steelbeasts turns off my computer...

bergmania
Go to solution Solved by bergmania,

I have gotten a issue where when I'm in the game all of a sudden my machine just shuts off.. Steel Beasts v4.268 .. I never seen it before and it only happens when SB is running.. 

No strange things before it happens either.. it just dies.. and only when I have SB active..  

It's not thermals as my CPU don't get that hot and neither do the gpu... I can play more demanding games for hours.. and no real clues in systemlogs why it happends.. 

I just get a "The previous system shutdown at 21:47:33 on ‎2022-‎06-‎21 was unexpected." in the eventlog.. there is no crashdump file created.. 

I can only recreate it with SB.. more taxing games are fine..  I can play Jedi Knight Fallen Order for hours without it just shutting down... Or compile firefox.. Or run Cinebench.. 

My machine.. 
Summary
        Operating System
            Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
        CPU
            AMD 5600X
        RAM
            64,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 3200MHz (16-20-20-39)
        Motherboard
            Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X570 AORUS ELITE (AM4)    30 °C
        Graphics
            LC27G5xT (2560x1440@59Hz)
            8096MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (EVGA)    31 °C
        Storage
            931GB GIGABYTE GP-AG41TB (Unknown (SSD)) (Windows Boot)
            223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SATA-2 (SSD))    29 °C
            3726GB Seagate ST4000DM000-1F2168 (SATA )    33 °C
            3726GB Seagate ST4000VN008-2DR166 (SATA )    28 °C
            931GB KINGSTON SA2000M81000G (SATA-2 (SSD))
            39MB WIBU - CodeMeter-Stick USB Device (USB )
        Audio
            Logitech PRO X Gaming Headset

Anyone have and idea?

• Ssnake changed the title to steelbeasts turns off my computer...
2 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

What kind of power supply do you have? I'm thinking maybe not enough power when your CPU and GPU demand it. This or heat.

I have a fairly new corsair cx500m.. so maybe that's is the cause.. but still strange that only SB trigger it.. As I said I can play everything else for hours without it happens..

Played arma reforger for a few hours last night .. and that is a taxing game..  with no system shutdown on me.. 

Going to log temps and see what's happening there.. but I have led fans that are set to go red when gpu and cpu begin to get hot.. and they are still green when the shutdown occurs.. 

@Ssnake
I trust you on that.. and had SB triggered the correct way it would say so in the eventlog.. :P 

• Solution

Was away on my lunch and bought a Corsair RM750x and so far the computer has not died.. Did some testing with nvidias performance panel and the 3070 draws around max 230W when shaking the camera in SB.. but it fluctuates wildly like in between 60W to 230W  SO my old PSU did probably not like that.. and shut itself off.. 

500W is like the bare minimum for a 3070.. anyways.. new PSU seems to have fixed the issue.. just weird that it only happened when SB was running..  

Other games like for example Generation Zero stays at around 210w all the time..  and don't spike 170W all of a sudden.. 

5 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

Gamers Nexus just did a video on GPU power transients:

https://youtu.be/wnRyyCsuHFQ

Gonna watch.. still kinda wierd that it hasn't been a problem until I started playing SB again.. Anyhow..  do not skimp out on the PSU.. I did have a good PSU but it obviously slightly to small for a 3070.. And It didn't like the transient power spike.. the other games I play don't spike like that so I haven't seen it before.. Anyways.. a corsair rm750x handles the spikes without shutting itself off.. and as I did have a corsair since before I did not need to change most of the modular cables.. :)

Why SB spikes the GPU and PSU and not other games (with the recent exception of New World that I haven't played and I guess I would have noticed then.. ) may be something for Esim to look at.. I'm good now but I suspect that I'm not alone with the issue.. overall..  

Edited by bergmania

I've had some unexplained shutdowns too. Haven't been playing much, but have been using the mission editor and map editor in 3D world view. Suspected its my aging system. I do have a 700w PSU, though. Not top-of-the-line.

I mention it just to agree ... you're not alone.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, bergmania said:

.. and as I did have a corsair since before I did not need to change most of the modular cables.. :)

Why SB spikes the GPU and PSU and not other games (with the recent exception of New World that I haven't played and I guess I would have noticed then.. ) may be something for Esim to look at.. I'm good now but I suspect that I'm not alone with the issue.. overall.. 

I was going to say, you got that PSU swapped out real fast. Good thing your modular cables were plug and play with the new PSU. I've heard this may not always be the case, so perhaps it was a good thing you got another Corsair.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:17 PM, Scrapper_511 said:

I was going to say, you got that PSU swapped out real fast. Good thing your modular cables were plug and play with the new PSU. I've heard this may not always be the case, so perhaps it was a good thing you got another Corsair.

Yeah, that was why I did go for another Corsair.. I have had good experience with them in the past and nice not to have to redo the cable management.. The one that gave me trouble is from 2017.. so I probobly should have repaced it

when I bought my 3070, 

Edited by bergmania