T-14 Armata turret hits / resulting damages

iamfritz

• Members
13 hours ago, iamfritz said:

I did a battle with M-1A2s going up against a force of T-14s and T-90s. Two times in a row, my 2nd section fires  SABOT rounds which go through/skip across  3 or 4 T-14 turret tops. Here's the video:

Looked at it; the interesting bit would have been to look at these events in the AAR. The Armata's turret is unmanned and therefore only lightly armored - which in turn creates less spall in the case of a successful perforation.

So the question is, what kind of damages would you expect from such events. We tone down the damage on light vehicles form APFSDS precisely because of the lower amount of debris generated in the perforation process, and then the debris isn't hitting a human crew but metallic components. Which may or may not be able to handle the impacts.

Not saying that our model is perfect. But still the question is whether it's "very wrong" or "just a bit wrong". And knowing what kind of damages occurred and what the projectile trajectories were in these events is crucial here, and your video isn't showing any of that.

7 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Looked at it; the interesting bit would have been to look at these events in the AAR. The Armata's turret is unmanned and therefore only lightly armored - which in turn creates less spall in the case of a successful perforation.

So the question is, what kind of damages would you expect from such events. We tone down the damage on light vehicles form APFSDS precisely because of the lower amount of debris generated in the perforation process, and then the debris isn't hitting a human crew but metallic components. Which may or may not be able to handle the impacts.

Not saying that our model is perfect. But still the question is whether it's "very wrong" or "just a bit wrong". And knowing what kind of damages occurred and what the projectile trajectories were in these events is crucial here, and your video isn't showing any of that.

Oh, forgive me if I implied it wasn't realistic- I just think it's cool. I always save my AARs so I'll go back and look at it,post pics or video when I get the time. It was a short one so should be easy to find!

Edited by iamfritz

• Members

Looks however as it's protected against medium calibers only. Plus, of course, lots of unprotected sensors outside (but in all fairness, protecting sensors is often simply not possible). So, the T-14 Armata seems to be easily mission-killed at least with airburst munitions (not everybody has them) - but very good in protecting the crew.

If i have understood correctly. Turret popping is actually hellishly violent and fast explosion with tremendous shock effect. What little i have seen of ammunition exploded tank hulls. I highly doubt it to be survivable even if you were in somewhat protected capsule. The hulls of tanks have so badly deformed... That when that happens instantly... I don't think it is survivable.  On world war 2... Big enough artillery shell landing on bunker roof without penetration.. was still able to cause men's ears bleed... If not more.   And when we're talking of ammunition explosion... Behind you... Behind a resonating armor capsule person would be inside...  

On 3/8/2022 at 2:20 PM, Lumituisku said:

If i have understood correctly. Turret popping is actually hellishly violent and fast explosion with tremendous shock effect. What little i have seen of ammunition exploded tank hulls. I highly doubt it to be survivable even if you were in somewhat protected capsule. The hulls of tanks have so badly deformed... That when that happens instantly... I don't think it is survivable.  On world war 2... Big enough artillery shell landing on bunker roof without penetration.. was still able to cause men's ears bleed... If not more.   And when we're talking of ammunition explosion... Behind you... Behind a resonating armor capsule person would be inside...  

still, the ammunition bunker on the abrams has been hit, and the crew has survived. effect in SB however is underwhelming. in real life you will have a fire geyser shooting out of the ammunition hatches, and you need to traverse turret over to the side in order to avoid engine from catching fire from the hot glowing sparks falling down

Edited by dejawolf