Best means to breach minefields

davout3

What is a best means to breach a minefield? Having tanks with plows/rollers? Or using Engineering vehicles' MICLIC? Or using dismounted engineers? I have noticed that when I use tanks with plows to open up a lane, some of the follow on vehicles somehow drive too close to the edges of the lane (in spite of my orders for them to drive through the middle of the lane) and end up hitting mines. The program for whatever reason does not allow a platoon of tanks with plows to breach abreast to open up multiple lanes super close to each other or to create a super big lane. Whenever I place a platoon of tanks with plows to breach abreast, only the lead tank breaches, while the others drive through the minefield and run over mines and are disabled. The MICLIC are great, but they in essence present the same problem as that tanks with plows, since the lane being opened is too narrow for some of the follow on vehicles to drive on their own without hitting the edges of the lane. The dismounted engineers, if employed en masse, close and abreast, can de-mine a large area but they take a lot of time. I have watched a tutorial video on that, but I can't seem to figure out how to timely breach a minefield and move a company of armor/mechanized infantry across that field without losing vehicles.     

• Members

As a rule of thumb, AEV Kodiak or Wisent with full-width mineplow.

But the reality is, each method has strengths and weaknesses. MICLIC is fast to use - but not very stealthy, and also not super reliable (in real life; in SB Pro it works better than it probably should - and we reserve the right to degrade its performance in future versions without further notice). Better proof a lane afterwards with plow.

Plows don't work with wire obstacles, dragon teeth. Here a dozer shield is needed. Plows also don't work on rock, or paved roads. Use rollers instead. And then there's always the option to send dismounted engineers. Slow, but potentially stealthy (maybe not so much in SB Proe due to some limitations).

MICLIC followed by a mine plow through the exact lane is what we do in real life. Also works great in game. AEVs are the best based on the width, and their ability to drop flags to mark the left side of the lane.

I usually run this manually based on how important it is to get the lane right.

Edited by Mirzayev