Question/Request for Downloads Section

Splash

@Sean, Would it be -- or is it -- possible to allow for the author to make text updates to the "About this file" section of files without the file showing up in the "Files" pane of the forum home?

I'd love to update some of my offerings with a note something like "Works in Versions 4.268 and earlier only" but really don't want to spam the front page with a bunch of now-obsolete downloads. The only change to the download , after all, would be in the text description of it.

My best option at this point seems to be adding a Comment to the file(s) ... but the user has to go looking for those. Easily missed.

• Administrators

If the download is changed, it will float to the top of the list.  Send me one to try, and I can see what I can do.  I think we added a version field to the downloads a long time ago that should really cover this.  

1 hour ago, Sean said:

If the download is changed, it will float to the top of the list.

Yes. I was looking to avoid that. Several of my uploads are now obsolete (not complaining), and I didn't want to displace actual new content on the front page with files that essentially say, "Hey, look at me! I don't work anymore!"

FWIW, updates don't float to the top of the "Whats New" pane on the downoads page ... only the "Files" pane on the front page. I guess I was hoping maybe that could be made uniform. After all, I only really want to add a line of text to the "About This File" field -- which isn't even part of the actual file download --  a simple way to flag my own outdated content, saving unsuspecting users from downloading the files, installing per the instructions, and wondering why they don't see them in-game.

And yeah, on some of this stuff I'll eventually be uploading new versions. 

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I think we added a version field to the downloads a long time ago that should really cover this. 

Not really. All that tells a user is which SBProPE version the mod was created with. One skin created for 4.019 -- my Opfor Griffon for example -- might work in 4.357, while my EagleIV, made for the same 4.019 version, will not.

I could just delete the files, I suppose. But I'm actually kind of proud of some of that content, and deleting would deny them to the tiny subset of users who might run older versions. 😇

I'll see later today about submitting an update of one in the way I've described for you to try.

Edited by Splash

I feel like editing the description or adding a screenshot shouldn't move the file to the top of the list. 

Uploading a new version, sure.

I have this same problem - I like to add videos to my scenario files (when I find them on YouTube) and it bumps the file to the top of the list, which is a false-positive, since the scenario isn't updated.