Empire Total war

Charlie

... boy I hate steam.

Bought Empire total war yesterday and was real happy because I'm off on a business trip and then at least I would get to play it for one full evening... wrong.

Since it's steam you cannot register the game until they say it's ok.. which is today. Fine, so I waited until today.. and now I get to play for about two or so hours before I have to get some sleep before the 0500 train to nowhere tomorrow...wrong.

After installing for about forty minutes.. not including the time I had to spend removing everything off my C:-drive since steam insists on using that, not any of the other drives which have free space, I was FINALLY ready to fire it up.... wrong. Now steam decides it needs to update something and that will take another hour or so because apparently they are hand cranking out the bits and bytes.

All other steam games I have owned have either become corrupt after a while or steam itself has stopped working. I'm hoping for at least one campaign before that happens.

I'm sure it's a good game though, just wish they would have put it on the two DVDs that came in the box instead of having me download it through some old garden hose. No wonder people turn to console games. I miss putting the DVD in the tray, installing and then playing.. no hassle.

Sometimes it seems to me that someone is really trying their best to kill the PC game market by inventing all these time eating applications. Oh well, now we are at 96% so perhaps I just need to create some free accounts, add some buddies and sign up for some mandatory spam before I can play.

-C-

Wahrborg, I got the DVD boxed version but you still have to go through the steam mess anyway. The game is pretty good so far. Playing as Sweden everything was pretty true to real life. As Swedes do, I promptly, without enough forces took Norway but the lost Kurland and of course the Danes sank my fleet. I burned some witches which I chose were responsible for my fleet's poor performance.. not that I chose the King's no good brother as the Admiral. Pretty realistic. Now my plan is to pillage Denmark and then to squander the success by attempting a drive against Russia. The troops speak Swedish which is real cool.

I'm hoping that the Danes will anchor their fleet on the rocky bottom outside Öland and then be crushed by weather and that their scottish mercenaries will fight the german ones.

My gripes are so far: The action is too fast! Men run like the wind and sometimes you have a real click fest on your hands <enter modders> and of course too little time to play....

-C-

I deleted my steam account after it took for ever to download the demo(which never finished i got bored!)I am still undecided about this game.i have the other Total War games but after a bit they get a bit samey.The Naval aspect is the only thing that would attract me to buy it,but with it not being the total part of the game im not sure it will be done properly.

If you are interested in the naval side forget it. It is gayed up beyond belief.

There is no modeling of wind direction or speed. Ships can turn on the spot. You can drop anchors and stop immediately. Raise the anchor and you accelerate immediately. The amount of sail on the ship is counted like a throttle setting. Ships don't heel over when turning (which effected the ability to fire in those days).

• Moderators
My gripes are so far: The action is too fast! Men run like the wind and sometimes you have a real click fest on your hands <enter modders> and of course too little time to play....

Ahh geez, are they never going to anything about this? The complaint in every Total War since Shogun is that the units move and fight too quickly. People have asked for a feature to slow down the action to .75 or .5 time but I guess they refuse to do that.

Let me guess, still no online campaign mode either eh?

One of the interesting differences compared to other versions of tow is that you don't seem to be able to have a massive number of armies (like in real life). I only played for a short while but my economy was crumbling with just two smallish armies. I also saw that two player mp will be delivered as a patch later on .... that's mp campaigns we are talking about.

-c-

well, the biggest gripe i've had with the total war series so far is the retarded AI during sieges.

if i sallied against a sieging army, i could usually beat the AI completely, by first killing off all its archers with horses, and then roll up ballistas or catapults on the side of the army,

and shoot until nearly the whole sieging army were killed, while barely losing any soldiers at all myself.

with a more "dynamic AI" that might be fixed now.

• Moderators
Correct.. And the game is so heavy on something I need to get a new PC before I can try to play it in other than slideshow -mode. And Med II played well in full settings, damnit!

Oh great. Medieval 2 played like a slide show on my PC with almost everything turned off, so I guess Empire:TW will cause my computer to have a meltdown.

I dont see the big fuzz about steam, the app works very well, Most of the time it's peoples computers who are ghey. If your games are getting corrupt after some time charlie that usually means that there is something wrong with your hardware and not steam.

Secondly steam does not force you to install on C drive, just install the steam client itself on any drive you want, and since steam installs games in it's own folder structure they will end up wherever you have put the client itself. You can turn it of from autostarting if you dont like that also.

IMO steam is a good way of getting rid of those damn CD/DVD's it's amazing how long it has taken for the industry to get rid of that useless crap.

If my comp crashes or if i install steam client on another comp all i have to do is download the games again and everything is peachy. If the cd for your precious game brakes or gets lost your screwed.

There are things about steam which i dont like, like the companies retarded way of screwing european customers by using the same prices for games in dollars and euros. Total War costs 49.99$ on steam in US, it costs the same ammount in euros for european customers which means we have to pay 63$ with current currency exchange rates.

• Moderators

Well, I have to put in my observations now that I just bought Empire:TW yesterday. In a word, I think it is an awesome game. The only problem of course being that my old ass computer runs it terribly. I have been meaning to get a new computer for years now and Empire:TW will probably push me towards that decision even sooner.

I don't think the game is perfect, but what game is. I don't think the naval aspect is "gayed up" as some has said, it is still fun and enjoyable albeit it may not be Naval Sail Boat Simulator 2009 like some people apparently expect.

They did add a slow motion button to the battles to slow the action down by 1/2 which is good, the only bad thing is that if you do so then you won't hear any battle sounds lol -- not good.

As some have mentioned, the same problem with all Total War games still exists: no multiplayer campaign and the combat units move way too fast (so fast that it is hard to keep track of everything going on). Since they say that multiplayer campaign will be added later (probably at the same time a T-72 is added to SB), then I guess that issue is not so bad). The fast unit movement has been like this since Shogun so I have kind of gotten used to it by now although I wish they would slow it all down. Or, at the very least, make it so that units get winded VERY EASILY, instead of them being able to run all over the map all the time.

Other than that, the battles are fun and the campaign is fun. The only thing I wish for is to have a better NASA type super computer where I can turn on all the details and raise the unit sizes to "Ultra". If I could do that, then each unit would have over 200 men in them, but until then I have to be content with units of 20 men.

Still, I think it is definately worth getting and probably worth upgrading your computer for. Now if they just revisit Shogun in the next game then everything will be complete -- but no, they will probably make a Total War: WW2 or something.