Steel Beasts Map Transfer Manager..error

Pipe

My methodology, proven through two instalments. 

1) Uninstall everything, including maps. 
2) Fresh install of maps from website 

3) Install upgrade 

4) Install map transfer manager 

5) Shut down rig and then restart 

6) Open transfer manager only, download new maps one at a time

Zero issues everything runs fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem might be a stale version of the download service?

I have run into this issue and it looks like the client exe tries to use ProgramData\boost_interprocess\1661917541 directory, whereas the service is using C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Transfer Tools.

EDIT: uninstalling and reinstalling just the transfer manager seems to have solved my problem. It now connects to the service automatically.

Edited by abelian

• 7 months later...
On 8/6/2022 at 12:21 AM, Pipe said:

2022-08-05.png

This still keeps happening to me.  

I am not bright with PC...  or any command line stuff  so when thread started to talk about such I desided to ignore the problem and go without mapstransfer tools, until now.    

So umm...   do I have to delete everything to get this working?   

I think I need somekind of easily understantable step by step guide.      

• Members

Start the Add/Remove Apps function (or right-click the Transfer Manager icon in the Windows Start menu, and select "Uninstall", which will open the same function). Scroll down the list of installed apps until you find "Steel Beasts Map Transfer Tools". If the entry does not contain "Version 55.0", uninstall it. Then start the Steel Beasts Bundle installer again, and just select the Transfer Tools as the component to install.

If the entry does read "Version 55.0", we have a different problem.

Given your error message in the screenshot, this appears likely. A Windows reboot might make the problem go away. Let me know if it doesn't.

13 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Start the Add/Remove Apps function (or right-click the Transfer Manager icon in the Windows Start menu, and select "Uninstall", which will open the same function). Scroll down the list of installed apps until you find "Steel Beasts Map Transfer Tools". If the entry does not contain "Version 55.0", uninstall it. Then start the Steel Beasts Bundle installer again, and just select the Transfer Tools as the component to install.

If the entry does read "Version 55.0", we have a different problem.

Given your error message in the screenshot, this appears likely. A Windows reboot might make the problem go away. Let me know if it doesn't.

image.png.ceb73c1e7bf9c0c080950822eb19c8c4.png

Umm.. it says  version 55.0 

And I checked and couldn't find any other map transfer tools

And that wasn't my screenshot I just think it is same as mine..    here is mine  

image.png.c84fd2b08ab114d2736363c784a8c24f.png

Edited by Lumituisku

• Members

Yeah, OK, so you have the right version. Your problem is that a certain file thinks it's still being opened by the Transfer Manager application when it isn't, and when you start the Transfer Manager it receives the faulty signal that there's already a copy up and running. Normally, the Transfer Manager will close that file when it's being terminated, but obviously, you can't terminate it if you can't start it in the regular fashion.

So, have you tried this recommendation:

Please try  navigate to  C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools\IPC,  then locate and delete PackageDownloadManagerMutex file. This worked in the past, with earlier  versions of Map Transfer Tools.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Yeah, OK, so you have the right version. Your problem is that a certain file thinks it's still being opened by the Transfer Manager application when it isn't, and when you start the Transfer Manager it receives the faulty signal that there's already a copy up and running. Normally, the Transfer Manager will close that file when it's being terminated, but obviously, you can't terminate it if you can't start it in the regular fashion.

So, have you tried this recommendation:

Okay so didn't find Mutex from that location but from here

image.png.2ebb5f09d3b1f6c7c9dcaec5fd41e7f4.png

Not sure if things are supposed to be like this but I have folders like this. 

image.png.bcd3a12aa9cfc6831cc78817d73c2e67.png

and on folder post you quoted refferred there is no IPC file but Logs file that has 2 rather old log text files  

image.png.806411756e176eeb685c3674883a18da.png

• 6 months later...

Suddenly, my map XFR app couldn't connect.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling all of SB...not a fun process on my day off.  Restarted PC.  The XFR app ran once connected, but as soon as I tried to download a map, it went to disconnected and I got an error message.  Tried shutting down XFR through taskbar icon left click.  The icon went away.  Tried restarting XFR app.  Got the hourglass then nothing.  

Ran the command (admin) line above.  Deleted the Mutex file.  Same thing.  I am stumped at what caused the problem and why its not working.

I sure hope the remedy isn't another uninstall/reinstall.  I am wasting away a day off and am going to give up for a while if it is.

Edit - Hold on...it suddenly started working.  Not sure why.  All I did was reboot.  I'll see if it stays working.

Edited by thewood

• Members

I generally advise people not to waste their times with reinstallations. Yes, sometimes it can help, but often enough it's cargo culting TBH. If you didn't delete files or know that you made an installation error, or changed drives, or had a "cleanup tool" destroy parts of your file system because an irresponsible programmer thought that he would know better than the operating system ... there usually is no point in reinstallations.

A system reboot, on the other hand, can sometimes be surprisingly effective and doesn't cost much effort.

I doubt very much the reboot after reinstall was what fixed it.  I rebooted multiple times before uninstalling and reinstalling.  I reinstalled then rebooting again.  I find the map transfer app fairly finicky.  Every now and then I have to kill it in task manager or windows services.  It disconnects and won't reconnect or it just won't come up when clicked on.  This is across 3-4 different laptops over the years.

This time it just wouldn't reconnect no matter what I tried.  Only thing I can think of is a recent windows update.

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2023 at 11:53 PM, Ssnake said:

Well, delete that file and you should be golden.

I've just restarted my machine and the Map Transfer Manager is broken again. :(

I've come back here to find do a search to find the file I need to bin to get it to work and it now works.

Unfortunate I have no idea how long it will now work for.

Is there some way we can make this tool more robust / less flakey???

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

The mutex file, unfortunately, is the attempt to make the tool more robust, and according to theory, these leftover files "should" no longer occur. Evidently they do; unfortunately it seems to happen rarely, or under hard-to-replicate conditions, which makes this a bit harder to fix. You could push this as a priority item in your organization's bug list, maybe.