Hype Thread - 2022

• Members

Well, the new terrain engine was a massive undertaking as well, though maybe a little more diluted. Developed one from end of 2013 until summer '16, had to abandon the first iteration, then it took another three years to get it right. Not exactly fun that, either.

Well, it's called work for a reason. 😛

13 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Free mousepad for you, if you can make it work like that in Steel Beasts. Offer valid for this month.

😉

LoL

12 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

I'm not going to lie; the smoke effects from firing off a main gun round in the daysight GPS is probably my unexpected favorite part of this update so far. It just looks so good! 

I'm loving the heat blur effect

I wonder if could be applied as a weather setting?

Might need to wishlist this.

With adjustments for distance from own vehicle and ambient temperature.

Would certainly add to PID factor in Non AI H2H games (of course AI would need to be set to blind, or Dumb as f**k).

Hmm maybe a setting limiting AI spotting distance, or significant delay over xyz distance?

• Members

To be honest, I typically hate it when games do this. It's one of the features that sound nice on paper, but typically game engines always focus on a plane that I'm not interested in, and without a mind-reading user interface at at least some eye tracker it's impossible to know if the user wants to observe something in the far background, or look at something pretty nearby.

I'm therefore predisposed to limit the use of such features to optical and electrooptical systems where operating the focus is a typical operator activity (like thermal imagers). And even here I think we're right at the balance point between nuisance and, if not useful, then at least pretty and/or realistic. Just think of the years between the first introduction of thermal autofocus in Steel Beasts until we had it that nearby foliage and dust clouds after firing the gun were ignored and the autofocus wouldn't fuck up most of the time.

We added the feature because some of our customers wanted it for crew training purposes, and I guess it's justified there. But only barely so. In my taste Steel Beasts has become too complicated and detail-obsessed already. It was supposed to be a tactical ground combat simulation first and foremost, where you could also have some fun shooting stuff. Arguably its mutated into a crew procedure simulation that also allows tactical training, the tail wagging the dog. I may not be able to change this shift in relative importance, but that doesn't mean that I welcome this trend to ever more operator duries for the average player that distract him from the important tasks - observing what's happening on the tactical level, and responding adequately to that with maneuver, rather than button presses.

14 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

We added the feature because some of our customers wanted it for crew training purposes, and I guess it's justified there. But only barely so.

Well, that's good. Obstruction from heat (and smoke) is an important factor for target acquisition and engagement.

22 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

To be honest, I typically hate it when games do this. It's one of the features that sound nice on paper, but typically game engines always focus on a plane that I'm not interested in, and without a mind-reading user interface at at least some eye tracker it's impossible to know if the user wants to observe something in the far background, or look at something pretty nearby.

Call to Arms uses depth of field really well within their environment - the game engine has map-size limitations and the developers utilize depth of field to create the depiction of larger areas - smoke and mirrors. Alternatively, I think DCS overuses it in the way you describe; there is a noticeable 'blur bubble' and its usually just short of what I'm trying to observe.

@Volcano

141    x_Missile0.wav
776    x_Missile1.wav
777    x_Missile2.wav

Which are these for? Or are they just variations? Which ones are for the hydra/hellfires?

104    x_Atgm0.wav
778    x_Atgm1.wav
779    x_Atgm2.wav

620    x_HeGrenade0.wav
621    x_HeGrenade1.wav
622    x_HeGrenade2.wav

Same here.

Looks like you guys added a bunch of new sounds. Always nice to hear variation. Thanks.

Something doesn't seem right with the tis on the leopards focusing. It changes sometimes from focused to unfocused based on where you are looking...which it never did before. Also even when it is focused ,say on a tank at 2500 m, its blurry and you can hardly ID the tank. Even when pressing the focus button.definitely not as it was before and it doesn't seem to be the new heat effects as it happens before I even fire. No issue with the abrams though.

Edited by Badger

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

Something doesn't seem right with the tis on the leopards focusing. It changes sometimes from focused to unfocused based on where you are looking...which it never did before. Also even when it is focused ,say on a tank at 2500 m, its blurry and you can hardly ID the tank. Even when pressing the focus button.definitely not as it was before and it doesn't seem to be the new heat effects as it happens before I even fire. No issue with the abrams though.

I noticed this as well.

Loving the trenches. 

Infantry survivability and concealment completely changes tank v infantry combat. 

No more infantry squads just sitting in the open waiting to die.

Helicopters look badass doing attack runs in and out of the pattern, but are still really struggling to engage anything with guns or rockets. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

• Members
7 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Loving the trenches. 

Infantry survivability and concealment completely changes tank v infantry combat. 

That's why we went through all the hoopla with the high-res terrain engine, so we could do these things without framerate penalty. That still leaves the work of teaching the AI how to make use of such objects, but gradually we're getting there. :)

Thanks for the perfectly built T-72B3 model. But something still puzzles me. The buttons to the left of the TPD-K1 sight are only eye-candy, even though hovering the mouse over them will make the icon indicate that they are clickable. So is it a bug or just what it is in a real vehicle? I know in the B3 version, the TPD-K1 is only retained as a backup to the Sosna-U sight with many functions, like laser ranging, lead calculation etc, stripped. And one possible bug reporting. The type code of the sighting complex in the Gunner's handle reads 1A40-1, but I guess it should be 1A40-4. And the SB wiki manual for B3 says that rounds can not be unloaded once loaded into the main gun, but I think it's untrue. I refered sources from Tankograd/Soviet Armor blog. Not sure whether I post in the right place. But thanks in advance.