (esp. if you can confirm an error message) that the map has not been made into a map package.

That gives you two options:

1. Play the scenario you have in a copy of Steel Beasts earlier than 4.1.

2. Update the scenario to use a map package. This will involved either updating the Terrain file, or if the map is embedded with the scenario perhaps convert several files, as I suspect every scenario probably uses a slightly different piece of map.

Edited by Gibsonm

I opened those scenarios by Crusty in an older version of SB.  I found the maps to be:

Teamyank1.ter     hmap.raw

Yankee2.ter          Irwin.raw

team3.ter             Irwin.raw

yankee.ter            hmap.raw

Forest2.ter           Wolf.raw

I can't open the "Team Yankee 6 Red Dawn" scenario because something is messed up.

Edited by TSe419E

• Members

Yeah, but that was a long time ago. Maps work now completely differently:

We introduced map packages to make modding of textures easier and for more flexibility with land objects to fit different climate zones.

We had to curb the otherwise insane inflation of storage space (due to increasing the terrain resolution by factor 256); so there's now "base maps" and "delta maps" (all belonging to the same map package, though).

Since delta maps depend on base maps, maps had to be locked against further modification.

Since map names are just that, we had to introduce unique identifiers to make sure that in multiplayer games everybody was working off the same map (but how do you know that maps are identical and not just "very similar"?); since these Map UIDs are not suitable for the way how humans think, we had to automatize the transfer of these maps, hence the addition of tools like the Map Transfer Manager, and map servers.

So, those are the changes in a nutshell.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Yeah, but that was a long time ago. Maps work now completely differently:

We introduced map packages to make modding of textures easier and for more flexibility with land objects to fit different climate zones.

We had to curb the otherwise insane inflation of storage space (due to increasing the terrain resolution by factor 256); so there's now "base maps" and "delta maps" (all belonging to the same map package, though).

Since delta maps depend on base maps, maps had to be locked against further modification.

Since map names are just that, we had to introduce unique identifiers to make sure that in multiplayer games everybody was working off the same map (but how do you know that maps are identical and not just "very similar"?); since these Map UIDs are not suitable for the way how humans think, we had to automatize the transfer of these maps, hence the addition of tools like the Map Transfer Manager, and map servers.

So, those are the changes in a nutshell.

Ahhh sounds like i need to be an IT guy to get this going.ill read over all the l Iinks  and give it a try.if not ill be pming gibson on TS lol for help.

• Members

Actually, we tried to make this as much "doesn't have to be an IT guy to solve this" as we could. It's just that things are different, and you need to understand two or three new concepts (such as "published maps" (locked against editing) vs "unpublished" (can only be used locally while testing a scenario), or that map packages contain now more than just a height map and a terrain map that may or may not have coinciding file names).

16 hours ago, mpow66m said:

ok things hv changed quite a bit,lol.what do i do with the map packages?

copy the directories into the appropriates named directories:

The contain of Documents in C:\Users\User\Documents

the contain of Maps in your maps directory 

• Members

Ideally, let the map transfer manager handle this (but then you need to download the packages from a map server). If a downloaded map doesn't show up in the Map Selection dialog when clicking on the Map Editor entry in the Main Menu, it's probably in the wrong place. "The right place" can be identified in the Main Menu ... Options ... File Paths