Casual multicrew games with Saber - Topic

After the 4th of April I maybe back home.

0300 on a Sunday is sort of workable for me, as long as whoever else is in the crew is prepared to receive a crew brief (Destination, Enemy, Ground, Route, Actions [Gunner's arcs, Loader ammunition selection, Driver speed, etc.]) before "we" go anywhere.

4 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

After the 4th of April I maybe back home.

0300 on a Sunday is sort of workable for me, as long as whoever else is in the crew is prepared to receive a crew brief (Destination, Enemy, Ground, Route, Actions [Gunner's arcs, Loader ammunition selection, Driver speed, etc.]) before "we" go anywhere.

Good to know. And if you and others would prefer hour later time. It is occasionally possible. Just needs to be set before hand. Waking up very early is tough. So appreciate the effort and want the experience to be worth it. Currently these sessions are tad bit casual and we have some losing interest and some gaining it. While base crew seems to be around 4-5 regulars to build on and slowly growing.

My future intend is to pair same or similar guys together whenever possible. And occasionally have them to switch roles to get feel of others role too. 

Turns out. Training and welding crew together really matters. 

On 3/12/2022 at 8:02 PM, Lumituisku said:

Hey gyus and especially @JAG-11A I had marked wrong day for the mission.  It was supposed to be today not 19th. My head was in wrong day mode for some reason. <.<    We played Zipulis Bad Santa mission today. And it was a wonderful success for once.  

Hedgehog played with us and recommended us to play one of his mission, to what I agreed so on saturday 19th we will most likely play his Operation Muppet.  :)   Platoon of Shotcall's and infantry. 

Get it here: 

Saturday 19th scenario.   Operation Muppet from @Hedgehog (3 days from now)  

In regular time 16:00  GMT just as before:   https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Casual+multicrew+with+Saber&iso=20220319T16&p1=%3A&ah=1&am=30

Countdown timer for those who find value from it: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=1440&iso=20220319T16&msg=Casual multicrew with Saber

Where: Kanium TS : teamspeak3.i3d.net:10077 

In scenario we have:

Platoon of 4 Sho't Kal's     (Isreal modified Centurion no FCS, or laser. -> estimate distance -> elevated gun according to stadia lines -> fire and pray.) 

Platoon of 4 M113AS4's   (personel carrier with MG turret)

For all who intend to come I recommend to check how to Aim and fire with Sho't Kal: https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Sho't_Kal#Firing

(this time I pray that the time and date is correct

SS_17_18_54.png.73658f8969aaa9d24b13bed0

Here's the briefing (copied from Download section)

(Map snipped to avoid extreme colors xD ) 

image.thumb.png.67dc60ab81c9c3caa241336a457a0afe.png

Scenario Summary:

Take on the Warsaw Pact in 1950s “East Germany” in World War 3 Pre Nuclear scenario.

For Single player use:
Play as a Multiplayer session with yourself as host and pick player "Blue side."

Pick the T31 callsign.

Scenario Briefing:

OPORD Operation MUPPET

18-09-1955 17:00Z – 18:00 Local Time

1. SITUATION:

A. ENEMY FORCES:
1. S2 Intelligence estimates you will encounter a Reinforced Tank Company in prepared positions with Light Artillery and Light Air Support probable.     
2. Enemy defensive capability is limited to damaged equipment collected from previous offensives in this area.
    Reconnaissance has identified a reserve soviet tank unit in the enemy's rear which is road marching into the area and might be deployed in reaction to any friendly force advance.
    There is a high likelihood of this happening.
    Enemy is currently adopting an offensive posture and has been attacking since dawn this morning, as part of this offensive they have used chemical agents as marked by the GREEN area (vicinity 69 northing and 30 easting)
    Enemy is not likely to withdraw or delay as they are currently on the offensive.
3. Enemy's Most Likely Course Of Action is an attack in full force from Objective MISS PIGGY westwards into friendly lines.
4. Enemy's Most Dangerous Course Of Action: As point 3.

B. FRIENDLY FORCES:
    Friendly Forces in this operation will consist of Task Force 31, consisting of your Sho't Kal Tank Platoon, an M113AS4 Infantry Platoon. And 1st line CSS assets.
1. Higher's Mission & Intent:
    Ajax Squadron has been pretty well wiped out, only 3 vehicles made it back and they're all busted up in some way, Badger Squadron is taking over the fight and your troop is being used to plug any gaps we might have.
2. Adjacent Units:
    To the north is 5th RTR, to the south is 3rd RTR to our rear is 62nd Panzer Battalion ready to act as a Reserve.

C. SUPPORT UNITS:
1. Artillery: Access is granted to the following artillery assets:
         4 x 2S9 Nona 120mm SPM Battery with HE & Smoke  - 25lbr battery Proxy
2. Aviation: Air parity is questionable, you may get air support later, but as of now, No air support is available at this time.

D. Civil/Terrain considerations.
    NATO and WARPAC forces are in a state of WAR, Unnecessary killing of Non Combatant Civilians and destruction of civilian property is to be avoided if possible.
    Civilian convoys of refugee are present in the area, these are NOT to be fired upon unless posing a direct threat to friendly forces.

2. MISSION:    

Task Force 31 is to conduct a hasty attack on the enemy units defending Objectives MISS PIGGY, KERMIT & GONZO the Terrain Objective is for orientation purposes only.
    Primary objective is the destruction of enemy defending units with         minimum casualties.
    Destruction of enemy command posts, artillery, logistics, or air defence units should be considered a secondary objective.

3. EXECUTION:

Task Force 31 will operate in the zone defined by the following Phase lines. Left and right boundaries are shown as Phase Lines BUNSEN and  BEAKER.
    Jump off point is defined as Phase Line FOZZIE BEAR, and the limit of advance is shown as Phase Line ROWLF.

A. Commander's intent: Repulse enemy attack on own line by Badger Squadron with assistance from elements of Cyclops Squadron (Task Force 31)
1. Center of gravity: is likely to be Engagement Area (EA) BIG BIRD, Priority of fires are to be in this area.
2. Critical vulnerability: The area south of hill 329 is lightly held.
3. Exploitation plan: Bypass Hill 329 to th south and hit the Soviet Southern Flank as they attack into EA Big Bird.
4. Desired Endstate: Soviet Attack Repulsed with minimal casualties. Objectives MISS PIGGY KERMIT & GONZO cleared of all enemy forces.

B. Concept of the Operations:
1. Scheme of Manoeuvre: Up to you, as you are the Task force Leader.
2. Fire Support Plan: You have priority of fires. Liaise with G10A with any fire mission requests.

C. Tasks: Attack the enemy defending Objectives MISS PIGGY, KERMIT & GONZO
D. Coordinating Instructions: 2nd Squadron will hold Devils Dyke laying fires into EA BIG BIRD, Friendly Infantry are dug in on the main ridge line running north south at this position.

4. SUPPLY AND SUSTAINMENT

A. Enemy POW's are to be left in place or directed to a holding area*
    Casevac to be handled by own CSS assets.
    *Stay where they are or move as a group under script control.

B. Regiment command has set up a replenishment point in the vicinity of “Bismark”.
    Task Force 31 will secure Class I, III,and V supplies at this location.
    (Your Tanks have a full Main Gun ammo load, and about 80% MG ammo, You have Low Fuel Levels)

5. SIGNALS:
   A. Signal
    1. Primary             -28.250
    2. Alternate           -28.350
    3. Contingency      -28.450
    4. Emergency        -28.750

B. Command
    1. Location of Key Leaders: Command Post Able         (Sunray Sunray Minor & Shelldrake)
    2. Succession of Command:    T31 > T31A > I11A > T31B > T31C (If present)

End of Briefing.

Scenario specific changes / mods:

Engines and Tracks repair after 15mins "Field Bodges" / "Short Tracking"
If the Tracks are short tracked in this manner suspension is damaged to reflect being short tracked.

Each Combat vehicle (T31 & I11 platoon) has vehicle has 2 "Extra lives" (identified by "-" suffix)

I.E.
T31 has T31-a & T31-b
T31A has T31A-a & T31A-b
etc
So if you lose: T31, T31-a & T31-b, you won't get another T31 callsign and will be reduced by one vehicle.

Edited by Lumituisku

Some tips and tricks for lazy reader's about Shot'Kal 

For Commander to help estimate and convey better distance estimation to gunner: 

Shot'Kal  Commander periscope aiming at T-55 to estimate distance. (Lines set on level of turret roof)

unknown.png 1000m 

unknown.png 1500m

unknown.png 2000m 

For Gunner:

From @Commissar_Martin

unknown.png

for the gunner, this is the 'Lethal box' for the GPS: if you put your target between thos two sets of horizontal lines, you should hit anything at most reasonable battle ranges
for very long stuff, longer than that tank in the image, put the lower horizontal lines just a bit above the target
the round seems to be about 20% slower than the 120mm rounds most players are probably used to using, so you need to lead a little more than you'd think, about a full target's length in front for the range shown in the image on a target moving medium speed (edited)
purely based on the tank range, not looking up the actual reticle stats, the lower horizontal lines of the 'Lethal box' are about 1800m for a sabot round, and the cross of the little T shaped marker above is 1500m

From Wiki: 

ShotKal_GPS_KE_reticle.jpg

The GPS main gun KE aiming reticle is used to engage targets with main gun KE ammunition. The reticle is located in the upper part of the sight picture and consists of two T symbols (the top one is inverted) with a series of six dots and two horizontal lines.
The top inverted T is not used.
The top most dot is the aimpoint for 800m KE targets.
The second dot from the top (the one bracketed by two horizontal lines) is the aimpoint for 1100m KE targets.
The third dot from the top is the aimpoint for 1425m KE targets.
The fourth dot from the top is the aimpoint for 1620m KE targets.

The bottom most dot is the aimpoint for 1800m KE targets.
The bottom T is actually dual purpose as it can be used as the aimpoint for point blank HESH reticle, or used to gauge the extreme range KE aimpoint (such as in the 2000m at top of the T, to 2200m at the bottom of the T), although the actual aimpoint for this range would be to the right of the T symbol.

The KE sight tapers from left to right due to ballistics of the rifled round. 

Edited by Lumituisku
changed order of commander / gunner representations

The main thing, since you are multi-crewing, is for the Crew Commander to be observing the fall of shot and provide adjustments.

For battle range shots, where the round is flying flat, you should be fine.

If you want to fire at something 3kms away - good luck and be prepared to burn through a bunch of ammunition.

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

The main thing, since you are multi-crewing, is for the Crew Commander to be observing the fall of shot and provide adjustments.

For battle range shots, where the round is flying flat, you should be fine.

If you want to fire at something 3kms away - good luck and be prepared to burn through a bunch of ammunition.

There's just 2 regular problems we face constantly.

1 - what commander sees can often be different. Usually distance is correct but lead isn't. Aka on moving target commander May actually sometimes see shot miss (land where target was) and still see turret pop. 

2 - Dust on many missions blocks observation of fall of shots. Hence i am going to recommend wingman tactics where wingman observes and then reports,  and fires when you would in turn observe.

For all who read this:

Also very important. We do recommend multi-crew. But don't force people to do it. That is, as long as it is possible and there's enough vehicles to allow freedom. And even then we have members who are can be drivers.  

We intend and encourage teams and crews to form up. Aka, those who want and or are good to play together will get priority.  It takes time for crews to form up. Not everyone is good to go with just anyone. 

We do encourage Change of positions at times so that there's variety but I'd you don't want to. You should tell that you don't want and then you won't need to be in positions you didn't want. 

Edited by Lumituisku

21 minutes ago, bloodycut said:

Thanx again about scenario. It was new thing to shoot with Shot'Kal. Also I'm apologizing for everyone about my Voice key wasn't in use. Now I have defined it from options. 

👍

Kind of my fault really.  A lot of people who host sessions are proactive to deal with these kind of problems we saw today.  I really should make myself a checklist and deal with these problems before hand.  Thing is that with small amount of players I have been able to get away with all my lacks, but as we have player numbers increasing, these things are starting to show up a lot and badly.

@Colebrook with a Shot'Kal was a Terminator...  

image.png.b0f035eb6e23265d7f01055ce48441ec.png 

Pretty sure that most of this was his handywork.   Then again.. Those targets were focused on me and @bloodycut as my gunner on top of the hill... soo.  Kind of worked out 😂

image.thumb.png.6aa291bb022d875fbab6860f0b3f56aa.png

@Maic and @Higgs on second section in north had some kills too like 5-7 each  and we all others were pretty much just ineffective with our fires, even when we shot a lot and hit too, just not well enough.

Our mech infantry gyus @Commissar_Martin and @Lusik provided us quite lot of useful spotting too.  ~

This scenario was a blast to play. :)   Video coming soon...   with awful lot of...  mistakes from my part >.<     ( Note to self..  ALT is not good push to talk key.. especially when moving.  It ends up opening all kinds of funky pop up windows constantly xD ) 

33 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

( Note to self..  ALT is not good push to talk key.. especially when moving.  It ends up opening all kinds of funky pop up windows constantly xD ) 

In the Documents folder there are a few keyboard layouts showing which keys are in use by default. Of course if you customise the control these new assignments wont be on the PDF.

0:00 - Briefing and getting set up

14:33 Setting up Teamspeack channels for each

18:35 Scenario begins

19:37 Spectacular scenario effects

22:08 I jump the gun and order movement too early to wrong hill

25:11 arriving to correct hill, but alone!

27:43 At hill, proceeding to engage from BP with Colebrook

33:28 Starting a flank attack

42:30 Enemy dismount hiding inside a burning pc

45:45 tank contact on north

52:55 Significant emotional event

54:20 Making quick decition to break contact and go support mech infantry at Obj Gonzo

58:54 All weapon problems as those refuse to fire

1:01:50 Join in progress to get Cavgunner with us that fails as we forgot to remind him to choose blue side

1:12:00 Mission continues

1:25:40 Attack on objective Kermit begins

1:29:20 Second life, loong driving ahead.

1:30:00 Commissar Martins prediction of incoming indirect fire was spot on. Bravo mech inf suffers losses.

1:39:50 Gandle is lit - Colebrook fell to and RPG

1:41:00 Me and Colebrook have no idea what were seeing. A command post of somekind?

1:45:00 Mech infantry comes to assist and take over engaging enemy troops.

1:48:00 Mission over - Thinking that I crashed.

1:49:00 Impressions and Free discussion

1:52:46 I start playing AAR quick forward on the map to see all troop movements and contacts

Heads up we will have a game on Saturday 26th, at regular time 16:00 GMT

At this point what scenario /s  we will play is mystery, but intend is that something good and different for @Commissar_Martin so that we can play more mundane missions during his 3 week absense (such as Zipuli ones)  

Where: Kanium TS : teamspeak3.i3d.net:10077 

Will post briefing and more information at the point I come to decicion.   I am open for mission suggestions.   

(Preferred duration aprox 1 hour +/- 30min,  size of aproxzimately around 4-6 vehicles  as currendly we can man 4+ vehicles with commander gunner.)  

Please let me know any way you want if you will come to this session. (hint you can just click calendar event "Going"

Coming at this point:  

@Lumituisku Team / taskforce leader unless someone else chooses to give a try.

@Commissar_Martin any role / pos 

@Maic

@Yamas

Unsure / maybe:

Ghost

Cannot come this time:

@bloodycut 

@Lusik

@JAG-11A

@Higgs

Edited by Lumituisku
updated list

7 minutes ago, Yamas said:

I'll try to attend this time, I really only know to play as a gunner but I am willing to learn. Very new to the game.

Awesome youre most welcome.  Someone will have you as a gunner, no problem there :)  welcome to Steelbeast multiplayer.  Please show up, 30 minutes early so that we can set up your coms on Kanium Teamspeak. 

4 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

Awesome youre most welcome.  Someone will have you as a gunner, no problem there :)  welcome to Steelbeast multiplayer.  Please show up, 30 minutes early so that we can set up your coms on Kanium Teamspeak. 

He is setup he has played with Kanium

MD

As of this time. Since were low on manning, I think were going to play small 30m - 60min scenario: Armor Attacks - Counterrecon  from  @Koen 

Lieutenant,

* You're in command of a Leo-tankplatoon, on a counterrecon mission. 

* This scenario is based upon the great book of John F. Antal : "Armor Attacks - The Tank Platoon". 
-> As in the book you will be required to make several tactical  decisions ...
-> Stealth & observing may be more important in this mission than shooting. 

----------

We have a platoon of 3 Leopard 2A4s our PLATOONS mission is to work along with 4x AI controlled  M901 ITV scouts

to locate and destroy enemy RDM-2 scouts - before they penetrate into our defences and this way prevent enemy to identify where our battalion defences are most weak.   Our platoon orders are at the bottom of this post! 

Leopard 2A4 wiki page  -  https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Leopard_2A4 

2008 / 7 / 1

General situation & Battalion orders:

unknown.png

Situation on map:

unknown.png

Orders and execution for our platoon:

unknown.png

Edited by Lumituisku

Okay. I wasn't expecting to have 9 players coming >.<   

I was hoping to get 6 at very best. 

2 were flexible and / gave their positions to others by lack of positions.  Kudos to MD and Ghost for this, in theory we had room for all.. but 2 players would have needed to become drivers. 

I would BTW, highly recommend driving for people doing multicrew. It is a whole new world.

About the mission...  umm...   we were terribly out matched  xD     3 player controlled leopards..  available at a time..  umm.  

image.thumb.png.d6481bc5e145d0c18bd377301075b541.png

Regardless, @Assassin 7 and @Maic did really good work!

Look at Assasins hit percentage xD   and Maicou was a terminator.  

image.png.4d1c5e4461a226d60f8d24a3fd24d984.pngimage.png.acdb740b9c0fb52520d3678b8df61658.png

As for that 300% Hit percentage...  this picture may explain a lot. xD    

Also those tank size bushes were major pain in the ass for us.   And T-80s were firing for move better than we did.  >.< 

And we were overhelmed by assaulting enemy that gave us little or no regard and just pushed forward on mad charge.

Wave after wave.. depleting us to extinction.

image.thumb.png.fcf40a2ff6f49ace8af55044fe93d7ec.png

7 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

Okay. I wasn't expecting to have 9 players coming >.<   

I was hoping to get 6 at very best. 

2 were flexible and / gave their positions to others by lack of positions.  Kudos to MD and Ghost for this, in theory we had room for all.. but 2 players would have needed to become drivers. 

I would BTW, highly recommend driving for people doing multicrew. It is a whole new world.

About the mission...  umm...   we were terribly out matched  xD     3 player controlled leopards..  available at a time..  umm.  

image.thumb.png.d6481bc5e145d0c18bd377301075b541.png

Regardless, @Assassin 7 and @Maic did really good work!

Look at Assasins hit percentage xD   and Maicou was a terminator.  

image.png.4d1c5e4461a226d60f8d24a3fd24d984.pngimage.png.acdb740b9c0fb52520d3678b8df61658.png

As for that 300% Hit percentage...  this picture may explain a lot. xD    

Also those tank size bushes were major pain in the ass for us.   And T-80s were firing for move better than we did.  >.< 

And we were overhelmed by assaulting enemy that gave us little or no regard and just pushed forward on mad charge.

Wave after wave.. depleting us to extinction.

image.thumb.png.fcf40a2ff6f49ace8af55044fe93d7ec.png

Here is the video from today.  Very fun Lumi and thank you for Hosting this event.

Edited by Assassin 7

Casual Multicrew with Saber #12  -  On Saturday 2nd of April - 15:00 GMT (Finland changed to summer time!)

Please if you are interested of our session. Hit the "GOING / Maybe / Deglined" on the calendar page below.

It truly helps me out with planning these events! Thank you! 

This mission uses custom map! Please check out this post on instructions on how to download and install FAKE_EASTFINmap.  

Per usual we will play mission on Kanium TS : teamspeak3.i3d.net:10077 

If you're new to Kanium TS please come 30 min early.

This time we will play Zipulis legendary mission Platoon in attack (Winter)  Platoon of 4x Leopard 2A4s (and possibly some bmp-2s)  

Leopard 2A4 wiki page: https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Leopard_2A4

BMP-2 wiki page: https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=BMP-2

It is highly recommended to get basic understanding of how to operate in degrated "Emergency" mode on Leopard.

This time mission briefing and map are rather simple and plain.  Enjoy the simplicity.  Time for old classic and hard to beat mission to be played yet again!  

unknown.png

unknown.png