Jump to content

Loose ends


 Share

Recommended Posts

I doubt loaders machine guns will be playable anytime soon. There's not a lot of training value from that. They would only be doing that for civilian market and they sound pretty busy setting up for the new engine.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

The new engine, however, would allow to have more than two coaxial weapons (say, one 100mm gun, a 30mm autocannon, and a 7.62mm coaxial MG, to give a completely random example). Or to have more than one gunner on a vehicle, where one would mount some AA MG. That's among the reasons why we're making the rather painful effort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Speaking of which, sure wish we could have an option to ditch the Loaders mg in the Leo 2a6.

It isn't used in game.

It' completely blocks the peri view to the left side .

Drives me nuts.

 

Even if it could be pointed skywards or backwards or somethingwards to get it partially out of the way at least.

 

 

Edited by Parachuteprone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The new engine, however, would allow to have more than two coaxial weapons (say, one 100mm gun, a 30mm autocannon, and a 7.62mm coaxial MG, to give a completely random example). Or to have more than one gunner on a vehicle, where one would mount some AA MG. That's among the reasons why we're making the rather painful effort.

A new engine you say? 😮

(Yes I've been gone for a long time lol)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Not in this update; 4.3 continues to use the (heavily modified, lighting-improved, high-res terrain-enabled) Viper Engine that we adapted with version 3.0. So all this talk here is about version 5.0 and beyond. It's quite likely that there will be a Version 4.5 and/or 4.8 release before 5.0 is in a shape and form that it's suitable to replace the existing SB Pro PE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Not in this update; 4.3 continues to use the (heavily modified, lighting-improved, high-res terrain-enabled) Viper Engine that we adapted with version 3.0. So all this talk here is about version 5.0 and beyond. It's quite likely that there will be a Version 4.5 and/or 4.8 release before 5.0 is in a shape and form that it's suitable to replace the existing SB Pro PE.

Oh,5.0 will be in the distant future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Depends on your definition of "distant", but yes, it's definitely not "around the corner". It can't be. If we want to get rid of parts of the legacy code that impede further development - there are some - and if those parts needing replacement have deep roots that touch all parts of the rest of the code (they do), then you can't just replace the render engine and call it a day. The UI middleware needs to be replaced (well, "a UI middleware needs to be added" in the first place). The render engine needs to be replaced (DirectX 9 will be discontinued eventually, and doesn't allow the performance boosts that we want to achieve). AI code needs to be re-written from ground up. And then, every (combat) vehicle we have in SB Pro needs to be converted in code and in scripts. Often, that will go along with a 3D artwork facelift. These are the four major dragons that we must slay. It's doable, but it's not trivial. And in the meantime our customers still expect updates and a functional Steel Beasts for training or entertainment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Not in this update; 4.3 continues to use the (heavily modified, lighting-improved, high-res terrain-enabled) Viper Engine that we adapted with version 3.0. So all this talk here is about version 5.0 and beyond. It's quite likely that there will be a Version 4.5 and/or 4.8 release before 5.0 is in a shape and form that it's suitable to replace the existing SB Pro PE.

Ohhhh okay, so not any time soon but at some point. Nice :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I don't expect it to take that long. But of course, predictions, particularly those about the future, are a fickle thing. For our military customers it will be a gradual transition. You, on the other hand, want a new version that basically delivers what you already have (and then some). That means, we can make it public only after the bulk of all conversion work is complete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I don't expect it to take that long. But of course, predictions, particularly those about the future, are a fickle thing. For our military customers it will be a gradual transition. You, on the other hand, want a new version that basically delivers what you already have (and then some). That means, we can make it public only after the bulk of all conversion work is complete.

Do you expect any updates to infantry before 5.0? Like being able to shoot crouched and standing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I certainly won't rule it out. But one of the reasons we're moving to version 5 is the increasing complexity of the current AI code. So I'm predisposed to schedule this as a "5 activity". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...