Latest Playable T-72 Version

Baer

Ok, I'm new to the game and real-world events have prevented me from digging into it. From what I see it looks like the NATO forces have pretty much the latest versions of the Leopard 2, M1, and Challenger tanks while the opposing forces have the playable T-72M. My question is while I know the game has been out a long time and its primary focus has been playable NATO tanks shouldn't the opposing side have the latest versions of the T-72, T-80 or even T-90 to be able to use. 

Remember I'm new but was just wondering. I wouldn't mind helping NATO tank gunner on a multiplayer scenario by operating a tank of the opposing force.

Thanks.  

• Moderators

Hello and welcome,

Yes, certainly we all love Soviet/Russian vehicles because they are very... interesting, and we always want to add new ones. If you look, there are quite a lot of playable Russian vehicles but yes, not yet any current ones. At the moment the newest one is the T-72B1, though. Over time new vehicles are gradually added, so you never know.

29 minutes ago, Volcano said:

Hello and welcome,

Yes, certainly we all love Soviet/Russian vehicles because they are very... interesting, and we always want to add new ones. If you look, there are quite a lot of playable Russian vehicles but yes, not yet any current ones. At the moment the newest one is the T-72B1, though. Over time new vehicles are gradually added, so you never know.

How does the T-72B1 stack up against the latest M1 and Leopard 2 varients? 

• Members

The balance in a scenario can be shifted substantially with the selection of ammunition for each party. Of course that would be a serious anachronism, but it's a bit of a substitute to make up for a more modern fire control computer. Like, give the M1 ammunition from the early 1980s and the T-72M1 ammunition of the latest generation. Set the difficulty to "hard" to give Opfor an advantage in their gunnery accuracy and reaction times. Compare the results of this scenario with the same scenario played at balanced difficulty, with ammunition from the same period.

As a simulation, Steel Beasts can answer a range of questions. But you need to know which question to ask. ;)

16 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

The balance in a scenario can be shifted substantially with the selection of ammunition for each party. Of course that would be a serious anachronism, but it's a bit of a substitute to make up for a more modern fire control computer. Like, give the M1 ammunition from the early 1980s and the T-72M1 ammunition of the latest generation. Set the difficulty to "hard" to give Opfor an advantage in their gunnery accuracy and reaction times. Compare the results of this scenario with the same scenario played at balanced difficulty, with ammunition from the same period.

As a simulation, Steel Beasts can answer a range of questions. But you need to know which question to ask. ;)

Gotcha. Thanks. 

• Members

In a few months we shall reveal what the version 4.3 upgrade entails. It's basically the collection of work done over the past two years, and I think in some places we take steps into the uncanny valley of being a tad too close to contemporary events for some people's tastes. Not because we're super-fast to adopt Steel Beasts, just reflecting clearly visible trends that now culminate in headlines.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

In a few months we shall reveal what the version 4.3 upgrade entails. It's basically the collection of work done over the past two years, and I think in some places we take steps into the uncanny valley of being a tad too close to contemporary events for some people's tastes. Not because we're super-fast to adopt Steel Beasts, just reflecting clearly visible trends that now culminate in headlines.

Ok, thanks. I'm hoping that means the T-90 or thermal sights on all playable T-72's. 

26 minutes ago, RogueSnake79 said:

Try out the BMP-2.   Its still current, and getting thrown into battle.   And ours is quite detailed.  So much so, that every time I use it I fumble around like and idiot trying to remember how to fire the missile. 

LMAO..I will give it a try. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
2 hours ago, henrywood76 said:

Thanks for sharing this latest version. I shall discuss with my job fellow at structural engineers australia because it is very important for us.

Nothing beats the importancy of combat simulation software in structural engineering - particularly in Australia, where everything is upside down.

On 3/30/2022 at 6:16 AM, Ssnake said:

It's been a minute. Good to see an update in the near future

On 3/30/2022 at 6:16 AM, Ssnake said:

Haha! Are you aware of Combat Mission: Black Sea? Talk about uncanny predictions!  Beside the addition of NATO troops (just US currently) of course...  Combat Mission has an uncanny ability of predicting future conflicts. 

I fought two campaigns as the Russians, one as the Ukrainians and one as the US.  Many of us on the board over there, have been calling the reality of the Russo-Ukraine war from the beginning and pointing out how much the media gets wrong as they don't understand the tactical and operational realities of warfare.  Playing CMBS made a bunch of us feel as we had already fought this war and we were seeing the tactical realities in ways that others were not.  That is, the exponential force multiplier of small "light infantry" units with shoulder fired ATGMS and drones could cause on a road bound enemy with huge logistical failings.  Many of us knew right away that the Ukrainians were being underestimated as bad as the Russians were being overestimated.  That all being said, NO ONE could have predicted how bad and how completely wrecked by corruption the RA really is.

Edited by Combat Wasp

On 3/30/2022 at 9:53 AM, RogueSnake79 said:

Try out the BMP-2.   Its still current, and getting thrown into battle.   And ours is quite detailed.  So much so, that every time I use it I fumble around like and idiot trying to remember how to fire the missile. 

I actually like the BMP-2.  It has serious design flaws and a glass jaw but that autocannon can do some damage.  I actually really like the armed to the teeth BMP-3M as well.  It also has that horrid, ammo under carousel and crew, design flaw of the autoloader but it's firepower is impressive.  Adding the 100mm gun coaxially (and especially with the programmable smart muntions) with the 30mm autocannon is devastating.  I learned their plus and minuses very well through repeated use in CM.  The Russian doctrine of integrating the vehicle directly into the squad work very well when you understand how to utilize it.  I think it would be great fun to be able to crew a BMP-3.

Speaking of IFVs and being a new guy, I have yet to fire any type of ATGM from either a Bradley or a BMP!!  Note to self to look up how to do that....