Documentation small arms

zerocrack01

Does anyone knows to what small arms those sound file names refer too? Most names are self explanatory, but those are not. I don't even know if they are for salvo fire or single shot.  

121    smallarms.wav
143    smallarms2.wav
144    smallarms3.wav
145    smallarms4.wav
162    smallarms5.wav
163    smallarms6.wav
164    smallarms7.wav
165    smallarms8.wav

Edited by zerocrack01

I tried out some just to find out that some small arms do not share those files. For ar15 weapons, they do not use smallarms sounds, but with something else. In the other hand G36 do use them. Man, the naming is all ever place. I assume that was for backward compatibility sake.

Edited by zerocrack01

10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Maybe, but it allows us to play the sound exactly in sync with the number of fired rounds, particularly if the player holds the trigger.

Yes, indeed. Could be worked around by playing varieties of the same shot. Repeating the exact same shot with the tail end (reverb, echo) makes it quite artificial. But nothing would  substitute auto fire recording wich would be needed in the proper fire rate to every single weapon. In short, this simulation doesn't need more and i am complaining about something which is not important at all 😋

I have one issue: squad leader(or rpg7 gunner) of a finish rifle squad has his own small arms sound and i cant figure out what it is. Normal riflemans sounds are covered by my mod but this one,...i dont know. Maybe it should represent a krinkov ak which is not on the list, i dunno...

list of covered files:

smallarms
small arms 2 to 8
a_Lmg
a_M60Lmg
a_M240
a_M249
a_Mg34
a_PktCoax
a_Rpk
a_SniperRifle7_62
a_SniperRifle12_7
extCoaxloop
x_M60Lmg
x_M240
x_M249
x_Mg34
x_Pkt
x_PktCoax

x_SniperRifle12_7
x_SniperRifle7_62

extcoax
extCoaxloop

Edited by zerocrack01

• Members
3 hours ago, zerocrack01 said:

Could be worked around by playing varieties of the same shot. Repeating the exact same shot with the tail end (reverb, echo) makes it quite artificial.

Well, we typically have a start shot, the loop shots that receive a minor pitch treatment, and a last shot with reverb. We can't do that for all burst fire weapons however because of limitations of the total number of sounds that can be played/mixed simultaneously (obviously, an intense infantry battle with multiple MG3s etc. can produce a lot of simultaneous sounds).

Version 5 will get a new sound engine, of course. But even then it'll take some time to process all our original recordings again, and to add missing/extra material.

In the past it also became a memory issue, as all sounds must be kept in RAM for zero-delay playback.

9 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Well, we typically have a start shot, the loop shots that receive a minor pitch treatment, and a last shot with reverb. We can't do that for all burst fire weapons however because of limitations of the total number of sounds that can be played/mixed simultaneously (obviously, an intense infantry battle with multiple MG3s etc. can produce a lot of simultaneous sounds).

Version 5 will get a new sound engine, of course. But even then it'll take some time to process all our original recordings again, and to add missing/extra material.

In the past it also became a memory issue, as all sounds must be kept in RAM for zero-delay playback.

Looking forward to V5, it will pleasure for my ears and especially my eyes(new UI). Thanks for the insight 🙂

Edited by zerocrack01

13 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Maybe, but it allows us to play the sound exactly in sync with the number of fired rounds, particularly if the player holds the trigger.

What I don't understand about this logic is that AFV mg's are played in a looped mode yet there are no issues - or are there?

• Moderators

All the "smallarms" sounds are one-shot, only used for rifles. The named MGs are used for the infantry MGs, and "OHW" type vehicle weapons. The exception being the RPK sound, which is used for the infantry's "phantom MG" (SAW), but it could be that one is used for "blue" and another one for "red" (I don't recall off the top of my head).

The tanks use a looping coaxial MG sound because that's what they had back in 1999 and it has remained that way. They have a loop, and a loop-end sample.  Then there "3rd person" coaxial MG sound is a three round burst, because a looping sound cannot be correctly time delayed over distance.

I see the comment in the "wish list" - but the reason the MG sounds changed to one-shots is because each shot could be slightly pitch shifted to sound different, and so we don't need this terrible one-shot three round burst sound in order to time-delay-over-distance a looping sound. So, the one-shot to end sample is an improvement. The proper evolution here would be to make the coaxial MGs work in that way, not the other way around.

38 minutes ago, Volcano said:

All the "smallarms" sounds are one-shot, only used for rifles. The named MGs are used for the infantry MGs, and "OHW" type vehicle weapons. The exception being the RPK sound, which is used for the infantry's "phantom MG" (SAW), but it could be that one is used for "blue" and another one for "red" (I don't recall off the top of my head).

The tanks use a looping coaxial MG sound because that's what they had back in 1999 and it has remained that way. They have a loop, and a loop-end sample.  Then there "3rd person" coaxial MG sound is a three round burst, because a looping sound cannot be correctly time delayed over distance.

I see the comment in the "wish list" - but the reason the MG sounds changed to one-shots is because each shot could be slightly pitch shifted to sound different, and so we don't need this terrible one-shot three round burst sound in order to time-delay-over-distance a looping sound. So, the one-shot to end sample is an improvement. The proper evolution here would be to make the coaxial MGs work in that way, not the other way around.

The issue for me is not that there is single shot, but there is only ONE sound sample. I dont think that automatic fire can be replicated with one sound sample even though pitch shifting might ease the problem. The more elegant way would be to have a recording of automatic fire and cut it into single round fire. In that way you chain it and then end it with an open tail. 

Here an example with 2 tracks: 1st is with only one exact sample every time, 2nd with every shot being a different sample, hear the difference? Of course in the single sample example SB would change pitch, but the point is that the program has to load a lot of sounds into the RAM and I think that was also the point of ssnake.