New here.

Combat Wasp

Hey all,

Just wanted to say hi and that I am new here but have been hovering around for some time as I debated pulling the trigger. Finally gave in yesterday.  🤣  I am a long time Combat Mission player and love things more on the simulation side of gaming.  I played M1 Tank Platoon back in the day (man that was a long time ago) and also loved anything Battletech so I knew that I would eventually dive in here.  I started as a big fan of WWII history and armor (also played that excellent Panzer Commader game, or whatever it was called too) but now the modern era has most of my attention.

Anyway, I heard this community was nice and so I am looking forward to the learning curve and diving in and can't wait to get familiar and maybe even start coop-ing at some point!

Edited by Combat Wasp

Welcome!

The road to co-oping (or playing multiplayer in general) is much closer than you think. 

I've made a few videos for getting new players up and running, all the way up to playing your first Platoon-level mission. Those are listed below if you are interested:

The Starter Pack on the wiki is also worth a read, and covers similar material.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

Anyway, welcome to the community! Hope to see you in a Kanium game at some point. 😊

9 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

Welcome!

The road to co-oping (or playing multiplayer in general) is much closer than you think. 

I've made a few videos for getting new players up and running, all the way up to playing your first Platoon-level mission. Those are listed below if you are interested:

The Starter Pack on the wiki is also worth a read, and covers similar material.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

Anyway, welcome to the community! Hope to see you in a Kanium game at some point. 😊

Hello and thank you!  It was your videos that made me finally decide to just go on and purchase!  I'm working my way through them along with the tutorials!  

Edited by Combat Wasp

21 hours ago, Combat Wasp said:

Hello and thank you!  It was your videos that made me finally decide to just go on and purchase!  I'm working my way through them along with the tutorials!  

Welcome

There are a few VU´s. And they all welcome new players.
There is also TGIF.

Pick what suits you and is fun for you 😁

1 hour ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Welcome

There are a few VU´s. And they all welcome new players.
There is also TGIF.

Pick what suits you and is fun for you 😁

Thanks!  I looked at the wiki and TGIF seems very cool.

What is a VU?  Virtual Units?  Like a regular platoon that always fights together and has that cohesion?

1 hour ago, Combat Wasp said:

Thanks!  I looked at the wiki and TGIF seems very cool.

What is a VU?  Virtual Units?  Like a regular platoon that always fights together and has that cohesion?

Depends.

there are a few virtual units, and some might be more formal.

If you take the "kanium" example, its more the agreement to meet at game times and follow at least basic courtersy. Currently there are guys there that very very often ride together as a platoon.

But of course this does not mean "unit coheason" as in a real military unit 😉

27 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Depends.

there are a few virtual units, and some might be more formal.

If you take the "kanium" example, its more the agreement to meet at game times and follow at least basic courtersy. Currently there are guys there that very very often ride together as a platoon.

But of course this does not mean "unit coheason" as in a real military unit 😉

Got it!  That makes sense.  Hehe, yeah, I think I just meant more a group of regulars.

So I have done the tutorials and am trying to get more familiar with everything.  Looking at the Wiki I think I am going to dl the training missions and give em a spin.

2 minutes ago, Combat Wasp said:

Got it!  That makes sense.  Hehe, yeah, I think I just meant more a group of regulars.

So I have done the tutorials and am trying to get more familiar with everything.  Looking at the Wiki I think I am going to dl the training missions and give em a spin.

Good.

So If you have the time on sundays at 1800 Z time, feel free to join the kanium games.

Joining multi player games is the best way to learn stuff IMO...as there will be guys you can ask and that are willing to help.

For feeling comfortable I'd advise to get familar with the controls of the M1A2 and Leopard2A5(of above) as these are the models we use 99% of the times.

...and the you'r good to go.

Of course, if you like a challenge and want to try something more exiting...have a look at IFV and infantry controls....Kanium MechInf is always looking for new "rekruits" 😉

1 hour ago, Combat Wasp said:

Worth noting that Camp Hornfelt scenarios were made pre 4.0, and are not 4.1+ compatible "out of the box." 

I'd recommend the scenario Platoon Recon (included with the game) as the first one you do. 

1 hour ago, Mirzayev said:

Worth noting that Camp Hornfelt scenarios were made pre 4.0, and are not 4.1+ compatible "out of the box." 

I'd recommend the scenario Platoon Recon (included with the game) as the first one you do. 

Thank you and noted.  Now I think I want to go back through all the tutorials in the Leo too.  I am totally LOVING all of this so far.

8 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

Ok!  1st mission complete!  I only lost one tank.  I set it up the way the video said with the mission editor but the briefing was in German?  Is there a way to translate that?  

Couple questions.  It seems like a lot of the time it's almost best to stay in overhead and just let the crew fight the tank?  It seems more efficient than my fumbling around, trying to designate targets etc.  I have to get better at understanding the CITV sight and it's various functions.  Like what is better to leave it on auto or manual scanning?  Is it best in hunter killer mode to switch the CITV independent of the gun?  But I have to be zoomed to designate targets correct?  It has to turn into the reticle and not just the box?  If that makes any sense...  Do I slave the gun to the CITV only when I want to manually fire the gun myself?  Also, I am understanding the P key and how it locks and unlocks my control of it but it almost seems my gunner finds targets first most of the time or by the time I see a target and am getting ready to designate it he is already on it.  I feel like the sight gets out of my control and starts swinging around and I lose all sense of where I am looking.

I'm rambling but just thoughts on my first go through.

I felt like I was barely grasping all the activity but my crew did their jobs and I came out of it alive!  

Edited by Combat Wasp

4 minutes ago, Combat Wasp said:

Ok!  1st mission complete!  I only lost one tank.  I set it up the way the video said with the mission editor but the briefing was in German?  Is there a way to translate that?  

Unsure why its in German (maybe you downloaded a German set?). Mine are all in boring English.

16 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Unsure why its in German (maybe you downloaded a German set?). Mine are all in boring English.

I didn't.  I don't understand it either.  If I open the normal mission it's in English but somehow me editing it like on the video to change it to M1s has somehow made the briefing in German??  Weird.

24 minutes ago, Combat Wasp said:

Couple questions.  It seems like a lot of the time it's almost best to stay in overhead and just let the crew fight the tank?  It seems more efficient than my fumbling around, trying to designate targets etc.  I have to get better at understanding the CITV sight and it's various functions.  Like what is better to leave it on auto or manual scanning?  Is it best in hunter killer mode to switch the CITV independent of the gun?  But I have to be zoomed to designate targets correct?  It has to turn into the reticle and not just the box?  If that makes any sense...  Do I slave the gun to the CITV only when I want to manually fire the gun myself?  Also, I am understanding the P key and how it locks and unlocks my control of it but it almost seems my gunner finds targets first most of the time or by the time I see a target and am getting ready to designate it he is already on it.  I feel like the sight gets out of my control and starts swinging around and I lose all sense of where I am looking.

I'm rambling but just thoughts on my first go through.

I felt like I was barely grasping all the activity but my crew did their jobs and I came out of it alive!  

Manual is usually the best way to scan with the CITV, though you *might* want to set it to auto if you are busy doing other things, like looking at your map, checking the spacing of your wingmen, etc. 

The CITV should scan independently of the gun. You can use Shift+P to effectively "lock" the movement controls of the CITV to "on," so when you move your mouse, you move the CITV. Holding down "O" will slave the gun to the CITV; this is good for both designating the target to the gunner (release "O" when he stated "Identified") or for shooting it yourself as the TC... though this is the gunner's job, so it is generally better to let him do it. 

The CITV also has an indicator on the control panel for how it is oriented:

M1A2_CITV_turretclock.jpg

The dashed line indicates the CITV, and the solid line is the gun. You can familiarize yourself with the controls here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/M1A2_(SEP)#Tank_Commander's_Position_F7

I'd recommend getting familiar with these in instant action, since you are only worried about fighting "your" tank, and if you die it doesn't matter (just run it again.)

12 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Why do you need to change the tank, from memory they are M1s already?

Or do you mean from M1A1 to M1A2 or something?

No, Platoon Recon is set up with Leopards.  The videos posted at the top of the thread suggested using the editor to open it and change them to M1A2s, etc.  So that's what I did.  Are you maybe thinking of a different starting mission?  Should I practice with a different starting mission?

Still doesn't change the fact that the briefing switched to German when I opened it, changed some units, etc. and saved it.

7 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

Manual is usually the best way to scan with the CITV, though you *might* want to set it to auto if you are busy doing other things, like looking at your map, checking the spacing of your wingmen, etc. 

The CITV should scan independently of the gun. You can use Shift+P to effectively "lock" the movement controls of the CITV to "on," so when you move your mouse, you move the CITV. Holding down "O" will slave the gun to the CITV; this is good for both designating the target to the gunner (release "O" when he stated "Identified") or for shooting it yourself as the TC... though this is the gunner's job, so it is generally better to let him do it. 

The CITV also has an indicator on the control panel for how it is oriented:

M1A2_CITV_turretclock.jpg

The dashed line indicates the CITV, and the solid line is the gun. You can familiarize yourself with the controls here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/M1A2_(SEP)#Tank_Commander's_Position_F7

I'd recommend getting familiar with these in instant action, since you are only worried about fighting "your" tank, and if you die it doesn't matter (just run it again.)

Excellent!  Super helpful and thank you!  I will try the Shift+P method instead of holding my finger on P while trying to hit other keys!  

Totally makes sense about manual and auto now depending on what one is doing, got it!  So if the gunner yells identified to I have to hit space to tell him to fire or does he do it automatically?

8 minutes ago, Combat Wasp said:

No, Platoon Recon is set up with Leopards.  The videos posted at the top of the thread suggested using the editor to open it and change them to M1A2s, etc.  So that's what I did.  Are you maybe thinking of a different starting mission?  Should I practice with a different starting mission?

Still doesn't change the fact that the briefing switched to German when I opened it, changed some units, etc. and saved it.

Ah this maybe a German version of Camp Hornfelt?

When the person updated it to the new mapping standard they may have changed to vehicles and briefing too.

I'll see if I can find my updated ones that still use US gear.