Operation Spawn Zone

wlkngstck

Hello.

I'm trying to figure out the nuances in the Operation Spawn Zone.  I've read the manual and it seems designed to spawn random civilian population, but I'm trying to get it to spawn a series of targets that move along one of several predetermined routes before despawning if not destroyed.  In my experiments, they've tried to work their way, in either a straight line or using the fastest road routes, from their randomized spawn inside the OSZ location to a randomized despawn location in the drain zone.  In addition, I've noticed that the spawner will, instead of spawning infantry inside their APC's, will instead spawn them dismounted.  So questions:

1.  Is it possible to designated one or more preferred paths for a spawned unit to take?

2.  Is it possible to spawn mounted infantry without overwhelming the pool with many dismounted

3.  Is it possible to have units go to one drain region while other go to a different one? [I haven't played around with this yet, but it is the next natural question if it is possible to designate routes for spawned units.]

Thank you in advance.

48 minutes ago, wlkngstck said:

Hello.

I'm trying to figure out the nuances in the Operation Spawn Zone.  I've read the manual and it seems designed to spawn random civilian population, but I'm trying to get it to spawn a series of targets that move along one of several predetermined routes before despawning if not destroyed.  In my experiments, they've tried to work their way, in either a straight line or using the fastest road routes, from their randomized spawn inside the OSZ location to a randomized despawn location in the drain zone.  In addition, I've noticed that the spawner will, instead of spawning infantry inside their APC's, will instead spawn them dismounted.  So questions:

1.  Is it possible to designated one or more preferred paths for a spawned unit to take?

2.  Is it possible to spawn mounted infantry without overwhelming the pool with many dismounted

3.  Is it possible to have units go to one drain region while other go to a different one? [I haven't played around with this yet, but it is the next natural question if it is possible to designate routes for spawned units.]

Thank you in advance.

1)  They only go straight line or fastest road route.  (You can change road routes a bit by carefully moving spawn and drain zones)

2) The spawned units don’t have combat AI, so they won’t drop troops or fight. They are just eye candy really.

3) yeah easy, just use 2 spawn zones in the same place.

26 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I don't have a manual nearby, but I'm pretty sure there is a difference between an "Operational Spawn Zone" and an ordinary one used within a given scenario.

Yes good point.  We are taking about Spawn Zones and Drain Zones here.  Operational Spawn Zones are a separate thing for use when building an operation (series of scenarios packaged into a storyline).

26 minutes ago, ben said:

Yes good point.  We are taking about Spawn Zones and Drain Zones here.  Operational Spawn Zones are a separate thing for use when building an operation (series of scenarios packaged into a storyline).

You may well be but I'm just going off the topic title.

I guess one or other is a typo?

7 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

You may well be but I'm just going off the topic title.

I guess one or other is a typo

Im sure it’s a typo - if you read his intent. “Spawn random civilian population”

Thats spawn zones not operational spawn zones 👍

I am clearly confusing the two terms.  Correct me if I am wrong: a "spawn zone" is for creating random traffic while an operation spawn zone is functions very similarly to the "spawn if" function.  I'm caught between going off of memory from what was functional in 2.375/3.0 and all of the new features in 4.357.  I don't even know what I don't know.

17 minutes ago, wlkngstck said:

I am clearly confusing the two terms.  Correct me if I am wrong: a "spawn zone" is for creating random traffic while an operation spawn zone is functions very similarly to the "spawn if" function.  I'm caught between going off of memory from what was functional in 2.375/3.0 and all of the new features in 4.357.  I don't even know what I don't know.

No, that is not quite right.

I'm 90% sure you are wanting information about a "spawn" zone this is where random entries are created from a pool and then travel to related "drain" zone(s).

These are used to create things like "pattern of life" (civilian foot or road traffic, etc.).

An "Operation Spawn Zone" is used when creating an "Operation" (a package of linked scenarios - similar to the term "campaign" in other titles).

"Spawn if ..." is different again and is a logical conditional reason for a unit to spawn if the criteria is satisfied.

I think deleting the word "Operation" from the title will remove most of the confusion.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
9 hours ago, wlkngstck said:

3.  Is it possible to have units go to one drain region while other go to a different one?

1) Yes, but

...only indirectly so, see #3

2) No.

Unfortunately Steel Beasts interprets units with mounted infantry as separate prototype units, so they get separated at birth

3) Yes.

Multiple regions can be selected as Drain zones, including the Spawn zone. Units will then pick any of these with uniform likelihood.

• Members
8 hours ago, ben said:

1)  They only go straight line or fastest road route.

Technically, they will take turns to avoid obstacles (they use the navmesh). It's just that people are small and can go to most places, so they walk in a straight line most of the time.