[SOUNDMOD] RSM Beta

zerocrack01

• Members

Leo 2 is hard to locate from the front +/-60° angle or so; the higher frequencies (that allow identifying directions and proximity) are largely emitted to the rear. Leo 1 is less pronounced in its directional emissions, but the overall high frequency fraction is smaller.

For both tanks, tank troops in the Bundeswehr (used to) receive a demonstration "Seeing and Listening at Night" where you demonstrate the effects of lighting and smoking a cigarette, or driving a tank up to the line of recruits and have them guess where the tank is, and how far away, and then you switch on the headlights at the last moment.

Typically, people think it's 200m away when it actually crept up to 50...20m of their position, if you have a really dark night.

The Luchs goes a step further in encapsulating the engine sound. You can still hear the bass, that's impossible to hide, but it doesn't help you in estimating the location. I had an encounter with a Luchs once in a dense forest section. I knew it was around, but I had not idea where (we weren't issued night vision goggles at the time). The best I could hear, I kid you not, was the cracking of twigs under its wheels as it slowly drove between the trees. That I still remember it some 30 years later should tell you how much it impressed me.

• Members

The relative amount of high-frequency sound should be further reduced. I'm working from memory here, but generally the Leo 1 is sounding first and foremost really bassy. It's a challenge.

• 5 weeks later...