Hype Thread - 2022

• Members
3 hours ago, drcancerman said:

Oh, and what directx version is it going to be(if it is possible to know it this soon)? I hope we can say goodbye to DX9 and get some more frames. 

Anything that starts with "SB Pro..." and ends on "version 4.x" will still be based on DirectX 9.

Version 5 will change that, of course.

• Members

That's a tricky issue. The question is, do we think of "recently destroyed" vehicles (no change to the thermal signature should happen), or do we have old wrecks in mind (ambient temperature, more or less). Depending on which side you're on your answer will change ("why not both?", yes, yes...)

Primary design goal was a change of the visual signature (check).

On 6/12/2022 at 4:13 AM, Ssnake said:

Anything that starts with "SB Pro..." and ends on "version 4.x" will still be based on DirectX 9.

Version 5 will change that, of course.

With that being said, with the short time I had I gave this little utility a go on Steel Beasts a go for a little while to see if it would run, and it does! https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk DX9 to Vulkan. 

I haven't tested it completely, to see if there are any discrepancies or crashes, but it seemed to be ok! I need to confirm if there were any fps gains. But I did notice that now I can use reshade with it(I couldn't before, SB would crash and refuse to run on the resolution I wanted) . 

EDIT: 

Quick tests with the benchmark scenario. 

Vulkan: Rarely dipped below 60 FPS, mostly stayed at 65 FPS. Only dipped sub 30 FPS( At 27 and thereabouts) when inside the heavy smoke, and artillery area. Outside of that, 45 and 55 only when it was switching or unstable frames, which means, less than a second.

DX9(Default): Below 30 from the moment I opened into the M60. It hovers around 25 to 30 FPS, rarely over 33 FPS. Inside the artillery and smoke part, it reached 10 to 15 FPS(and danced around those numbers).

This replacement DX9 to Vulkan really made the frames go high! I will be making a thread about this later when I have more time. 

EDIT2: 

Thread made, with instructions on how to install it: 

Edited by drcancerman

• Members
22 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Thats the drone UI

To clarify (we'll show it in more detail later), the idea is a unified UI for all UxVs (so, also the rickety old UGV gets an update) so that you have to learn to operate robotic vehicles in Steel Beasts only once, rather than individual user interfaces for the whole zoo of them that are coming with 4.3 (and then even more in the coming years).

• Members

I'm going to show it in more detail later. In a future update it's going to be playable, but the info came too late for implementation so short before a release.

It'll be useful for 1970s scenarios. M113C&V (aka M113CNV), a Dutch recce platform with 20mm autocannon.