Hype Thread - 2022

6 minutes ago, BlackDeath said:

I suppose there is still a bit of intelligence since the range is diminishing with own vehicle mouvement (if that is still range from a point compared with own vehicle speed and direction?)

From 3:13 to 3:17

image.thumb.png.8aa8bbaf9c86cc273d61adec92d253e7.png

Whats your point?

56 minutes ago, BlackDeath said:

I suppose there is still a bit of intelligence since the range is diminishing with own vehicle mouvement (if that is still range from a point compared with own vehicle speed and direction?)

"Sosna-U" takes in to account  both own vehicle and target motion  for calculation  of ballistic solution.  Admittedly,  current visual depiction with diminishing range read-out might be not quite correct, when it comes to own vehicle motion component, since this subject is not well-defined in available technical documentation.  Chances are, that whole thing happens on a background, while displayed range remains unaltered,  but  we do not have solid proofs for this theory ATM.

• Members
1 minute ago, BlackDeath said:

I was wondering how that range was computed, since it cannot be constantly LRFing.

Why not?

CV90/35 can do for extended periods (e.g in Air Target mode). Whether that's useful is a different question. But laser tech has made some progress since the Leo 2 and M1 Abrams.

3 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Why not?

CV90/35 can do for extended periods (e.g in Air Target mode). Whether that's useful is a different question. But laser tech has made some progress since the Leo 2 and M1 Abrams.

mmh, I guess I used old M1 and leos for too long (with laser overheating when used too much)

• Members
1 hour ago, Hedgehog said:

Especially the mobile sprite carrier.

...which isn't in Steel Beasts yet, just a relatively easy-to-imagine future feature development option. Loitering munitions launched in swarm attacks from trucks basically are MRLS with very slow, relatively short-ranged, target-seeking munitions. In that sense they are not fundamentally different; it's just that the ammo expenditure will go down if a pilot drone maps the target area and then directs the rest of the swarm to known target locations.

Whether traditional air defense will dominate the spectrum of countermeasures, I don't know. I don't see yet a clear trend among armies to invest into reborn Gepards that shoot hundreds of KETF rounds in epic battles against endless drone swarms. And in a field where the attacking systems evolve at rapid pace (in the light of better and better batteries for longer endurance, better electronics etc.) it's probably wise not to put all eggs into a single basket, but rather diversify into a multi-layered approach. How many armies can actually afford to follow such a strategy remains to be seen. It's not just that it costs money. You also need to be able to recuit and develop the required talent in the required numbers. Manpower shortages already are a problem.