4.2XXX Maps "upgrade" process?

Gibsonm

In 2020 I downloaded a copy of this map:

It now appears there is a newer version.

However when I attempt to download it (via the map editor) the software reports that "ba35121c-94eb-456c-9ffb-774622d46ecf" already exists on my machine and will not download the newer version.

I have tried closing Steel Beasts, relocating the previous map package (moving, not copying) to a shared drive, so the original wasn't lost and relaunching but again the Map Editor wont download it, even though it no longer resides in the specified map package location.

Similarly I've tried just renaming "Wolfsburg_Dahlum" to say "Wolfsburg_Dahlum old" but of course that doesn't matter because the software uses "ba35121c-94eb-456c-9ffb-774622d46ecf" not the human friendly label.

Questions:

1. Is there an option to download the package without using the Map Editor interface to bypass this issue?

I want to review the new version compared to the earlier version.

2. If I have to delete the previous version of the map package I guess any enclosed "deltas" go too?

As more and more authors revise their product I guess this will become more of an issue.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Gibsonm changed the title to 4.2XXX Maps "upgrade" process?
5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I'll have to run this by the programmers.

I too have a problem with this file. Downloaded to the map packages directory okay. 

When opened in Map Editor it displays a featureless map devoid of buildings, trees, roads, bridges. Just a green map.

The screen shots of the map show it has these improvements. What is wrong? 

1 hour ago, Sean said:

That package only had the base map, the delta had to be uploaded separately.  Try: 83b496f3-2e61-490c-99c1-9af48903c8e2 instead.  

Thanks.

I'll let you know how it goes in a few hours.

I guess going forward map authors need to publish the new ID as part of the change log?

I.e.

Version 1.0: ba35121c-94eb-456c-9ffb-774622d46ecf

Version 1.1 (a Delta that builds on Ver 1.0): 83b496f3-2e61-490c-99c1-9af48903c8e2

Edited by Gibsonm

36 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

Did you click the refresh maps button?.

No.

Dare I ask why?

All I did was use "Query Map" and paste in the code that Sean supplied - which is all I've need to do in the past.

However I just tried:

1. Refresh maps

2. Query map

3. Paste in the code for the supposedly new map.

Result: exactly the same.

Hitting "Refresh maps" made no difference to the outcome.

Edited by Gibsonm

13 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

If you manually delete a map you have to use the "refresh Maps" to remove it from the database.

Even if the deletion happens with SB Pro PE not running?

I had thought the list of maps was dynamic (i.e. built when the software launches)? I could understand using "refresh maps" if I'd "Alt Tabbed" and removed the map whilst the Map Editor was running.

In any event perhaps the next iteration of the Manual can actually document what these buttons actually do.

Anyway, I suspect Sean's new code should be for a "new" map being the 2022 version, whereas the copy I have is the earlier 2019/2020 version.

Ideally I would have thought it should be a "delta" though, given that its an upgrade/improvement on his earlier product?

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
33 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I suspect Sean's new code should be for a "new" map being the 2022 version, whereas the copy I have is the earlier 2019/2020 version.

Different maps, inclusing version changes, should result in different map UIDs. Hopefully they do (otherwise you may have discovered a bigger problem). At this point, please leave everything in place so we can do proper forensics with the map files involved. We'll contact you about it.

• Members
1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

I had thought the list of maps was dynamic (i.e. built when the software launches)? I could understand using "refresh maps" if I'd "Alt Tabbed" and removed the map whilst the Map Editor was running.

This is correct. Each SB process instance maintains its own list of map packages (and if the process quits this list is lost). The 'refresh' button really is only needed if the user manually adds/deletes/modifies a map package 'outside' of the tools the SB UI provides (not recommended, but necessary sometimes..)

• Members
On 2/8/2022 at 10:53 AM, Gibsonm said:

In 2020 I downloaded a copy of this map:

[...]

Did you download it from this download page? I went back and downloaded 'version 1' (from Sep 05, 2019), and then the (confusingly named) 'version 1' (from Sep 08, 2019) and these archives are binary identical (even though the changelog says that there are "Fewer rocks and more heaps and holes in the ground! "). Then I compared the map package metadata from the delta contained in the downloaded archive to the delta I downloaded using the '83b496f3-2e61-490c-99c1-9af48903c8e2' UID and found that these are ALSO identical.

You wrote 'It now appears there is a newer version. ' but at least to me it seems that there is in fact NO update at all, which then of course makes it clear why SB refused to do anything (because there is no change!). So I'm confused, where did you see this announcement about the new version?

Hi, everyone!

I don't understand the confusion. The current map "Wolfsburg_Dahlum" is from Sep 08, 2019!

Sean asked me:

"Hi,

Are you ok with me adding this to the sb.com map server?  Someone wants the use the map in a scenario."

Of course I agreed!

Something seems to have gone wrong now, but not from me!

• Administrators

That map is exactly the same as the last one that was there.  Someone requested that I package and post the map to the sb.com map server so that they could easily use it in a scenario.  When I initally ran the package tool against the files, it only built a base map package.  I posted that thinking I was done.  I had to run it again the next day and point it directly to the delta to package that separately.  I left a note stating that I uploaded it to the map server, but maybe standard users don't see it.

8 hours ago, Retro said:

Did you download it from this download page? I went back and downloaded 'version 1' (from Sep 05, 2019), and then the (confusingly named) 'version 1' (from Sep 08, 2019) and these archives are binary identical (even though the changelog says that there are "Fewer rocks and more heaps and holes in the ground! "). Then I compared the map package metadata from the delta contained in the downloaded archive to the delta I downloaded using the '83b496f3-2e61-490c-99c1-9af48903c8e2' UID and found that these are ALSO identical.

You wrote 'It now appears there is a newer version. ' but at least to me it seems that there is in fact NO update at all, which then of course makes it clear why SB refused to do anything (because there is no change!). So I'm confused, where did you see this announcement about the new version?

I love being asked numerous questions in one post. :(

8 hours ago, Retro said:

Did you download it from this download page?

No, because the "download" is just a text file.

I used the code that the author provided.

8 hours ago, Retro said:

If there were no changes why does the exact same map re-appear some two years after the original was uploaded???

image.png.409fac88e34702e95784fcecf1c68a13.png

This area used to display "new" files.

If that's not the case what is the new criteria for files appearing in the top right hand corner?????

This to me is further reinforced by the comment on the map's page about it being released "yesterday":

"What's New in Version 1   

Released Yesterday at 12:08 AM"

If its not "new" then why isn't the release date 06 SEP 19?

Edited by Gibsonm

9 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

If that's not the case what is the new criteria for files appearing in the top right hand corner?????

I noticed that one of my files appeared on the top of the side area by just EDITING DETAILS for some of the information. Not necessarily even adding a NEW VERSION. I changed the description of one of my scenarios and it was back at the top of this list. 

However, THIS is the true list of the latest 14 uploaded files. What isn't shown here is files that were updated.

image.thumb.png.39eef3eaa86b4300ccff67faa22003e4.png

Edited by Apocalypse 31

• Moderators

Regarding the "Refresh Maps" button, to be clear, for anyone wondering, this question was asked because this is a standard thing to try. How does anyone know if someone is manually deleting a map while still looking in the map list within the same session? (it happens often, to me at least)

So basically, the button works exactly as it is named -- when pressed, it refreshes the maps. Specifically, it scans the map folders and reloads the data in that map list and updates it.  If you restarted SB in the mean time, then it refreshes the maps when you first load that list in that session.  Of course it would be nice if the manual explained that detail, sure, but for the most part it should be straight forward. 

But it is simply one of the first things to try if loading or deleting maps within the same session.  👌

Edit:

Now that is the button inside of Steel Beasts (when opening the Map Editor).  There is a "Refresh" (maps) button also in the Map Transfer Manager app which behaves in a similar way (refreshing its own cache, which it automatically does when you start it or when you download a map within the app).

Hopefully that clears up the button's function. 

• Members

We might rise the point of the forum software presenting old files with new descriptions as "new downloads" with the forum software developers. Not sure if they will respond to such an inquiry, and when.

In the light of this, I suppose the point to take home is that you can trust the map UID and automatic querying. If you try downloading through a map server and you get the message that the map already exists, it already exists, and that's the end of the story; sure, you wasted your time copying the map UID and querying the server, and that's a shame. But it's also mother nature's way of telling us that we can stop doing this because everything is fine already.

A published map cannot receive an update (that's the whole point of it), just additional delta maps (which then would all have their own unique ID (that's the point about uniqueness and IDs)). Even if you only have the UID of a delta map but no knowledge about its parent base map, the Map Package Transfer Manager will download both from the Map Server (if they exist) without further action from your end.

The key to convenience and assured transfers is that map packages be distributed through a map server. That's why we're paying Amazon substantial bucks every month for the server infrastructure. Manual downloads and copying of folder trees is possible, but in the end incurs a much greater risk of fuck-ups, so it should be done only if there is no other choice.

2 hours ago, mpow66m said:

why do i get a notepad window when i try to DL certain sce.?

The base map files are too big to download from the forum direct (the Deltas maybe smaller).

The file that you can download is often just a description.

The code (e.g.: "83b496f3-2e61-490c-99c1-9af48903c8e2" - this in unique for every map) is the thing you need to use to get the actual map.

Having seen the forum entry and read the description, assuming you actually want the map, you need to:

1. Start Steel Beasts

2. Access the Map Editor

3. Select "Query Map"

4. Paste in the relevant code

5. You'll then get the map.

Alternatively you can open a scenario you know needs the map, it will prompt you to download it, agree and you'll get it that way.

ok thnx i got it.

but im also trying to DL WarUlfs 3 pt autobahn war sce.and all i get is a notepad window with a bunch of symbols and such,cant even get to a file.

ar! Ïs          |t < "& ƒ8 ¾E&b²83     Autobahn Wars Part1.sce °jÀa%ÕÑ B&®ì]Öhï…â+¹^h‡b'DkG7î%bÖÃß
8h¯›Ø¡°PQÊŽ—¨ ùª8!­–ÖáäÛàt.„F•ð#BoŽièè8³ŸAÄaÄ’ç¤ö<„q.i}ÑÚq&ñäºÆ—<™»…Àª«     ™ôü+Óéš°fn¦‘ME\ÜÔü=ðý>ŸOª¯ø‡¿á#ýï~™ôúf¦lU]]Bê·ÅøÆøŸ8Ü[†?ö/r€9<o×6Û(Üþ²t-׿6Ö±°´ ‰’oŸûfÈà›ŸÌ6oÏ5ÿ#Uâj=×Êâm¬?‰û†æjêÞI¸xFý½`aj5¶—Nb:, W›¬j#Ÿ¬ŸÞN³?o¹hk¿½ÖK\¬ãr5v$ÜÌW?ûºõµèç÷kÇ€Þ&z¡?Œ?µý9    ³Ë?üØàF±xü£Þ3¿­ÿ¨nU}G½¶‡zJþA²2 Òïñ»îŽUÓ7*s¿–&·º}pè^9=~íj8\£`e"´õ«¾€um5w™9Åî¹r5ÙÉ×C‡®æ¿PüeqŠ)ßË<­­/3ÏD¡‰¯Žå}dó9ˆ/™\DNç4yük®¯÷–mïy\ÿ1T•4™ÖñWBO=¤y¦¯Ï˜ÛȺàî(mu´5FO~üóqÏI5™™2Ï2ƒÈî¿/Tp'6ØH©{~«`†zÖ6‡æOu3Nx»–2:,¶ª6¢„ë‰7{¸B*_à"'´<¡ºÄÉ=!‚mY·LøY¼¶ÉG8ظ±|¿,ß?¹I‹[Èífë'¯ÀA£ç|C~Ht½jè(|=¡°¶§©x¸Y'— ñëop¹þæW;í°‡¼—‰çqð|îQ诙…Ì} ýª2v¡Sµ÷Â
=~sAÖQ—ÐÜ"Gò;ùdëÝÏ:‚ð͉ÄAÙa—¿Î·ÒÜ#ž¾¶ù|<#Õ¬=Ú=Îg“o‰t¿ÿÞ¨½Ÿ?ÈAXάƒk‰ø¯êЮ#“‹9\Dþþ
½ú(N'¤n"$¤P-±¸@|p3Ж;ÜEÔS¬®³1Ñe(ææuî‡W~ÀT~PQ½ `gÈ¥òþ¾'ró¸ˆçÈî¹É¾v¸þ8M‡HÛÍpyúèm³ÃÓ9ëýƒ€UÓÈÈÔuÊôµÇÄÊD›\{Í:œûÀ¶ð#žnÐ]€ß“¨ÀzÃA7:o_÷ËÈÍD•äâ"q<‰XKm<ñqR@PnE³vÈãÒLýsxÞ±½ ­™Ür}3|­Q¸ÓAµÚj:®%tÛü”#ÆWŽ_¨èO…œÑ)íÒBÃWîXèCÌN Gþ"׈ƒX|Œ$JúJ] ê è뻚t:7à Í*´ë¹¶Õy=ÑÉÝ÷_] r¨“r&+|´†pîg  o¡”Š%㮺9”üÔS‹fpSÇ<\ô@íCžÿž‰ß{ÞŸÄôUD¹‡ZMD+f¢‡áfî¤ïy‰ãÀIÜê_…Ì@Ýdu•2ç]Œ€BÞ?ÈÛò« ÞÙô·|Œ¤-&Fà    ŠYYO¶î§¥~ŽJ÷èX”Ãçñ®ò碰uñ4-ðOKoЛþQ¼Œ¤Têû`ƒ” BÖ=c*ÿÍBÀyÐz=õ42¸7ù¸5¼‹7ù?Òï[ìçžÅ󛃋g{¨NUvµáÊÏBò ·`‡|Ü Íú•Lÿ#Ç7 ¨‡WLL˜Y4ZäÆú½(oô<óÖjüûšñ<^ZÃ6æn¾ž•Õ[\NO==X*Ïæ{Òò³y Üð 3¹]×ÂýD    þâº?Ì<§FÎD÷‹UÎbH‡„'<¹Ærêu Æ‘    òu›à|c|oŠo €ôñ)—CˆÙê/t`8¿"õñ­Â7‰É§å_( s‘Ès5ýÝoA勾BŠlp¯7©0o”‚\t´Û !65ÊæôÁ®·Z¾šéÿÈï=âjŒ

Edited by mpow66m