Tank Platoon 1-4

DavidRN

Not quite.

In US numbering (other countries use different call sign / numbering conventions) "1" is the Platoon Commander, "4" is the Platoon Sgt (2IC of the Platoon).

"2" and "3" are ordinary members of the Platoon.

When the Platoon splits into 2x Patrols / Sections of two vehicles, "1" and "4" command each section and from memory, "2" pairs with "1" and "3" pairs with "4" (but I could be wrong - the easiest way is to take a 4 vehicle platoon and divide it and then inspect the members of each of the two vehicle sections.

Edited by Gibsonm
Typo

21 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Not quite.

In US numbering (other countries use different call sign / numbering conventions) "1" is the Platoon Commander, "4" is the Platoon Sgt (2IC of the Platoon).

"3" and "4" are ordinary members of the Platoon.

When the Platoon splits into 2x Patrols / Sections of two vehicles, "1" and "4" command each section and from memory, "2" pairs with "1" and "3" pairs with "4" (but I could be wrong - the easiest way is to take a 4 vehicle platoon and divide it and then inspect the members of each of the two vehicle sections.

Thanks for that and I should have looked closer as the tanks are numbered on the picture.

2 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Of course, that's the American way of naming conventions.

Indeed. Hence:

36 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Not quite.

Edited by Gibsonm

To add, in the USA system "2" is the senior wingman because they (not "1") lead the formation when in column, so they could possibly be the lead tank of a CO Team or even BN Task Force.

SB default: 
Line/Wedge: (Left to Right) 3-1-2-4
Column (Front to Rear): 1-2-3-4
Sections: A) 1-3 B) 2-4

USA Actual:
Line/Wedge: (Left to Right) 2-1-4-3
Column (Front to Rear): 2-1-4-3
Sections: A) 1-2 B) 4-3

13 minutes ago, IrishHussar said:

That's an awefull lot of Senior NCOs per each Plt!!

This represents what is "ideal."

PFC gunners and Corporal TCs aren't uncommon. 

Also, SSGs aren't considered Senior NCOs.

Edited by Mirzayev

On 7/6/2022 at 8:47 PM, Gibsonm said:

There is nothing stopping people renumbering the vehicles in a call sign template, although not all the formations would be captured in the one template.

Yeah but then you'd have to have tank "2" as the platoon leader (in SB) if you want to use a column formation.

And then when you use a line or wedge formation the "2" tank would be centre left/right

On 7/6/2022 at 8:47 PM, Gibsonm said:

There is nothing stopping people renumbering the vehicles in a call sign template, although not all the formations would be captured in the one template.

Yeah but then you'd have to have tank "2" as the platoon leader (in SB) if you want to use a column formation.

And then when you use a line or wedge formation the "2" tank would be centre left/right

• Members

Let me put it this way. The Danish Army insisted for a few years that the platoon leader not be the point vehicle when traveling in column. So we did that. Everybody hated it. At some point they asked us to return to the standard, where the human player leads the pack. Yes, technically this leads to an even higher loss rate among platoon leaders, but the practicality of having a human player in the point vehicle clearly offests that drawback in a simulation where the platoon leader (and nobody else) actually won't die.

I'm all for reflecting real-life procedures as closely as possible in a simulation, but you still have to have a software product that finds user acceptance and that is reasonably straightforward to use. So, some simplifications - this being one of them - are not just tolerable, but actually essential.

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Let me put it this way. The Danish Army insisted for a few years that the platoon leader not be the point vehicle when traveling in column. So we did that. Everybody hated it. At some point they asked us to return to the standard, where the human player leads the pack. Yes, technically this leads to an even higher loss rate among platoon leaders, but the practicality of having a human player in the point vehicle clearly offests that drawback in a simulation where the platoon leader (and nobody else) actually won't die.

I'm all for reflecting real-life procedures as closely as possible in a simulation, but you still have to have a software product that finds user acceptance and that is reasonably straightforward to use. So, some simplifications - this being one of them - are not just tolerable, but actually essential.

Of course if you have a fully manned platoon, you can do it the real way.

So it's not an SB logic limitation but a deliberate design decsision, choice, ok.

Thanks for the input @Ssnake

• Members
2 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Of course if you have a fully manned platoon, you can do it the real way.

Exactly.

What counts is that the software is flexible enough to fit the purpose of training for different audiences and different training goals 

On 7/8/2022 at 10:11 PM, Hedgehog said:

Which is why I said:

"although not all the formations would be captured in the one template."

I don't understand why you don't bother to read the complete sentence, including the caveat.

Does it need to have a character limit like a tweet or something?