[SOUNDMOD] RSM Beta

zerocrack01

• Members

Leo 2 is hard to locate from the front +/-60° angle or so; the higher frequencies (that allow identifying directions and proximity) are largely emitted to the rear. Leo 1 is less pronounced in its directional emissions, but the overall high frequency fraction is smaller.

For both tanks, tank troops in the Bundeswehr (used to) receive a demonstration "Seeing and Listening at Night" where you demonstrate the effects of lighting and smoking a cigarette, or driving a tank up to the line of recruits and have them guess where the tank is, and how far away, and then you switch on the headlights at the last moment.

Typically, people think it's 200m away when it actually crept up to 50...20m of their position, if you have a really dark night.

The Luchs goes a step further in encapsulating the engine sound. You can still hear the bass, that's impossible to hide, but it doesn't help you in estimating the location. I had an encounter with a Luchs once in a dense forest section. I knew it was around, but I had not idea where (we weren't issued night vision goggles at the time). The best I could hear, I kid you not, was the cracking of twigs under its wheels as it slowly drove between the trees. That I still remember it some 30 years later should tell you how much it impressed me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, zerocrack01 said:

*dying noises* life is quite a struggle as a student right now must work more for insane heating costs than anything else. But yes, work on that mod goes on.

Thanks for the update. We appreciate your time and effort. Excited for this mod, but also understand that life comes first.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Arty sounds are pretty good (and others).

Back in the beginning of SB, there was but the one arty sound -- which had to be for all perspectives, so it was a one size fits all sound. Now we have three: near, mid, and distant. I always wanted to go back and redo the mid range, to have more reverb, that I couldn't do it before the "near" was implemented (otherwise it wouldn't sound right when you were under barrage). But you did exactly what I was wanting to do but haven't yet had the time, being that there are so many other things going on in development. 

What I am trying to say is:

Nice job! 👌😎👌

• 3 weeks later...

Want to finish up the Marder 1a3, but i cannot find out the 3rd person cannon sounds of allied IFV's. 1st person and player's 3rd view is known. 95% of my spent time in trying and the rest actually editing audio. It is so frustrating without proper documentation and a lot of shared sound, so it is essential to know which vehicles use it. Relying just on a list with inconsistent naming (from older versions of the game) such as: "unldBrch" (unload breach) or stbuclnk (don't know specifics, but it is used for fast elevation mechanics for the leo2) is difficult to understand as a non-native English speaker. It makes me tired..

Edited by zerocrack01

18 hours ago, zerocrack01 said:

Want to finish up the Marder 1a3, but i cannot find out the 3rd person cannon sounds of allied IFV's. 1st person and player's 3rd view is known. 95% of my spent time in trying and the rest actually editing audio. It is so frustrating without proper documentation and a lot of shared sound, so it is essential to know which vehicles use it. Relying just on a list with inconsistent naming (from older versions of the game) such as: "unldBrch" (unload breach) or stbuclnk (don't know specifics, but it is used for fast elevation mechanics for the leo2) is difficult to understand as a non-native English speaker. It makes me tired..

20mm rh202 cannon external uses files named extcal50, makes sense to me and would not suprise that a cal50 shares sounds with an actual cannon 😒