Potential new player (Questions)

Baer

Hello everyone. I think I might have found a good modern day tank sim in this game, but first have some questions I was hoping could be answered:

1.) It looks like the game costs $115 correct? I wish to purchase the USB stick option. None of my friends are really interested in the game (They are all die hard wwiionline players), so I'm assuming I just need one license correct?

2.) I'm kind of confused on what tanks one can operate. Is it just the Leopard 2 and Abrams? Is there a master list if there are more tank options? I was really looking forward to operating a late model Russian tank like the T-90.

3.) Are there mods to better the graphics? I think I read someplace that there are but you have to pay for them. My native screen resolution is 2560x1440. Will the game use that resolution?

4.) Lastly, is there a master server list one can go to? Like if I want to join a scenario with live players?

I appreciate everyone's time and hope i haven't been a pain.

Regards....    

You can also buy 1 year license for less than half a Price i believe. And yes you just need one licence. If you want to buy a stick benefit of that is that you can use it on any PC. Time limited licence's to my understanding are bound to single PC. 

As for what tanks. A lot of different tanks. There are a lot of variations of Leopards 1 and 2... Abrams and t55,62 and lot of different T72s up to B1 (85) model.  More modern ones are in game but not crewable  and AI controlled.  There are lot of other tanks and AFVs to play too. such as Cv90 family IFVs, BMP-2, BTRs. Lot of m113s... Etc...  Not to forget that there's even more AI controlled vehicles. 

3. Umm no, no mods to my 20 year knowledge that would truly improve graphics.  That resolution should work just fine. 

4. Check multiplayer section from forum. We have 4 regular game sessions.  TGIF (PVP) on Fridays, Team sabers small game on Saturday, Kanium big game on Sunday and BG Ansag on Thursdays?  All games are on different time slot too ..  and if not. Poke me and I can arrange something for you.  

Usually someone has to organize game and let others to know about it.  There are no servers for multiplayer games. 

Welcome to Steelbeast! 

Also for vehicles check out SB wiki you can find it from bar at top of forum. 

Cheer's!

Thank you. I think I'm going to take the plunge and get the stick. Looks like there are plenty of videos on using each time. I'm interested in the Leopard 2A4 too. Are you on Discord or is there a discord channel players use?

Regards... 

• Members
2 hours ago, Baer said:

1.) It looks like the game costs $115 correct?

It is one option, but not the only one:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/7403-all-the-many-license-options-which-one-is-for-me/

There's good reason for time-based licenses just as there is for the classic license. They both have advantages and disadvantages. Shipping, in particular, can still be affected by the global Covid pandemic.

2 hours ago, Baer said:

2.) I'm kind of confused on what tanks one can operate. Is it just the Leopard 2 and Abrams? Is there a master list if there are more tank options? I was really looking forward to operating a late model Russian tank like the T-90.

There are many more. All the units in black text in the screenshot below have crew positions (albeit in variable level of detail), units in grey text can be controlled from the external observer's position (or be left under computer control):

V4-1_Most_Units.jpg

Crew positions and (accurate) modelling of the fire control systems of late Russian equipment is not the focus of our military customers, who tend to hog most of our available development time. There are a few that we managed to squeeze in between contracts, and more will be coming later this year, but sorry, no T-90 for you. I reckoned that our chances of the Russian army to give us access to one of their tanks for a few days were "slim" even before the recent shit show.

2 hours ago, Baer said:

3.) Are there mods to better the graphics? I think I read someplace that there are but you have to pay for them.

There are some mods available for (free) download here at SteelBeasts.com in the Downloads section. Whether they offer the kind of visual improvements that you're after, I don't know. The looks in SB Pro are designed to strike a balance between "not bad" looks, hardware demands (each and every texture set consumes video memory, including the whole map), and the economic feasibility to maintain this humungous fleet of vehicles, which is a task of its own. The main points of Steel Beasts are reasonably accurate simulation results and a wide scope of armor centric conflict that can be simulated, for the post WW2 period.

I know of no mods for which you were expected to pay. There's no "achievements" and "unlocking" BS. You pay for a big sandbox, you get to play with everything right away. Of course, some vehicles are easier to learn than others.

59 minutes ago, Baer said:

Thank you. I think I'm going to take the plunge and get the stick. Looks like there are plenty of videos on using each time. I'm interested in the Leopard 2A4 too. Are you on Discord or is there a discord channel players use?

Regards... 

Honestly man, I'd recommend doing the $9.50 one month "trial" to see if Steel Beasts is the game for you first. 

I made this series a while back. Might be worth a watch. Discord link is in the description. 

Edited by Mirzayev

• 2 weeks later...

If your PC can handle cranking up the graphics they are pretty good honestly. You just gotta remember this is a simulator not a game. The people that make it consider the eye candy low on the priority list. You really don't need super high frame rates, anything above 25 FPS while shooting is fine really. 

Edited by pumagreen