Mo' missions (from the Wish List)

Parachuteprone

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

I still waiting more campaign operations. More single player missions. It is good to have users misisons to be downloaded, but would be nice to have more official gameplay in 4.3 etc... at the end this is an entertainment product for us we do not want to train anything, and have difficulties playing with people.

Was hopping to have an (special) operations campaign in Ucrania in 4.3 version. Still I hope the miracle arrives.

Thanks.

I'm hoping someone makes a mission generator someday. I have no problem paying . Or at least for my share Lol !

Since the mission editor has so many options to consider it would be a huge amount of work. May not even be possible.

Not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

25 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

I'm hoping someone makes a mission generator someday. I have no problem paying . Or at least for my share Lol !

Since the mission editor has so many options to consider it would be a huge amount of work. May not even be possible.

Not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

Why overthink it ...?

You have it.

Its called asking some of the experienced gentlemen here nicely.

So to name but a few and leaving many unfairly out:

@Apocalypse 31. @Grenny @Gibsonm. @ben @Connaugh  or myself in all modesty.

In short:

Many people here can help you if you have a vision and idea...

Edited by Nike-Ajax

1 hour ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Why overthink it ...?

You have it.

Its called asking some of the experienced gentlemen here nicely.

So to name but a few and leaving many unfairly out:

@Apocalypse 31. @Grenny @Gibsonm. @ben @Connaugh  or myself in all modesty.

In short:

Many people here can help you if you have a vision and idea...

Thanks, but I wouldn't ask someone to embark on that kind of effort for free, unless it was something they desired for their own use.

A full generator would take - well I don't even know. Weeks ? Months ? years ?

Takes me hours to build one simple scenario :). I would not have the time or the knowledge.

I think it would require a level of programming as well as very detailed knowledge of the editor itself.

If it was simple I suspect Esim would have done it as it would likely bring in lots of casual players.

You would need to choose two nations/sides or more

Postures, skill levels.

A map - 

A time of year

A year.

The user could choose the equipment pool for the generator to pick from to save some effort but then even that has to be programmed unless you place each unit manually with a randomized chance to spawn with routes.

The types of missions meeting engagement/ defend /attack/ delay/ static/ fording rivers etc.  (Although I suppose you would not have to go as far as river crossings)

The force ratios would need to be somewhat randomized based on mission type.. Ammo is date specific as well.

Artillery, air support. Now, or soon drones :)

The routes would have to be randomized which isn't too hard but then

The objectives would need to be randomized as well for each side.

I'm likely missing lots of things.

Maybe when I retire someday :)

But thanks for the offer to help !

Edited by Parachuteprone

• Members

Realistically speaking, eSim Games simply doesn't have the manpower for extensive scenario development. We have always depended on the user community to create missions. Mission creation seems to be spurred by new feature development - it gives people ideas - so by nature such scenarios cannot be developed in advance (except maybe by beta testers, but they are busy running their test cycles) except maybe dedicated mission designers that are willing to sign an NDA (which, this time, wasn't the case).

Another important factor is feedback. If people just download and play but never tell the mission designers that they did good work, they tend to build simply what they want and then to upload it if they feel like it.

Another factor that is overlooked is, if eSim Games were to regularly pay mission designers to create scenarios, this adds another workload on the team. If we ship a scenario officially with Steel Beasts,

- we must control its quality (that means repeated test runs by at least two, ideally more beta testers)

- we are probably expected to maintain/update scenarios as AI routines get updated, munition parameters changed, new capabilities added

Again, this is beyond our manpower capacity. I don't mind paying a one-time fee for the one or other scenario that is being offered to us. Chances are, you probably downloaded and played an early version of it already because the way to refine them is to upload them here or in multiplayer games and to test them with other players. This also tends to favor the creation of multiplayer scenarios.

I'm not sure what the solution is. I don't want to suggest that mission designers should set up a Patreon account, but it seems like this might actually not be the worst idea possible. If enough people are willing to pay someone for regular scenario creation, then these people might also be the ones willing to test the work and provide more detailed feedback than the download page on this site seems to elicit.

I do know what doesn't work: Downloading scenarios and never telling the mission designers that you liked their work.

Not everybody is a born mission designer. Not everybody needs to become one, don't get me wrong. Learning to use the Mission Editor is probably less difficult than some may think it is. The easiest way seems to be to pick a scenario that you almost like, and then to modify it. Or to ask the mission designer on the forum why or how he did a certain thing. Involvement creates motivation.

32 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I do know what doesn't work: Downloading scenarios and never telling the mission designers that you liked their work

I upload a bunch of stuff and never get feedback. I just assume my work sucks. It's fine, really. 

It's also a niche game with a really small community that is even further fragmented with different personalities so I'm not expecting much feedback.

The feedback that I do get is usually implemented immediately, as I am someone who likes to please the crowd.

32 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

we are probably expected to maintain/update scenarios as AI routines get updated, munition parameters changed, new capabilities added

Let me know if this is something that needs to be done.

Edited by Apocalypse 31

I wouldn't expect esim to spend time on this. Rather see you guys working on the game.

I was thinking more along an experienced 3rd party designer that esim trusts to sell it as a DLC to be mutually financially beneficial to both parties.

Not a series of scenarios but a dynamic generator.

I think I've only downloaded one , maybe two scenarios. They are well done but the situation may not be what you want to experience.

For instance if you want to simulate some hotspot or other.

I make my own scenarios but my skills/ knowledge is not at a level where I can relatively quickly build something . I know the enemy is coming from there or there and how many unless I spend lots of time randomizing.

By the time I'm done I've almost lost interest in playing it out lol.

I know most here are more into multiplayer or are professional military but there must be some like me. :)

I know something like this is beyond the scope of possibility but it is a wishlist after all  :)

4 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

I make my own scenarios but my skills/ knowledge is not at a level where I can relatively quickly build something . I know the enemy is coming from there or there and how many unless I spend lots of time randomizing.

By the time I'm done I've almost lost interest in playing it out lol.

Yes. The editor is a great feature and really easy to use.

However it's a much bigger step when producing a scenario with a coherent story/situation and it's all packaged with graphics, briefings, and images. 

I don't play my own scenarios beyond testing so it's been pretty slow for content on my end.

I always encourage people to upload their work. Even if it's bare bones, feedback and experience will help improve over time.

I highly doubt your work sucks :)

I'm a bit fickle. I sit down something pops into my head and then I would have to search to see if something matches somewhat or what I do is

I just go to the editor but I suck,  I don't play enough to really learn it so I'm slow and don't learn all the things that would make it good.

Going to semi- retirement , maybe I'll have more time to learn it now.

Thats just me .

Just now, Parachuteprone said:

I'm a bit fickle. I sit down something pops into my head and then I would have to search to see if something matches somewhat or what I do is

I just go to the editor but I suck,  I don't play enough to really learn it so I'm slow and don't learn all the things that would make it good.

Thats just me .

And sorry for derailing the wish list :)

5 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

Thats just me .

Let me know if you ever want to collaborate on an idea. I've done this with Ben, who I consider a good designer, and it's been really fun.

I'd always been down to assist your concept and make it into a thing.

11 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

And sorry for derailing the wish list :)

You are not!

This software lives by being used and played with. 

And I mean that. 

I also meant it when I said the   community is alive and can and Will help !

Dont hold yourself back Jack.

7 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Let me know if you ever want to collaborate on an idea. I've done this with Ben, who I consider a good designer, and it's been really fun.

We have done a few too. And have a new to go. 😁👍

Edited by Nike-Ajax

5 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Thanks ! Got to spend some more time with the manual - ugh ! :)

1 minute ago, Nike-Ajax said:

You are not!

This software lives by being used and played with. 

And I mean that. 

I also meant it when I said the   community is alive and can and Will help !

Dont hold yourself back Jack.

We have done a few too. And have a new to go. 😁👍

Thanks ! Actually I guess there will have to be a new manual update. Must be a download.

15 hours ago, Parachuteprone said:

I'm hoping someone makes a mission generator someday.

Its not possible for a scenario designer to make a full mission generator in Steel Beasts.

Customizable scenarios where you can choose the BLUFOR and OPFOR types are possible, this is a classic example:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/files/file/2213-tanks-again/

That type of mission generator you are thinking of would need a scripting system (such as in Arma); there is no scripting in SB, so making anything more complex is practically not doable.

@Apocalypse 31 Has has a nice "battle generator" excel spreadsheet which is a great way to generate scenario ideas.  However all the editing has to be done manually in SB editor though!

My advice is start very small and make bite sized scenarios that you want to play yourself, then share them here and get feedback.  We always need more scenario designers publishing stuff even if its small scale scenarios.

Edited by ben

1 hour ago, Hedgehog said:

I think I spent 400/500hours making a scenario once (OP Muppet)..

So that would be £5000 @ £10phr

I had fun in OP Muppet, would happily buy you a beer for the effort... not sure we can find another 999 players to make up the rest :)

I hate to think how may hours total on making and testing and updating all my scenarios over the years!

I have successfully sold a few scenarios to eSim now, ssnake will accept submissions, subject to testing/quality so you could at least get some remunerations..

On 6/18/2022 at 3:56 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

I upload a bunch of stuff and never get feedback. I just assume my work sucks. It's fine, really. 

It's also a niche game with a really small community that is even further fragmented with different personalities so I'm not expecting much feedback.

The feedback that I do get is usually implemented immediately, as I am someone who likes to please the crowd.

Apocalypse, your scenarios are just plain awesome! I just need to remember to comment. Sometimes, one just gets all excited about the scenario, plays it and is so into the scenario that they forget to comment... 😅 But big time thank you! All in all, great scenarios and I look forward to seeing more of them!  

On 6/18/2022 at 4:56 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

your scenarios are some of my favorites...love them

@ben@Apocalypse 31I'm one of those guys who sometimes (most of the times) forget to drop a word of thanks or feedback. Just want to say thanks for your work, it is much appreciated.

Right now I'm playing Ben's scenario 20 which is a really good size for single-player + the terrain is visually pleasing. At this time, my infantry is trying to clear out the town, but we're taking losses...

:)

47 minutes ago, Count Sessine said:

@ben@Apocalypse 31I'm one of those guys who sometimes (most of the times) forget to drop a word of thanks or feedback. Just want to say thanks for your work, it is much appreciated.

Right now I'm playing Ben's scenario 20 which is a really good size for single-player + the terrain is visually pleasing. At this time, my infantry is trying to clear out the town, but we're taking losses...

:)

Thanks dude always good to get feedback 👍

Share your AAR file if it’s a good battle 😉