Hype Thread - 2022

I've got to say.., having supported this program since day one and never having the time to use it as I wish, it has become an almost unbelievable "accomplishment". I will also sheepishly admit that I don't think I even started it up last year, but after seeing quite a few vid's of this version, proud to admit I'm impressed to the max. Congratulations!!!! With every new version, reality is closer to "coming to a PC near you". Did I mention that I really like the SteelBeasts Team?

27 minutes ago, mpow66m said:

20 plus yrs here, I remember the demo,lol.hv to say this update changed how the sim is played due to drones and trenches.The sim looks great.Good going to the whole eSim team!

And what is also quite a feat:

You can still play (and enjoy !) the demo 😊

First time I saw about SB was around ‘99 (?): posts of Nils (and even Al Delaney) on SimHQ.com.

Looking forward to 25 years of SB - this being its biggest feat 👍

MANY THANKS to all of the team for their continuous efforts to make SB grow !

the heat blur was on my wishlist waiting for version sb pro pe 2.0 to roll out ever since i first saw anyeffect like that in the precursor to DCS, which used to be called lock on, if i'm not mistaken. the cooked vehicle textures are also one of my oldest requests since 2.0. including the infantry trenches and added recoil effects, many of my oldest wish list items are effectively settled.

however, in the hype videos, we see what look like concrete fortifications (another of my older checkboxes). i cannot find this in the mission or map editor as an obstacle or structure. are these included in the personal edition or a military customer option only?

1 hour ago, Captain_Colossus said:

the heat blur was on my wishlist waiting for version sb pro pe 2.0 to roll out ever since i first saw anyeffect like that in the precursor to DCS, which used to be called lock on, if i'm not mistaken. the cooked vehicle textures are also one of my oldest requests since 2.0. including the infantry trenches and added recoil effects, many of my oldest wish list items are effectively settled.

however, in the hype videos, we see what look like concrete fortifications (another of my older checkboxes). i cannot find this in the mission or map editor as an obstacle or structure. are these included in the personal edition or a military customer option only?

Custom maps object, DK (rubber tracks) can elaborate on this, or not......JK'ing DK :)

4 hours ago, mpow66m said:

Demo is still availiable?

Yes, (on various DL sites) however there will be a DirectX issue if operating latest DirectX versions. I tried, and it works on my 2nd PC using Win XP and that version of DX.

We have come a long way from that early SB.:)

Edited by 12Alfa

• Members

The old demo would be a DirectX 7.0A application with 800x600 fixed screen resolution and a 8 bit (256 color) palette. Finding a graphics card driver that supports such an ancient mode with a non-ancient card would already be a challenge.

48 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

The old demo would be a DirectX 7.0A application with 800x600 fixed screen resolution and a 8 bit (256 color) palette. Finding a graphics card driver that supports such an ancient mode with a non-ancient card would already be a challenge.

About the demo:

We're maybe not talking about the same scenario, but I'm still having a blast - in SB 4.357 - with the Demo_Attack scenario, that dates from 11/06/2001.

I upload it hereby.

Enjoy !

Demo_Attack.sce

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

I just bought a new comp,I can play w every setting at max(yayy) so i guess the old 2001 demo is a no go.

Edited by mpow66m
blah

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

So true.

I had the option to send old PC's to landfill or wherever, or  save and run fav old programs that, it seems way back when worked so well, I never regret that decision to this day :)

• Members

Thanks, it's appreciated. The last months weren't easy. Not quite as grueling as the new terrain engine, but that's like saying, "we didn't have to run the full marathon distance, just barely above 40 kilometers!". Technically true, but no difference in substance.

1 hour ago, Rotareneg said:

A couple nice things I noticed in the mission editor: "Engine off, if..." and Embark on route if "Unit this is done with fire mission".

Also... boats as an category of units?

Finished fire missions and the Boats category are not new, pretty sure already in earlier versions..

Engine off if is a great addition if it’s working, have you tested?

Nice details I’ve noticed:

- “no change” option as default for unit spacing on routes and waypoints

- In AAR with the option ticked for ignore events outside view enabled, the map won’t jump to centre on the next event, so you can scroll through more easily

• Members
1 hour ago, Rotareneg said:

Also... boats as an category of units?

Yeah, there's "a" boat for "a" customer. It's neither particularly useful nor particularly sophisticated. In an ideal world you wouldn't even notice that you're missing out on this "feature".

On 8/8/2022 at 9:40 PM, Captain_Colossus said:

As @12alfa mentioned it is correct that in my videos you could see concrete bunkers.. They are a custom model made for my Oksbøl map, just as some other stuff that is on that map aswell. And Oksbøl will eventually include more custom objects when i get the time to it.. All towns will receive their own town sign, cause of realism from my sake..