Does the Bullitt drone work currently?

Rotareneg

• Members

It also depends on flight height.

The underlying assumptions are

- Bullitt uses image recognition to identify drones flying above; any identifiable target must be at least 10 pixels wide

- Bullitt's camera has a finite resolution (4096x4096)

- Bullitt's camera has a reasonable wide field of view

- Identifiable targets have a size of 35cm or so

As a consequence, quadcopters can be found and engaged up to 400m altitude, smaller objects such as Libelle only to about 300 meters.

Would it be possible to make bullit act like swingblade 600... Like you can launch it up... And steer and lock it to enemy drone. 

I think i saw counter drone like bullit. Used like that. 

On its current form...  Especially when assumption is that drones are used by players. Bullit is pretty much like a single mine against a bird that can move freely wherever... And likely... Detect team placing bullit... 

Unless.. something lures enemy drone to where bullit is waiting. But i see that bit unlikely. 

• Members

The idea is that if all infantry is equipped with this and plants them whenever they assume a battle poisition, you get a decent coverage against "low, slow, small" type drones and loitering munitions, at least in the vicinity of troops.

I wanted to have at least one asset that would not require active player involvement, some degree of automated attrition against something that would otherwise have very little counter.

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I wanted to have at least one asset that would not require active player involvement, some degree of automated attrition against something that would otherwise have very little counter.

Great idea, honestly. Glad to see there is a built-in counter (other than trying to creatively simulate jamming or something. ;) )

• Moderators

Right, the Bullitt drone doesn't work against the stand alone UAVs, because it would be ineffective against them (like a baseball hitting a helicopter). For those stand alone UAVs (which are essentially small planes/helicopter), air defense is what you would use.

Also, as I mentioned in the community game this week, and might be good to mention here:

Be careful about flying your own drones over a deployed Bullitt drone. It will target your own Munin/Libelle/Sb600 UAVs, which is realistic (it doesn't know any better, and friendly forces would not be communicating by radio the exact positions of their drones with other units on the ground, deploying CUAS (Counter Unmanned Aerial System - the semi-official designation) type drones, etc.). In other words, I shot my own Munin UAV down with my own Bullitt drone. Now obviously if a human was in the loop in a targeting procedure, then you could use judgement and avoid this, but probably would miss the opportunity to shoot down overflying UAVs, because you would have to micromanage them, within the narrow overflight window. 

At some point I think we should have a unified UAV/drones page in the SBwiki... (that's better said than done).

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Conversely, Libelle, SB-600, and Sprite will all only identify most military vehicles as targets, irrespective of which side they're on.

Skynet isn't bigoted. It hates all humans equally.

Even drones are woke now!