Help request

Retro

• Members

I need a way to programatically find out PRO PE's installation folder.

Looking through my registry, I found the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\18D375EC7FBC4D042A573C6EE8AC4379

with the value

0EEDA579710B94A409262B39EF01A413

which holds the installation directory of PRO PE.

I'd need some other people confirm that this key is constant for PRO PE, and not something that's generated on the fly during the installation, so would be grateful if someone could fire up regedit and see if this key also exists with their PRO PE (beta) installation. If you've not the BETA but the "official" release installed I'd also be interested in the key.

Alternatively (if you've got the beta!), you could open up a command shell and enter the string (just copy it from here)

reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\18D375EC7FBC4D042A573C6EE8AC4379

this should (hopefully) return

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\18D375EC7FBC4D042A573C6EE8AC4379
0EEDA579710B94A409262B39EF01A413 REG_SZ D:\Programme\eSim Games\SB Pro PE Beta\

Of course if someone from the dev team could take a quick look it would be even better but I expect they're busy elsewhere.. :P

Thanks! :)

• Members

Thanks. The reason I asked is because I wrote a small tool.. the Steel Beasts Path Finder

SBPathFinder.png

This tool will (hopefully) help people locate SB PRO PE's resource directories more easily.. just click on the button of the folder you're interested in, and it should open in Windows Explorer.

This will only work with the Beta as I'm using its unique (I hope so!) installation string to locate its installation directory. I guess with the patch this tool will need an update.

Download link for the installer

This tool needs the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed, but I think that should not be a problem nowadays.

I stole the folder explanations from the Pro Pe File Paths thread, thanks!

I hope this works ok, would like to have some feedback