Scenarios for T-72/T-80/T-64/BMPs?

33lima

Having come back to SB while still enjoying playing the T-72 in Iron Warriors - T-72 Tank Command/Balkans on Fire (and looking forward to a bit of the same with the also-just-acquired patreon demo of GHPC), I'm wanting to concentrate for now on playing Opfor in SB, including both the playable and 'command-able' MBTs. I started with Russian Recon...

spacer.png

...and I planned to swap in Soviet vehicles in the Camp Hornfelt set for training purposes, but I can't get the drill working, to extract the map to a modern 'package' (fails when looking for the map's height file), so that's out for now. 

There seem to be few scenarios here for Soviet-era AFVs. Can anyone recommend some, or others that can be adapted without running into legacy map format problems? 

If all else fails I can and will eventually use the ME to make my own, but I'd like to do a lot of familiarisation first, as I haven't played SB since the original version.

TIA. 

Obviously you can change out units in the mission editor, but this WILL affect the overall balance. Expect to playtest scenarios if you are converting from modern western MBTs to T-72B1s, etc, as this will require tweaking the OPFOR to gain the original desired balance of forces. Below is a decent guide for helping to make things "fair" as far as AFV composition. Keep in mind that the original scenario design may not have intended for it to be "fair."

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/AFV_Fair_Matchup

Thanks for those links guys, those are two I hadn't noticed. If tweaking for my preferred NATO-WARPAC encounters, I'd definitely be inclined to set Blue to Leo 1s, Chieftains or M60s, preferably without TIS, like the solo wargames I used to set up (1/300 miniatures but a much smaller ground scale)...

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the meantime I've started working through the T-72 tutorials. I don't think there's a way of editing these to feature different T-72 variants.

spacer.png

Edited by 33lima

4 minutes ago, 33lima said:

Thanks for those links guys, those are two I hadn't noticed. If tweaking for my preferred NATO-WARPAC encounters, I'd definitely be inclined to set Blue to Leo 1s, Chieftains or M60s, preferably without TIS, like the solo wargames I used to set up

You should take a stab at making your own scenarios. This community could always use more. 

27 minutes ago, 33lima said:

In the meantime I've started working through the T-72 tutorials. I don't think there's a way of editing these to feature different T-72 variants.

Honestly, the biggest notable difference as far as the control scheme is with the T-72B1. With that, hold down the lase button while tracking your target to get a firing solution for lead (you'll need to manually apply this like in the T-72M.)

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=T-72B1_(m.1984)#Offensive_Improvements_Over_the_T-72M1

I’ve become a full on Ukraine war junkie and after traversing combat mission Black Sea, arma, and dcs, I’ve come back to steal beasts.  And crewing Ukrainian t72s has been my latest Ukraine war fix.  Can’t get enough t72 scenarios, thankfully I can tool around in the editor.

1 hour ago, Skoop said:

I’ve become a full on Ukraine war junkie and after traversing combat mission Black Sea, arma, and dcs, I’ve come back to steal beasts.  And crewing Ukrainian t72s has been my latest Ukraine war fix.  Can’t get enough t72 scenarios, thankfully I can tool around in the editor.

Colour me interested.

14 hours ago, Skoop said:

Sounds good. Care to share 'em? And some pics/clips of the action?

I doubt It would be anything worth sharing.  It’s more taking existing scenarios and swapping the units to reflect a Ukraine vs RF situation.  I haven’t played since 3.0, so just loving all the new stuff I’ve missed.  

Edited by Skoop