Help with "changertexture.dds"

Splash

I'm trying update/rework some higher-rez Leopard interior graphics based on some outdated files in the download section.  Specifically, the works by Hase.

A problem I've encountered is that while I'm able to upgrade the various illuminated button labels by modifying the "changertexture.dds", doing so causes a loss of the displayed telemetry. 

I've tried several approaches, all unsuccessfully.

I'm hoping someone at eSim can clue me in to the necessary export settings for the file ... or perhaps another modder has already cracked this nut.

SS_12_33_33.jpg

SS_12_32_29.jpg

I looked at it, and I'm not sure.  My first thought was that perhaps you were saving the DDS with the "generate mip maps" option.  And that this file might be one were that could cause a problem.   But it appears the original file has mip maps...   So still not sure, you could try saving without mip maps checked, see what happens.  This file should not need them AFAIK.   Also double check you are saving it with " DXT1          RGB   4 bpp | no alpha"  option. 

Thanks. I've been saving without mip maps all along. 

I've tried no compression, DXT1, DXT3 and DXT5. My DDS plugin for GIMP doesn't offer a 4 bpp | no alpha option, only an RGBA4, which was another fail. I've been using RGB8 -- though I also tried RGBA8 once with no luck.

Converting the image to 4 bit in another app just seems to lose all color detail. You sure it's supposed to be 4 bit? The original seems to be 8 bit.

I guess I'll shelve the idea of higher-rez buttons, since the changertexture.dds is such a mystery.

But I'd still like some help updating the higher-rez interior panels for the Leopard. For now, a couple of issues (screenshots below):

On the commander's display, there's a box below the nameplate that seems to contain a series of alpha-numerics; with the lower left one in blue.
Top line appears to be something like x0 x1 x2 x3 x4, with x being maybe a letter? Bottom line similar, same letters but with different numbers. It's hard to tell from the blurry stock texture, and I can't find a web image clear enough to decipher.

On the other display (made by AEG; don't know what it's called), the field for speed in km/h is missing a label on the stock texture, but from a video I found showing a Leopard 2A4 interior, it should have one -- I just can't tell what it should say. It appears in the vid to be about the name number of letters as HOHE above it -- maybe a little longer. I assume from the SBWiki the label should be "Speed" ... but the abbreviation for Geschwindigkeit I've used is too long. Could "GESCH." be right? Or could "SPEED" be appropriate in German?

Would appreciate any help.

SS_16_22_09.png

SS_16_22_42.png

• Members
44 minutes ago, Splash said:

On the commander's display,

That would be the "TIM" (might, ingeniously, stand for Thermal Image Monitor...)

On the other display (made by AEG; don't know what it's called)

That would actually be the "Commander's Display Unit" (Kommandantenanzeigegerät - German worde are awesome)

But, back to your real questions:

there's a box below the nameplate that seems to contain a series of alpha-numerics; with the lower left one in blue.
Top line appears to be something like x0 x1 x2 x3 x4, with x being maybe a letter? Bottom line similar, same letters but with different numbers. It's hard to tell from the blurry stock texture, and I can't find a web image clear enough to decipher.

I suspect it's the marking of a service date. I found the original photo, so it was sequentially numbered 00 01 02 03 04, 05 marked in blue, then 06 07 08 09 to indicate in which year the next inspection might be due. Completely inconsequential. The font type is some form of Helvetica. It's a sticker (black background, light grey or silver text), not part of the instrument itself.

On the other display (made by AEG; don't know what it's called), the field for speed in km/h is missing a label on the stock texture, but from a video I found showing a Leopard 2A4 interior, it should have one -- I just can't tell what it should say.

VKPZ (with KPZ half a notch lower to indicate it's an index): Velocity (tank).

The photos aren't mine, so I can't share them.