Imported Map has blue area where Map objects/ roads etc stop?

Kilo60

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

During your editing you didn't perhaps make some changes related to water?

A bit hard to be certain without more detail, but it looks like you may have flooded the low lying areas.

No.  Is there anyway to fix if it is flooded?

Thanks!

• Members

The ground is still there for all simulation purposes, but we can't render it for lack of video memory or something, at least not with the current engine. I don't particularly like it either, but it was a compromise I agreed to a few years ago for reasons that I no longer fully remember, but I trust the judgement of past me.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, Splash said:

Does it still appear that way after exiting the map and re-entering?

I had that happen once when traveling over a long distance in the 3D view with WASD keys in the Map Editor. Thought it was a memory thing. Exited the map, re-opened and all was fine.

Unfortunately... Yes!

I had completely reworked this awesome map and scenario from satellite imagery.  I added the proper roads, Highway 8 and overpasses and made them into strong points based on the book Thunder Run.  Added the new buildings, gas stations guardrails and even traffic signs all based on what I could get from photos and google earth.  Added civilian traffic (cars) travelling and parked and recreated the Raid as historically accurate as possible, almost from scratch.

Unfortunately, I never saved the map file, so my scenario which I was still working on, was not useable after the upgrade to 4.1.

Daskal created an excellent map for its time but so many new objects have been added which really add to the playability.  His work on the newer map seems dead so I would like to continue the effort!  The map is an excellent foundation for me to work from and the overpasses themselves lend to some excellent strategic options as hardpoints.  I would really like to be able to rework this map again but am running into this mysterious blue area and can't seem to resolve it...

In the meantime, I'm methodically working on a historically correct Operation Curly from the existing map and am completely changing the map based on satellite imagery (since it's one of the few sections of the map that doesn't have this blue area).

The only thing I can think of is either

A) the game thinks for some reason that part of the map is outside of a scenario boundary

B)something has made the game trigger that because its trying to save video memory mentioned above.

Maybe send the map to another person to see if they have the same issue? That will at least rule out a bizarre software/hardware issue.

Thank you for your hard work and hope you get it figured out!

Hi Kilo60,

if you have the scenario till now, you normally can export the map as a map package.

1. Open SCE-editor

2. go to file menu

3. click on 'save as map-package' (5th point)

in the following dialog you can choose the scenario file with your map.

I thought this could help and save a lot of double working on the map.

greetings

LoneWolf

On 2/16/2022 at 4:35 AM, LoneWolf said:

Hi Kilo60,

if you have the scenario till now, you normally can export the map as a map package.

1. Open SCE-editor

2. go to file menu

3. click on 'save as map-package' (5th point)

in the following dialog you can choose the scenario file with your map.

I thought this could help and save a lot of double working on the map.

greetings

LoneWolf

Thanks!

Tired this and it works but still having same issue....

Never saw this before the 4.1 map update.

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Yes, that's when the new terrain engine came along that required major changes in the way we handle the data.

Hmmm...  Is it possible now that the new terrain engine is running out of memory on the Map Editor?

Oddly enough, the same map in the Scenario Editor with all units also added does not have this issue...

• Members

No. If, in the Map Editor, you reach the edge of the terrain (+/-3km in each direction from your first selected point of view), go back to the map view, then hit F1 and pick a new spot. The theory being that you want to work on or inspect certain locations while in the Map Editor, not just fly around aimlessly. For the latter, load the map in the Mission Editor.