No Sound

AverageWarCrime

1) Please check in-game sound level(Main Menu>Options>Audio or, while playing a scenario- Alt+S)

2) Try to reset user's options file by launching SB in a Safe mode (Start menu>eSim Games>Troubleshooting>'Steel Beasts Pro PE (safe mode)' shortcut)

3) Do you experience loss of sound with SB only, or some other software, including operation system itself is also affected?

4) Do you have any kind of sound 'enhancer' software (especially 'Nahimic') running?

5) Any recent driver updates?

6) Try to run SB in debug mode (Start menu>eSim Games>Troubleshooting>Steel Beasts Pro PE (debug)) and please send log files collected in debug mode session to us by e-mail(please do not upload them to this forum)

12 hours ago, Jartsev said:

1) Please check in-game sound level(Main Menu>Options>Audio or, while playing a scenario- Alt+S)

2) Try to reset user's options file by launching SB in a Safe mode (Start menu>eSim Games>Troubleshooting>'Steel Beasts Pro PE (safe mode)' shortcut)

3) Do you experience loss of sound with SB only, or some other software, including operation system itself is also affected?

4) Do you have any kind of sound 'enhancer' software (especially 'Nahimic') running?

5) Any recent driver updates?

6) Try to run SB in debug mode (Start menu>eSim Games>Troubleshooting>Steel Beasts Pro PE (debug)) and please send log files collected in debug mode session to us by e-mail(please do not upload them to this forum)

My sound in game is at 100. I ran it in safe mode and it still doesnt have sound. There is no sound only in steel beasts. I dont have any sound enhancer. I had a driver update a week ago. I will run the debug mode and send the logs. I have usb headphones but I dont think its the problem because it worked before.

Edited by AverageWarCrime

• Moderators

Any information about your hardware? Sounds card, if any, and if not then your sound device? 

Windows -> Device Manager -> Sound, video and game controllers

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-sound-or-audio-problems-in-windows-73025246-b61c-40fb-671a-2535c7cd56c8

(general Windows troubleshooting that might help)

(Other than that, you could/should probably uninstall SB and reinstall it and see if that helps, as a very basic step 1 troubleshooting attempt.)

1 hour ago, Volcano said:

Any information about your hardware? Sounds card, if any, and if not then your sound device? 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-sound-or-audio-problems-in-windows-73025246-b61c-40fb-671a-2535c7cd56c8

(Other than that, you could/should probably uninstall SB and reinstall it and see if that helps, as a very basic step 1 troubleshooting attempt.)

This is my sound card and all my audio stuff. I have already reinstalled the game and that didn't work. The audio was working for like 6 months now I dont know what happened. Its only on steel beasts nothing else.

Capture.PNG

5 hours ago, Volcano said:

I went into my debug log and it says "CSound ERROR: Incompatible WAVE file format
CSound ERROR: Could not read wave header
CSound ERROR: File could not be opened" 

• Moderators

Option A

First question is, do you have any sound mods installed?  If you do, then most likely there is a sound file in there that is of an incompatible type (my guess is that saved as ADPCM .wav file instead of PCM .wav file -- the most common error that people do). Then when SB tries to load it, it probably fails and just gives up loading any sounds. You can test this by going to your mods folder, and putting all files in the mods\sounds\FX and mods\sounds\voices\(whatever language you may have altered) into a ZIP file, then delete the mod files there, reload and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help...

Option B

Now this is speculation territory here, as the previous seems more like the cause here.  But, speculating -- if I am not mistaken, if you are utilizing NVIDIA device as your primary sound device, then that would imply that audio will be coming through HDMI cable (from the video card) -- which further implies that you would only hear the audio through speakers attached to the display where the HDMI connects to. If that is the case, you are far better off disabling the NVIDIA audio devices, and instead using the Realtek Audio as your primary audio device, in which case you would be connected speakers to the back of your PC via audio jack or fiber optic.

The point is, you could be having audio going to a source where speakers aren't connected. Maybe try swapping your primary sound device?

55 minutes ago, Volcano said:

Option A

First question is, do you have any sound mods installed?  If you do, then most likely there is a sound file in there that is of an incompatible type (my guess is that saved as ADPCM .wav file instead of PCM .wav file -- the most common error that people do). Then when SB tries to load it, it probably fails and just gives up loading any sounds. You can test this by going to your mods folder, and putting all files in the mods\sounds\FX and mods\sounds\voices\(whatever language you may have altered) into a ZIP file, then delete the mod files there, reload and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help...

Option B

Now this is speculation territory here, as the previous seems more like the cause here.  But, speculating -- if I am not mistaken, if you are utilizing NVIDIA device as your primary sound device, then that would imply that audio will be coming through HDMI cable (from the video card) -- which further implies that you would only hear the audio through speakers attached to the display where the HDMI connects to. If that is the case, you are far better off disabling the NVIDIA audio devices, and instead using the Realtek Audio as your primary audio device, in which case you would be connected speakers to the back of your PC via audio jack or fiber optic.

The point is, you could be having audio going to a source where speakers aren't connected. Maybe try swapping your primary sound device?

I dont have any mods installed and I use headphones which are named "Razer Audio Controller - Chat." Do you think its my 2nd monitor because I switched it from VGA to HDMI then the games audio stopped working. My 1st or main monitor is connected  through VGA which I have had no problem running the game with.

• Moderators

If you have your NVIDIA HDMI setup as the primary audio source, then the audio would be going through an HDMI cable, to your display (image its like a TV here), then to your headphones from the display. It's why I said that it would make more sense to have the Realtek as your primary audio device instead -- NVIDIA audio is really for when a TV with speakers is hooked up and there are not other means of audio.  I mean what do you have your headphones connected  to (what jack) and how?  It just sounds like your audio setup is questionable -- you'd have to go into Windows and do a test of the audio to see what you can hear, and look at the slider settings for your audio devices. Then also, in Windows, you have a separate audio slider for each application, and should make sure you don't have SB muted. So, it can get complicated there.

Either way, that doesn't explain the log file. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling SB? 

• Moderators

The other thing you can try is when SB is running in a mission, open up the Sound playback dialog and scroll up and down that long list of devices you have, and see if the EQ bar to the right on any of them is "lighting up".  If it is, then the audio is being played on another device.

Honestly, I don't see how you can have so many audio devices in that list (it scrolls). The best thing to do would be figure out which of those might be considered excess and right click on them and disable them so that you have only the ones you actually use active.   What are the names of all the other devices in the scroll list? 🤔

• Members

My naive impression is that the NVidia sound is to transmit sound through HDMI/DisplayLink. It seems unlikely that you use those connections with your headphone, unless you jack it into the monitor or use an amplifier or so; so maybe changing the audio device will solve the problem.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Volcano said:

The other thing you can try is when SB is running in a mission, open up the Sound playback dialog and scroll up and down that long list of devices you have, and see if the EQ bar to the right on any of them is "lighting up".  If it is, then the audio is being played on another device.

Have you tried this? We are sort of grasping at straws here with the info available, but this would be a primary indication if the sound is being sent to another device that is not in use. Do you see any of the audio devices EQ bar in that dialog lighting up green when in Execution of SB, and if so, which one?

4 hours ago, Volcano said:

Have you tried this? We are sort of grasping at straws here with the info available, but this would be a primary indication if the sound is being sent to another device that is not in use. Do you see any of the audio devices EQ bar in that dialog lighting up green when in Execution of SB, and if so, which one?

None of the devices are lighting up. I tried reinstalling it on a different hard drive but it didn't fix it.

I recently had a similar issue.  Where I would lose all sound once the game launched.   Still not sure why it happened, but the temp fix for me was to launch the game in windowed mode.   Was playing in full screen.   That fixed it for me.   

My setup was/is  PC>HDMI cable>Sony 5.1 receiver>HDMI cable>4K TV.   

In the past, I would launch the game, there would be a brief hang with the audio, then it would "come back".   Example, Teamspeak would be muted in the background for a second or so while the game loaded.   Then after many months, it just stopped working...   Now no sound at all, no matter what I do.   Pretty sure its an nvidia issue, and I did update the driver.  Still no dice, it is strange. 

• 2 months later...

Yes. I'm having the exact same problem. All the other games I run work just fine. I just bought this game and it looks like the sound is NEVER going to work. Great.   This is from the debug log : [16:34:34,254] CSound ERROR: Incompatible WAVE file format [16:34:34,254] CSound ERROR: Could not read wave header [16:34:34,254] CSound ERROR: File could not be opened [16:34:34,254] CGame ERROR: Could not initialize sound card!

6 minutes ago, Nomad 99 said:

... Is there supposed to be anything other than the sound.mrf file in the sound directory? I so, it is otherwise empty.

That's all I have and mine is fine.

Most of the in game sounds are here:

C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\sounds\FX

XXXXXX = your user account.

2 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

That's all I have and mine is fine.

Most of the in game sounds are here:

C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\sounds\FX

XXXXXX = your user account.

Ten THAT'S THE PROBLEM LOL! those folders are all empty! should I try uninstalling and then reinstalling?