Severodonetsk Map, infantry not entering in buildings

Colebrook

• Members

The price of getting a city that looks like a city (in version 4) is to forfeit building interiors, which in turn are the prerequisite for troops to take positions inside of them. I think you will have to create delta maps of these on a case-by-case basis for your scenarios, replacing selected custom buildings with Steel Beasts standard buildings in areas where you expect urban combat/house-to-house fighting.

• Moderators

Yes, those "buildings" on the generated maps are not the best. You can't enter them (or at least most of them) and many are missing TIS textures. It just goes to show the vast difference between internally developed and QA tested buildings versus externally developed ones. 

Best thing for the community to do (as Ssnake said) is for someone to create a DELTA map of these packages, then swap out most of the buildings with the ones in SB that look close enough. That would be a helluva project, but it would vastly improve those maps to the point that they would probably get a ton of use.

Also, some of the structures could remain - like the things that aren't actually buildings (water towers for example), or the buildings that probably shouldn't be occupied anyway, and should be more treated like obstacles to movement and LOS obstructions (like the massive complexes), as long as those old retained objects have TIS textures of course (I wouldn't retain any that don't). So with a bit of effort, and a mix of buildings, those maps could turn out to be quite useful, but we would have to rely on the community for that.

Maybe a few people in the community can make that a joint project. ;) 

(I'd hate to see multiple people doing the same effort, on the same map, if this is even something people consider doing in the first place.)

i just took a look at this map, and i would suggest only replacing a few buildings at most- the custom buildings are much lower resolution geometry but at the gain of higher FPS; if the whole point is to represent a city of this size, i think replacing the buildings would wind up costing you in performance unless the visibility distance were made to look like a perpetual fog or something of this kind. i would consider adding a few structures which can be occupied rather than wholly replacing them; saves a lot of editing effort and performance gain for a scenario

• Moderators

Well, you probably do want to replace the non-TIS textured ones at the very least, and beyond that, probably the small town's houses.  Big cities should probably remain mostly as-is, but some specific buildings could be replaced to at least some occupation. But yes, I don't think someone would need to replace large scale buildings numbers of buildings - at least in a nice "version 2" delta.