Dismounted Engineers breaching minefield and vehicle follow through

davout3

Hi,

I have noticed that after dismounted engineers have created a lane in a minefield, I have to manually drive each follow on vehicle in the lane across the minefield. Whenever I give an order for the vehicle formation to go through the cleared lane, the formation just drives around the minefield looking for the end of the minefield. Is there an easier way to get the vehicles to drive through the lane that the engineers have cleared? I don't see a similar problem with lanes being cleared with armored vehicles with plows.  Also, is there a tutorial on how to use mounted engineers, mainly how to re-mount the engineers on the other side of the minefield they just cleared?  

Thank you!

• Members

Yeah, the problem with the lanes created by dismounted engineers is that they are so narrow that the navmesh doesn't recognize them as viable paths. If you clear a lane with three engineers abreast however, it'll work. I think. Or will work in version 4.3

Remounting - IF their parent vehicle actually CAN follow through a sufficiently wide lane, you'd use a common waypoint for both to meet, and right-click the waypoint, then from the context menu: Troops... Mount

Just tried using a whole platoon of dismounted engineers de-mining abreast a small portion of a minefield. They managed to de-mine enough space that the map marked a lane (as opposed to before where the map would not mark the lane when it was de-mined by just a team of 3 engineers working abreast) and the armored vehicles, on order, were able to drive through the lane without manual control.  Thank you for the advice and info! 

25 minutes ago, davout3 said:

Good to know! Thank you for the info! 

What else can dismounted engineers do in the game? The SB wiki mentions about them only breaching minefields? Can they also repair bridges or remove IEDs? 

They can not repair bridges, that's what an AVLB will do (assuming the gap is narrow enough).

They remove an IED if you give them a breach route through a suspected IED location, with the same frontage limitations mentioned above - one Sapper will not remove the IEDs in a 6 lane freeway.

They can not neutralise a suspected VBIED.

Edited by Gibsonm

• 3 weeks later...

A full engineer squad is seven troopers; one 4-man team and one 3-man team.  

What I had done in the past was lined them up and cleared a path wide enough to drive anything with ease.  Once they have a clearance, I mark the breach on the map, then let my units roll through.  I do this ONLY if I don't have a MCLCC and/or plows.  

Engineers can also create obstacles.  Don't feel there will never be a need for that, never know...

The approach of putting the dismounted engineers in a line formation to breach a minefield is a good way to go if one does not have a MLCC and/or plows. However, sometimes, the dismounted engineers do miss a mine or two in the cleared lane and this had caused some issues for my armored units trying to drive through the lane. I even put a platoon of dismounted engineers in a line formation to clear an area large enough to pass through a battalion worth of vehicles. However, the engineers keep missing some mines, mainly due to the spacing between the teams and/or individual engineers. MLCC or plow definitely a better option if available. 

Haven't tried having the engineers put up obstacles, since most scenarios that I have tried already have the obstacles set up. But it would be an interesting scenario to have the engineers putting up obstacles in real time while the OPFOR is approaching their position.

• Members

Engineers will "mark" mines for later removal, but won't clear them. You still need to send a plow or rollers afterwards. Not sure if you can disable the mines by shooting them with tracer coax in SB Pro; it can work in real life but isn't guaranteed to do so.