Another bizarre decision? ROF, RIP...

GH_Lieste

Neoqb have announced that their WW1 flightsim Rise Of Flight (was originally to have been Knights of the Sky) is going to require an active online connection in order to play offline... You will not be able to choose to run a stable older version should an update cause issues...

So I guess that's me not interested any more :(

Greetings all,

Ref. the requirement for being on-line to play a game.

This is normally a function of checking the "Licience Key" before allowing you to play either multiplayer or single player against the computer.

"Company of Hero's -Opposing Fronts" has the same requirement, you must log in and have the version and game verified first before being allowed to select single player. A copy protection feature. One good feature is after the log on it will tell you immeditially if there is an update avail. and select it for download. You can't play until you have the latest version.

All for now ..... 9erRed

Well great... updating software is fine so long as it doesn't break the application.

If it does then a requirement to continue updating to the 'latest and greatest' before it will run is frankly dumb, stupid and a million other things.

This needn't be a general fault, it could just be additional features that just push an existing system below minimum usable specifications.

I object to even my operating system updating without:

1. Explaing what it is fixing and why
  2. Offering the option to not apply an update
  3. Allowing me to not apply an update right now
  4. Not requiring me to be online to check/update before it will run.

I might also be away from my internet connection, have an ISP problem (I had intermittent/no connection to Steelbeasts.com the SB teamspeak server, and Esimgames.net for almost 12 hours yesterday, no email for 2 days recently and no connection for 3weeks when I moved into a new flat a year ago, and I don't think my ISP is particularly poor - though I don't like their out-of-hours reporting of service status.) If I'm away from home I may have limited/no connection for a protracted time.

Phone home once a month is annoying, phone home before it will run at all, even offline is frankly beyond acceptable.