Scenarios question and controller

LegionnaireDan

Hello,

I just bought a few hours ago SB and wanted to ask you where do I place the zip files scenarios that I can download here. I looked into my onedrive folder and there is a scenario folder but when I launch the game the scenarios doesn't show up in my game. Also on my C drive there is no scenario folder. Also what kind of joystick should I use for this game or controller?

Thank you

Edited by LegionnaireDan

• LegionnaireDan changed the title to Scenarios question and controller
28 minutes ago, LegionnaireDan said:

Hello,

I just bought a few hours ago SB and wanted to ask you where do I place the zip files scenarios that I can download here. I looked into my onedrive folder and there is a scenario folder but when I launch the game the scenarios doesn't show up in my game. Also on my C drive there is no scenario folder. Also what kind of joystick should I use for this game or controller?

Thank you

Welcome!

You'll find the scenario files in two places:

1. Scenarios that come with the software (assuming you are running a fairly current version of Windows): C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\scenarios.

Unfortunately Windows by default "hides" this directory.

2. Scenarios that you create / download (assuming you installed on C:\): C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios. Where "XXXX" is your username.

You need to decompress / expand the Zip file.

If "onedrive" (I'm not familiar with it) is some sort of cloud / file share then that's unlikely to be the right place.

Mouse / HOTAS / Joystick is a whole world of personal preference / possibilities:

Are you left handed?

Do you need to move from place to place with your setup?

Is your setup fixed in place?

Have you already bought a controller to use with something  else?

Edited by Gibsonm

Hello 

Thanks for answering me, I appreciate it.

Are you left handed? No right handed

Do you need to move from place to place with your setup?  No I do not

Is your setup fixed in place? Yes it is

Have you already bought a controller to use with something  else? I have a Xbox controller but also a Hotas warthog

Thank you

3 minutes ago, LegionnaireDan said:

Hello 

Thanks for answering me, I appreciate it.

Are you left handed? No right handed

Do you need to move from place to place with your setup?  No I do not

Is your setup fixed in place? Yes it is

Have you already bought a controller to use with something  else? I have a Xbox controller but also a Hotas warthog

Thank you

You may find the Warthog works (I have never used one).

However using more than one controller (say Warthog and Joystick) becomes more complex (you need to select which one you want to use).

15 minutes ago, LegionnaireDan said:

Hello,

Well then I will use only my Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, if it's BEST for this sim. As for the Xbox will won't be using it

Thank you 

LegionnaireDan

BEST is subjective.

If it does what you want and costs you nothing (because  you already own it) that's great.

Whether it works better that say a set of dedicated gunner's control handles, or if someone else thinks product Z is better, I can't say.

Personally I use a mouse, primarily as I move from site to site to run sessions, I want to ensure I'm using the same kit as the Trainees.

• Members

I find the Warthog somewhat contentious because the centering spring is very stiff, which makes it a somewhat needless challenge to operate it with high precision when tracking targets. But if you're accustomed to it, by all means go for it. Most of the time I find myself working with keyboard and mouse only, which works just fine except for the more esoteric functions like toggling through the many modes of the more complex fire control systems of the CV90/35 (fuze modes, open/closed bolt, burst spread pattern, ...); these are set in the original vehicle on the gunner's control handle. Accessing them through keyboard hotkeys is possible - but awkward.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:43 AM, Ssnake said:

I find the Warthog somewhat contentious because the centering spring is very stiff, which makes it a somewhat needless challenge to operate it with high precision when tracking targets. But if you're accustomed to it, by all means go for it. Most of the time I find myself working with keyboard and mouse only, which works just fine except for the more esoteric functions like toggling through the many modes of the more complex fire control systems of the CV90/35 (fuze modes, open/closed bolt, burst spread pattern, ...); these are set in the original vehicle on the gunner's control handle. Accessing them through keyboard hotkeys is possible - but awkward.

SSnake,

You should try the spring mod for the Warthog show in this video:

It costs nothing and doesn't damage any parts. (You can also "customize" the tension with some small washers if desired?)

• Members

I don't have one, so I don't really care; whether you're using an F-16 or A-10 flights stick replica or a standard commercial grade joystick; none of them is going to be a good fit for the actual control handles in 95% of all cases ... but having multiple control handles, one for each tank model (split by CDR and GNR, of course) is a non-starter for obvious reasons.

So it all comes down to personal preferences. My preference is to do away with all of this, and use keyboard and mouse only. Works well enough, doesn't steal real estate on my desk (which I use for work 99% of the time). For others, the balance will be different.

All I'm saying is, if people go for a stick "for immersion" purposes, it's almost always going to be a willing suspension of disbelief or a rationalization. You like using a joystick? That's perfectly fine. You prefer model X over Y? Use X, if you can.

13 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

All I'm saying is, if people go for a stick "for immersion" purposes, it's almost always going to be a willing suspension of disbelief or a rationalization.

I use a joystick for ergonomics. Joysticks like the Warthogs have multiple buttons that can be accessed with the right-hand while still performing aiming. (This is why I think using and actual gunner's control is not practical unless you also have all of the other switch/control panels available to a real tanker.)

Unfortunately, 36 years of using bad computer input devices makes me avoid using a keyboard whenever possible.

48 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

"controllers used in tanks are all fairly similar [to the X-Box controller]"

Talk about drawing conclusions from a sample size of one. ;)  ... the one that happens to be the market outlier. :D

Ah well it is a UK programme so they are likely to generalise based on their own platform.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:17 PM, Gibsonm said:

However using more than one controller (say Warthog and Joystick) becomes more complex (you need to select which one you want to use).

Given that the XBOX analog sticks would be of limited use for anything requiring precise control, LegionnaireDan can use it as additional keyboard. There are 3rd party tools for mapping keyboard and mouse actions to joysticks. (I can recommend XPADDER has an inexpensive and capable utility for this.)

The one thing at LegionnaireDan will have to contend with is how to secure the XBOX controller so he can use it one-handed. I adapted a gamepad to mount to my desk to allow this.