Tank Platoon - A Beginner Series

Mirzayev

I decided to create a series of scenarios designed to familiarize new Steel Beasts players with basic Offense and Defense tasks executed by a Tank Platoon. This series will use US Army Doctrine as a basis, and aims to present the Tank Platoon's role when operating as part of an Armor Company. This series will also has a focus on introducing concepts within the game to the player, while maintaining a low level of difficulty to reduce frustration during the learning process.

The following tasks are planned to be covered.

Offense:

- Movement to Contact 

- Attack

- Pursuit

- Exploitation

Defense:

- Area Defense

- Mobile Defense

- Retrograde

Feel free to provide feedback or requests for future missions below. 

Edited by Mirzayev

This is the first in a series of scenarios designed to familiarize new Steel Beasts players with basic Offense and Defense tasks executed by a Tank Platoon. This series uses US Army Doctrine as a basis, and aims to present the Tank Platoon's role when operating as part of an Armor Company. This series also has a focus on introducing concepts within the game to the player, while maintaining a low level of difficulty to reduce frustration during the learning process.

Movement to contact is an offensive task designed to develop the situation and to establish or regain contact. It creates favorable conditions for subsequent tactical actions. The platoon leader conducts a movement to contact when the enemy situation is vague or not specific enough to conduct an attack. Forces executing this task seek to make contact using the smallest friendly force possible. A movement to contact may result in a meeting engagement, which is a combat action occurring when a moving force engages an enemy at an unexpected time and place. Once making contact with an enemy force, the leader has five options: attack, defend, bypass, delay, or withdraw. (ATP 3-20.15, Tank Platoon)

This scenario has been designed to allow the practice of the following eight (8x) concepts:

i. Conduct maneuver as a platoon.
      ii. Conduct a movement to contact as part of a tank company.
      iii. Conduct an attack by fire to destroy an inferior force.
      iv. Employ mortars to destroy an inferior force.
      v. React to enemy rotary wing assets as a platoon.
      vi. Conduct a reload as a platoon.
      vii. Break contact with a superior enemy force.
      viii. Conduct a hasty attack as part of a tank company.

This scenario is rated by the author as very easy, and will likely take approximately thirty (30x) minutes to complete.

This scenario heavily favors friendly forces for the purpose of facilitating a learning environment where tactical mistakes do not mean instant death. AVEPs have been included as a method for identifying tactical errors made by the player(s) by sorting through events during the AAR.

Special thanks to ben, Apocalypse, and Rooks and Kings for testing and providing feedback.

8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

It maybe out of scope but perhaps include an initial phase where the Platoon needs to resupply prior to the task.

Would introduce people to the "logistics stuff" that just happens.

I like this, but It'll need to have a nice balance as far as time so players "get the point" and can move on.

I'll probably do this during the Exploitation mission where they load up like 5x rounds and do a bit of refueling. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's up. 

Spoiler

This is the first in a series of scenarios designed to familiarize new Steel Beasts players with basic Offense and Defense tasks executed by a Tank Platoon. This series uses US Army Doctrine as a basis, and aims to present the Tank Platoon's role when operating as part of an Armor Company. This series also has a focus on introducing concepts within the game to the player, while maintaining a low level of difficulty to reduce frustration during the learning process.

Movement to contact is an offensive task designed to develop the situation and to establish or regain contact. It creates favorable conditions for subsequent tactical actions. The platoon leader conducts a movement to contact when the enemy situation is vague or not specific enough to conduct an attack. Forces executing this task seek to make contact using the smallest friendly force possible. A movement to contact may result in a meeting engagement, which is a combat action occurring when a moving force engages an enemy at an unexpected time and place. Once making contact with an enemy force, the leader has five options: attack, defend, bypass, delay, or withdraw. (ATP 3-20.15, Tank Platoon)

This scenario has been designed to allow the practice of the following eight (8x) concepts:

i. Conduct maneuver as a platoon.
      ii. Conduct a movement to contact as part of a tank company.
      iii. Conduct an attack by fire to destroy an inferior force.
      iv. Employ mortars to destroy an inferior force.
      v. React to enemy rotary wing assets as a platoon.
      vi. Conduct a reload as a platoon.
      vii. Break contact with a superior enemy force.
      viii. Conduct a hasty attack as part of a tank company.

This scenario is rated by the author as very easy, and will likely take approximately thirty (30x) minutes to complete.

This scenario heavily favors friendly forces for the purpose of facilitating a learning environment where tactical mistakes do not mean instant death. AVEPs have been included as a method for identifying tactical errors made by the player(s) by sorting through events during the AAR.

Special thanks to ben, Apocalypse, and Rooks and Kings for testing and providing feedback.

I've given it a good couple of playthroughs between @ben @Apocalypse 31 and I, so all identified issues that I am aware of have been tweaked/fixed. If you see anything that'll make this be a better experience, please let me know in this thread and I'll get on it.

Oh yeah, it includes trenches. If you are running pre-4.3, it won't work for ya. Figured that it is interesting to see how tanks can actually be effective in attacking trenches from the flanks, and seeing how indirect fire's effectiveness is reduced when you have infantry in them. 

I'll upload a new version of Movement to Contact based on some changes in version/author preference within the next week. 

Edited by Mirzayev

• 2 months later...