destroyed buildings restored when mission is saved in progress

Captain_Colossus

this may be a memory saving feature or an oversight: buildings which are destroyed in a mission, that is, the ones capable of being destroyed and are either vaporized or leave a footprint of some kind behind - rubble and so on- are restored if the mission is saved during play (which necessarily becomes a separate .sce file), and resumed again in the new saved .sce file.

it seems as if there is saved metadata about the destroyed states of buildings associated with the new .sce file, which is why i ask- you can see the fact that buildings are destroyed in the planning phase before starting the mission, but during the action phase it is as if the scenario polls the original map package state and restores all buildings to what they were before

Edited by Captain_Colossus

• Captain_Colossus changed the title to destroyed buildings restored when mission is saved in progress

offline.

the map is a modification of the stock beedenbostel map with deltas applied; i have not looked at other maps, i just assumed the behavior was common. the intent was to create a destroyed town, saving it, then using that as a basis for subsequent scenarios without having to blow it up by dropping artillery and whatnot each and every time the scenario begins.

after the scenario in progress save and restarted under the new scenario file (because you cannot overwrite the existing scenario with an in progress save)

1) in the mission editor, i create a scenario, destroy map objects with pre-plotted artillery / IEDs etc

2) in progress save under new scenario name

3) open up the new saved scenario in the mission editor, you can physically see the map objects are destroyed in the planning phase as you would expect

4) once the saved mission is started however, all map objects that were previously destroyed (buildings, walls, info signs, municipal power lines and road signs) regenerate

Edited by Captain_Colossus

24 minutes ago, Jartsev said:

Well, if scenario was altered and saved in mission editor, then it not supposed to store damage to buildings and map objects, frankly speaking.

i would accept that and move on except: it looks as though the new saved scenario knows those buildings are destroyed, because in the planning phase, it shows the damages carry over to the new scenario. it looks like it is ready to go- there is some information about the destroyed state saved with the new scenario file. the difference is when the scenario is actually started, that is when the map objects are reset.

- if it is not an intended feature of steel beasts to store the state of damages to map objects with an in progress save- ok, that is the way it is.

- if it is intended, and it is not behaving the way it is intended, these are the symptoms

Here you are observing   another problem- if you are running certain scenario several times in a row,  some things might not get properly purged from memory, and this may have undesirable effects if same scenario is tweaked, saved and tested repeatedly. This is why you might see residual damage to buildings in planning phase. Better save  changed version under new name.

• Members

Sounds like a bug to me. Won't make promises to fix this with the next release; focus at this stage is to get the new features to work right (yes, yes, yes... where are the new videos? - June 4th we'll start). But since the save in progress function is the only way at this point to create some form of rubble in built-up area, I'd rather have this work as you describe your expectation than to declare it as a non-feature and to prevent the destruction in the preview.