Beta: Ai aggression, and independent actions

Sgt_Anzac

In several misions i made i have found that the freindly AI tend to wander in the direction of enemy contacts, and im not talking about moving 100 meters up a slope to get into a bettrer BP. im talking about a HMMVW without any set order at an ending WP (stay), moving almost 1000 meters thru a forest to engage a squad. Or APC/IFVs leaving an asigned formation during a move order to engage infanery that another unit spotted 500 meters into a forest 200m to their 5 oclock. on many ocations it seams like the units overreact, and this leads to micromanagement and screwed up missions. Is there a way to work around this? perhaps there have been improvements made in the beta to the way that the units treat diffrent orders, and im just using the wrong ones expecting the same results that i got with the non beta?

Noticed same thing in H2H MP mission. I had an ASLAV-25 and few M1s. I started with ASLAV and engaged enemies OK, ran low on ammo and withdrew waaaay back (1,5km), gave the reload command and jumped to Abrams. To my surprise not long after that the ASLAV wandered to an open area, some 500-1000m from the place I left it. It DID NOT have any orders / old waypoint (it didn't proceed on old route that is). It didn't reload either. I put him back where he was and gave reload order AND shut the engine down. Then it worked OK.

Also noticed that a stopped vehicle who is doing nothing cannot be given action order like before. They can only be given routes with action orders in the waypoints. Before beta you could give a stopped/routeles unit a "defend/hold/etc." -order, but in beta it doesn't work, except manually jumping into the vehicle and hitting "E"...

Zip

I've routed vehicles to a waypoint below a ridgeline, not wanting them to expose themselves. I come back a few moments later to find the units on top of the hill. The only way I found to prevent this was to put the "stay" command at the final waypoint. Sure, they don't wander up the hill anymore, but when OPFOR drops an arty strike on their heads....:nuke:

Been looking into this and i dont know if its a bug realy. units that do not have a STAY order tend to move in the direction of enemy contact independent of terrain in between the blue and red unit. in a way i can see the benefit of this, its pretty neat in the case where a platoon of M1s turn in the direction of a detected enemy BMP platon, crest a hill and engage it without the input of the player. at least as long as its in te lines of the intent of the human player.

but i also see the downside of it, i see alot of micromanagement to have them NOT do it in the case where its not in the intent of the human commander. this is realy not a problem (its even an improvement) as long as ALL platoon on map, red and blue, ar in command of a dedicated human platonleader.

At the platoon level its a real improvement becuse you have eyes on all your units and can counter any "stupid" behavior easily. the problems start when you have alot of units under you comman in a mission, or a scripted enemy that you cant realy manage.

i have a couple of missions that will show what i meen, just pm me and ill send them to you.