Group units as a taskforce ?

Parachuteprone

44 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

In the pathfinder video he selects units and then brings up a window having "group units as a taskforce.

It doesn't say what keypress is used to bring up that window and I cannot find it in the book or figure it out.

Anyone know ?

Thanks

Hello -- As the narrator of said video, I'll chime in. 

In Planning, or in-game:

Left click and drag to highlight the vehicles you want in the taskforce.

Then right-click on a unit to make the below dialog appear:

Planning:

image.png.306100a1acb13198a8545f0aeb36ce78.png

In-Game:

image.png.e701925875c46441450d2539a0365862.png

• Members

If I had had this clarification in the Youtube video description, would you have found it?

Well, I put it in there on the off-chance that someone actually reads these texts.

In the Mission Editor, the next best thing to do is to copy a route chain, and then to paste that to all other units that belong to a group of units with a common task.

• Members

One problem is, say, you're creating a convoy route and there's the final reconstitution of the starting formation, just rotated in the direction of movement. How do you figure out years later which route belongs to which unit, particularly once that you start interconnecting these waypoints with a web of other routes that are shared across different platoons.

You can store such information in memory at runtime. In the Mission Editor you'd need to codify that into embark conditions identifying each member of a task force. Do you want a task force to interrupt its convoy travel in case of a meeting engagement, and restore its combat formation? In restrictive terrain too? How and under which conditions are the TF members to resume their convoy travel? Keep going if 20% of the TF are immobilized, and simply leave them behind?

Such a feature would require entirely different approaches to mission design, probably giving up on deterministic scenario execution and relying on autonomous behavior of units not under direct human control. That'd be an entirely different concept for the Mission Editor, and not welcomed by everybody.

So, we created a convenience feature for human players, but kept the Mission Editor just the way you are accustomed to for the last 25 years. Sometimes it's necessary to rock the boat at least a little bit; this one appeared too risky - at least for an improvised short-term development.