Hype Thread - 2022

THIS! 
THIS RIGHT HERE!
You guys see it? :D

Infantry (besides actually using trenches as hedge pointed out) is actually STANDING and FIRING!

One of the biggest flaws with infantry in SB when it comes to inf against inf is that they stand up, spot the enemy but can only firing prone so they go down to fire and loose contact. Stands up again to establish contact, go down to fire and loose contact, rince and repeat.

So THIS that they are STANDING and FIRING is absolutely f*cking freaking awesome in my world! 

Of course I become curius now, will they fire kneeling, will they switch position to the best position to be able to fire vs protection? 

Man I love it. /KT 

standingfire.jpg

• Members
47 minutes ago, Captain_Colossus said:

never ends. there is no finish line. we had steel beasts 1 and look where you are now, because it is never enough

muahahahahahahahahahaha

I don't mind being on a task that will never be finished, at least not in my lifetime. It's actually somewhat comforting. You just know, there will always be work for you (will it always be sufficiently paid work? OK, but so far that worked out, too).

But there's work, and then there's those hard transitions that grate on everybody, like chewing through that terrain engine development with the rat-tail of second-order developments that it required in order to actually work out.

The current and future work on version 5 falls into the same category, but it simply is necessary, so I'm not going to complain about it either. Trying to get all this to work right, and for all the components to work together properly, that's the hard grind. It's also very rewarding when you finally get to the point that you feel confident that the next release isn't just going to be a mad rush with your hair on fire and while you cross your fingers and hope that, two weeks before the release, a miracle will happen. We were in danger of that happening in 2016 with 4.0.

We wanted it to be what 4.1 eventually became, but in early May it became clear that we couldn't release the new engine in its then current form because it would have made the maps absolutely rigid. The current map packages may not appear super elegant either, but at least they retain much of the flexibility we had up to version 3 and don't go overboard with the memory consumption, and there is a migration path for old content.

So, I'm sorry about how the 4.0 release went about. But I hope that with this version, and 4.1 and 4.2 before, we have made good.

enjoy

PS. before I forget

This map will be released for 4.3 as a Alpha/beta depending on how you see it, and this does include custom built stuff for this specific map.. and please do not work on it once released.. Cause I'd like to do that my self. which

Edited by DK-DDAM

Okay... Now you have me. 

Drivers position got some love too ❤️

There seem to be having a lot of small things included. That no one is mentioning anything about. But that have been wished Soo many times. 

I hold my breath now hoping for lots of bug fixes. 

19 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Yes... but you could make the same argument for a pointy stick - "under the right circumstances" and "if employed correctly" it "can" be "still lethal". 😜

Ever the eloquent rhetorical Sofist ... yes you are quite right naturally Sir 😄

However I submit that if one takes the position that Steel Beasts to some extent can simulate at least partly modern combat, then with what was already in the games inventory, and playing against some rather clever, knowledgeable AND militarily trained Gentlemen as CO´s and with experienced (in the context of the software) crews, then the casualties I have inflicted with older platforms are interesting.

Look at the streams and judge for yourself. 😘

Edited by Nike-Ajax

1 hour ago, DK-DDAM said:

enjoy

PS. before I forget

This map will be released for 4.3 as a Alpha/beta depending on how you see it, and this does include custom built stuff for this specific map.. and please do not work on it once released.. Cause I'd like to do that my self. which

Niiiiice - you finally finished it DK:

I cant wait !

And good job !!!

1 hour ago, DK-DDAM said:

enjoy

PS. before I forget

Hey man, Congratulations, the Map looks really nice. All that hard work paid off 👍. Looking forward to playing many missions on it. 

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I don't mind being on a task that will never be finished, at least not in my lifetime. It's actually somewhat comforting. You just know, there will always be work for you (will it always be sufficiently paid work? OK, but so far that worked out, too).

But there's work, and then there's those hard transitions that grate on everybody, like chewing through that terrain engine development with the rat-tail of second-order developments that it required in order to actually work out.

The current and future work on version 5 falls into the same category, but it simply is necessary, so I'm not going to complain about it either. Trying to get all this to work right, and for all the components to work together properly, that's the hard grind. It's also very rewarding when you finally get to the point that you feel confident that the next release isn't just going to be a mad rush with your hair on fire and while you cross your fingers and hope that, two weeks before the release, a miracle will happen. We were in danger of that happening in 2016 with 4.0.

We wanted it to be what 4.1 eventually became, but in early May it became clear that we couldn't release the new engine in its then current form because it would have made the maps absolutely rigid. The current map packages may not appear super elegant either, but at least they retain much of the flexibility we had up to version 3 and don't go overboard with the memory consumption, and there is a migration path for old content.

So, I'm sorry about how the 4.0 release went about. But I hope that with this version, and 4.1 and 4.2 before, we have made good.

Well you're certainly doing something right :) Steel Beasts is the only piece of software I've ever had that has never crashed on me - ever.

2 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

THIS! 
THIS RIGHT HERE!
You guys see it? :D

Infantry (besides actually using trenches as hedge pointed out) is actually STANDING and FIRING!

One of the biggest flaws with infantry in SB when it comes to inf against inf is that they stand up, spot the enemy but can only firing prone so they go down to fire and loose contact. Stands up again to establish contact, go down to fire and loose contact, rince and repeat.

So THIS that they are STANDING and FIRING is absolutely f*cking freaking awesome in my world! 

Of course I become curius now, will they fire kneeling, will they switch position to the best position to be able to fire vs protection? 

Man I love it. /KT 

standingfire.jpg

I saw it but I didn't see it. That's huge !

4 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

Well you're certainly doing something right :) Steel Beasts is the only piece of software I've ever had that has never crashed on me - ever.

Agreed!  True lasting love ❤️      and hope that it will get better and better.   

oops I forgot to hold my breath.. oh noes  xD    

Edited by Lumituisku

• Members
1 hour ago, Hedgehog said:

I hope everyone at eSim is getting some time off after the release?

Sadly, no. We're task saturated with new development, and then of course work on SB 5.0

Some of the team may take a week off here or there. I wish we could declare the wholw company "on holiday" - but, No.

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Sadly, no. We're task saturated with new development, and then of course work on SB 5.0

Some of the team may take a week off here or there. I wish we could declare the wholw company "on holiday" - but, No.

Aw, should buy them a company expensed beer though :)

9 hours ago, DK-DDAM said:

enjoy

PS. before I forget

This map will be released for 4.3 as a Alpha/beta depending on how you see it, and this does include custom built stuff for this specific map.. and please do not work on it once released.. Cause I'd like to do that . which

I found great satisfaction seeing that suspension on vehicles work like that. Now it makes me wish we could tax our systems more by enabling more shadows :P

1 hour ago, Steel_Hamster said:

Oh, the driver get new toys. Nice!

yeah but why didn't they texture it???...they went through all that trouble to animate it, why not paint it up nice??...I hope it's unwrapped  and has texture files that we can at least paint ourselves. IMO If it was prettier(aka more realistic looking) ,it would entice the crew position to be manned more.

As for the rest of the stuff...FINALLY A THERMAL OPFOR!!!...Thank God for that, only took a decade! (would have liked to have gotten a T-90 though...fingers crossed)

The Helo stuff...meh...they just take away stuff for me to shoot at...don't need them...or want them, unless I can fly and fight with them properly(DCS has spoiled me rotten).

Trenches...nice touch.. would have preferred roads with ditches though

BTR 82A...yeah baby...one of my fav vehicles

New Map,...always welcome

Arty stuff...meh....we hate arty.....bastards

Infantry fighting stances...good idea...makes shooting them much easier

Smart rounds for arty.................................................fuck no. No brainer as to why game play wise. I can hear ASSASSIN's voice in my head as I write this...hehe. But I can see its purpose for single player.

Burned vehicles....NOICE!!...adds lots of battlefield ambiance.

Edited by Badger