New Map Terraine Themes

EasyE

1 hour ago, EasyE said:

Looks like we have some new themes made up of new textures and buildings that come with the Ukraine focused maps.

Is there a way we can use these with our map editor?

Thanks

I'm not sure if you can but just a caveat ....

Some of those introduced buildings are there more for "show" (i.e. they can not be occupied by troops, etc.) than practical use.

It appears to be the result of some compromises made to roll out big maps quickly.

I'll try and find the relevant thread.

6 minutes ago, EasyE said:

Thanks

Is there a way to mix fall themes and spring. 

Ie there are elements in a theme for the Hi Res Woodland Spring and Fall I would like to combine together for a theme.  

Not easily.

As far as I know, this would require you to take one of those themes as a baseline and then edit the values to reflect whatever you wanted.

Say start with Woodland and then edit so that, for example, Tree 1 (I can't recall offhand the label for the first vegetation type) was the Spring option and Tree 2 was the Fall option. Then doing the same with the terrain types.

On 10/12/2022 at 8:15 PM, Gibsonm said:

Not easily.

As far as I know, this would require you to take one of those themes as a baseline and then edit the values to reflect whatever you wanted.

Say start with Woodland and then edit so that, for example, Tree 1 (I can't recall offhand the label for the first vegetation type) was the Spring option and Tree 2 was the Fall option. Then doing the same with the terrain types.

Okay. Maybe it will be easier to request a new terrain theme?

What I had in mind was

Use the base ESim_  European Woodland High Vis woods Spring 

Replace field B, C, D, and Sand   With 

Add The Wheat field from the new Ukrainian maps.

Add Dry from the ESim  European Woodland High Vis woods Summer

Add Grass from  European Woodland High Vis woods Fall

Add Scrub from  European Woodland High Vis woods Fall

Call It "grassland" or whatever

image.thumb.jpeg.892ef15bb261e092626b30ac6d07705c.jpeg

Is this a big ask? 

Anyhow if anyone could create this for me it would be appreciated.

19 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

Sounds like you should go through the learning process and create it. 

Some of us have demanding jobs.  If you know any other petroleum engineers with lots of time these days please let me know.  

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I would mark this as as the Solution, if I could.

I think I went out of my way to ask politely; I am fine if the answer is no.  There is a whole section related to "map requests" after all.

Do you normally respond to such requests of long-time paying customers with this attitude? 

5 minutes ago, EasyE said:

Some of us have demanding jobs.  If you know any other petroleum engineers with lots of time these days please let me know.  

I too have a demanding job. Many others here have them as well. Time management is an important skill. 

I would argue that if you are going into the minutia of describing the exact patters you want for a custom theme, you could devote some time to learning to do it, if that is something important to you. 

I would start on page 187 in the manual and read to page 189. I assume that even a very busy person like yourself can make time to read two pages at some point during your life. 

• Members

The time-consuming part is to decide which mobility properties you want, and setting them. By the time you have prepared the Excel-Table for the would-be little helper as a reference, you'll probably have invested as much time as it costs to figure out how the Theme Editor works, if not more. And when you actually go out and check if the supplied theme actually has all the parameter values as you want them, you have not only drawn on the time of someone else but wasted more of your own time than if you had done it directly.

I'm sorry if my initial remark came across so negatively. But doing it yourself is, objectively, the correct answer because it not only takes nobody else's time but less of your own as well.

45 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

I too have a demanding job. Many others here have them as well. Time management is an important skill. 

I would argue that if you are going into the minutia of describing the exact patters you want for a custom theme, you could devote some time to learning to do it, if that is something important to you. 

I would start on page 187 in the manual and read to page 189. I assume that even a very busy person like yourself can make time to read two pages at some point during your life. 

Did you read what I requested?  I am trying to combine fall and woodland textures which I managed to do but include some of the newer textures, which currently at least to me doesn't seem possible, which is why I made the request.

If the newer textures are not available that is fine. I don't need a lecture on time management or reading the manual.

A simple this is not possible at this time works.

11 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

The time-consuming part is to decide which mobility properties you want, and setting them. By the time you have prepared the Excel-Table for the would-be little helper as a reference, you'll probably have invested as much time as it costs to figure out how the Theme Editor works, if not more. And when you actually go out and check if the supplied theme actually has all the parameter values as you want them, you have not only drawn on the time of someone else but wasted more of your own time than if you had done it directly.

I'm sorry if my initial remark came across so negatively. But doing it yourself is, objectively, the correct answer because it not only takes nobody else's time but less of your own as well.

I have used the editor, I posted some pictures of my map work before. 

As my response above if I am not able to use the newer textures in a custom theme then that is fine.  That is where I am getting hung up mostly. 

Again, I am not making demands of anyone.  If no one has time or ability that is okay.  

Just trying to use what little time I have to make a few maps for everyone...

• Members

I find it most useful to have a window of the Windows File Explorer open with the contents of the textures folder in the tile view mode that gives you a preview of pictures. That makes it much easier to identify which texture you want for a given terrain type, if you run SB Pro in windowed mode.

5 hours ago, EasyE said:

Did you read what I requested?  I am trying to combine fall and woodland textures which I managed to do but include some of the newer textures, which currently at least to me doesn't seem possible, which is why I made the request.

Yes, I read what you requested. I also gave my response. Which you clearly didn't like.