Odd diversions from a thread once devoted to the T72

Captain_Colossus

corruption and graft are features of the game; entropy finds a way because it goes with everything like steak sauce. as soon as life got started, it was wired into things and explains why life evolves the way it does- not out of a situation where energy and comfort are unlimited, because a garden of eden situation has no evolutionary selection pressures at all, nothing evolves out of necessity in that case but where there is always a perception that the goalposts are moving and can never quite be pinned down or there is a sense of some kind of elusive goodie and a sense of losing the game if we don't grab a hold of it (even warren buffet who is as old as he is cannot seem to stop investing in the stock market, it basically does him no good anymore at his age, but he is like an investing machine and can't stop because there is a powerful sense of missing out on further gains)

it is is a peculiar feature of life until you realize that you can make the case that life is a game- then it loses all the supposed 'mystery,' and it exposes why things are the way they are. it is a game where there are real stakes and real consequences at all levels, winning the war is one game going on, and within that game there are all sorts of mini-games are being played. the game of self preservation and enrichment is what everyone is doing, so everyone is playing the game on the assumption of beating it into submission and getting theirs. even all attempts to beat the game and create a welfare state where all members are taken care of invariably introduces layers of bureaucracy to dole out the benefits, where somewhere in the process the skimming from the top begins, funds go missing or are somehow laundered.  it's rather well known how well supplied americans were in europe in world war 2, until you look at cases of how much was filched by rear echelon troops before the rest made it to the front

potato salad.jpg

Edited by Captain_Colossus

Your spot on IMO.

"and it exposes why things are the way they are"

What we find now compared to past history is the need to hide, ban, de-platform, use terms as Troll, (country) puppet, disinformation, etc. Or as in my country "unacceptable views"

In the information warfare units this is a "Look here they are placing above interest in disproving" effort, and as such as in life, these strange humans, they look deeper.

A complete fail, no blue checkmarks will save them. We are winning, but it is a constant battle.

This should not be consider as political speech, but some can't see this, one side of a issue must be banned, otherwise humans will have to chose, and we can't win if all the facts are presented from all sides, in short -it's a mess.

Hats off to those who explore all sides and come to their own conclusions. :)

"You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be ...

all the enlightened classical humanisms have really become a trojan horse to disguise some effort into either rigging the game or beating it into submission* : it really is another form of "me, me, me, me me" under the banner of sounding compassionate or well meaning- even if it did proceed from that, it is not long before corruption gets a hold of it and it turns into something else, i.e., the modern wokeism where it is really a form of "i deserve such and such extra consideration because i am this or that and that disenfranchised group, not because i earned it" and it evolves into entitlements and privileges of its own when it originally claimed to oppose those things- another form of leveraging the game. it's weaponizing self interest and changing the rules of the game, far from achieving equality, but to rig the game in the name of equality.

there is a pie in the center of the room, now everyone get set on the count of three and go for a slice. those who somehow figure out a way to rig the game or scream the loudest or make the biggest fuss or strongarm a slice have the advantage- they use equitable sounding phrases when doing it, but what really is going on is something like you might see on the playground or in a prison yard where the strong or the more clever outmaneuver others and shake them down, and it becomes normalized. this is what life does in itself, culminating in the most scheming, political animal of them all, that is what evolution is and would explain why we no longer generally live in caves and trees or the 12th century, or the 20th century. it all keeps going, because deep down there is this sense there is a limited amount of resources, or living space or resources or what have you, life is a competition for these things and through our efforts seek out more and more resources. and living things evolve to seek advantages and success is rewarded- temporarily at least- because the game evolves again- we can see this clearly because standards of what used to be considered well off or affluent or secure change again, the bar gets raised, your dollar or euro doesn't buy as much as it did before. that is the source of our efforts, this sense that there is something which we must do something about it and keep on earning more or fighting one or another, because if you don't, you risk falling out of the race. which is the same behavior you see in the rest of the animal kingdom- competition for mates, for the best living space, for food and so on. we simply package it up in a kind of illusion of civilization, but the underlying game is still there.

* voltaire said: "if you want to see who controls you, look to see what you are not allowed to criticize"  -- this would have been considered very cutting edge in his day, now that is dangerous, patriarchal speech because it permits criticisms of certain isms which are not permitted to be criticized.

I concur, I am going to leave this discussion due to most likely having triggered some, which is never my intent, (well there are a few that have a short fuse, hehe) :)

Thus is the world we live in. 

I enjoy discussions of different views, never like echo chambers.

I have come to realize that having a option/ view on various subject from different angles is a enlighten state others don't share . Best to follow the narrative and be safe, by uneducated officials.

I look at my leaders talk about "people-kind", and then watch this human.......

Exclusive Interview with Russia’s Foreign Ministry Spokesperson the reporter is from Canada and has done excellent work.

This is how I would think humans should develop a view, from just listing to a different voice, its not that difficult, well, if you go into this with baggage you will have a difficult time, some will get mad, triggered, etc. If this has that effect, your not going to survive this harsh world.

Final disclaimer:  This may hurt.

7 minutes ago, Captain_Colossus said:

listen to your elders young man, you might learn something- the namely the same thing will happen to you. the problem with youth is we can't teach you something. you dismiss it as old banter, remember this conversation.

I don't blame you, its hard to learn new things or even keep up to date at some point...

you may have noticed that there is a peculiar problem:

maybe we'll just print money and that we'll solve it. but that creates what is called inflation, and your money is devalued and you lose purchasing power. third world countries have especially had a problem where inflation is out control and it becomes an unending spiral- they inject liquidity into the system, and the money becomes worthless as soon as workers go to the bank to get paid, which causes them to inject more and compounds the problem further until they have uncontrolled inflation and they are printing billion dollar notes in the extreme cases which wind up being worth about 5 american cents.

if you understand everything does that- it's like a practical joke where in spite of all your efforts to make life equitable and fair, you will eventually find that you have a new set of problems replacing your old problems, or projecting out of the solutions you previous came up with. that is why for all intents and purposes, life is a game that cannot be finished, it keeps going. there was an author- fukuyama- who gained a lot of press with his book the end of history, but then we saw that it is not a feature of the game to have an ending that way- such a situation has never occurred in the universe, except in the sense that any ending implies the beginning of something else. beating the game would be like having a universe where it consists entirely all matter but no space, or entirely, all space but no matter, or up without down, or down without up, and so on- you always have one only with the other. so you cannot eliminate the direction called 'up' from down or isolating one end of a pencil by cutting off the other half.

they want to solve 'cancer'- which to think like that seems to miss a crucial point: life itself could be described like metastatic cancer which grows, mutates, and evolves; you can attempt toxic radiation therapy or chemotherapy or starve the cancer, but what you do to cancer you do to the patient as well- since they are the same process. your cells are genetically pre-programmed to die, which means you die- that may sound depressing but consider what would happen if they did not do that: then you would have a situation of runaway cancer, your cells die in order to prevent that from happening, the problem is that cancer hijacks your cell's machinery to prevent normal cell death and tells the malignant cells to keep on replicating.

so humanity has been looking for some method that would perhaps lead to immortality in the game that cannot be won- which is understandable because death is an uncomfortable fact of reality, but you see even that has a purpose of solving the problem of overpopulation if there were no death.

when you understand this, you see the irony in everything going on, and in what everyone does. even very rich people somehow feel as though something is at stake, because even if their wealth is secured, then it's something else- their health perhaps, or the health of their friends and family, everyone is always looking over their shoulder no matter what they have, because no one gets to keep anything. the game is simply not 'winnable', but is at best a thrill ride which eventually has its conclusion. in the process of trying to beat the game which is like trying to capture a song which comes to an end, but in the process of trying, we evolve. it's a carrot on a stick.

Edited by Captain_Colossus

2 hours ago, 12Alfa said:

I enjoy discussions of different views, never like echo chambers.

How about doing it in the hundreds or thousands of other sites built for whatever argument you want?  How about not doing it here?  How about not bringing your politics into a T-72 thread on a Steel Beasts forum?   How about a little self control from a couple of boomers and a couple of wokesters?

I read this forum because I like Steel Beasts and now and was interested in what some people had to say about the T-72.  Instead I end up with some idiots who seem to think they can jump into any thread with their verbal axes and start grinding away.  You all seem to think everyone is sitting on the edge of their seat for your opinion on whats wrong with the world today.  Well, here's my opinion...Whats wrong with the world today is idiots like you who lack any modicum of self-awareness and think just because they have an opinion, they need to tell every person they encounter.  Grow up and shut up.

well i certainly hope you got your refund. sit down before you fall down

the very people you are calling idiots, the ones who have you triggered are the very ones contributing to the topic about the t-72. see for yourself and peruse. then by that time you might have collected yourself enough and you can contribute something also.

what would a game be if nothing happened and everyone wins or everyone loses? or say a movie where everything is pleasant from beginning to end- it would be boring as all hell. no one goes to see a movie like that. that is the dilemma, we say we want peace in the world and all this kind of thing, but then we find that we do not really want it, because peace imposed on us would be a new kind of problem- whoever has the power to do that is basically who rules over us. what kind of universe produces a t-72 as a weapon of war- the one we got and the one we actually want whether we think we do nor not

17 hours ago, thewood said:

lack any modicum of self-awareness and think just because they have an opinion

We were due for this, your past history can be seen demonstrating this behavior.

The adults here.    just use the scroll button :)

Now..... another one that blew his top

https://rumble.com/v16tlji-ukraine-war-destroyed-ukrainian-tank-in-popasna.html?mref=6zof&mrefc=7

Edited by 12Alfa

17 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Why, aren't we in a friendly mood.

The call to order was more than justified, the thread is now split (and f* me if I know what these rants were about).

I apologize for the deviance in the time line.

I'm happy :) , well excited really for the upcoming release, and the activity it will cause. Think we are (as usual) are just releasing some energy till the upgrade.

It's rather interesting to go back, and see how we all did prior to the many updates. Great to see we have a history, who would have thought all those years ago.